Quotes

DesertRose

Superstar
“Perfection of character is this: to live each day as if it were your last, without frenzy, without apathy, without pretence.”

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”

“How much time he gains who does not look to see what his neighbour says or does or thinks, but only at what he does himself, to make it just and holy.”

Marcus Aurelius,
Meditations

Last edited:
Either the State for ever, crushing individual and local life, taking over in all fields of human activity, bringing with it its wars and its domestic struggles for power, its palace revolutions which only replace one tyrant by another, and inevitably at the end of this development there is ... death!​

Or the destruction of States, and new life starting again in thousands of centers on the principle of the lively initiative of the individual and groups and that of free agreement.​
The choice lies with you!​

- Peter Kropotkin

A soon as we study animals — not in laboratories and museums only, but in the forest and prairie, in the steppe and in the mountains — we at once perceive that though there is an immense amount of warfare and extermination going on amidst various species, and especially amidst various classes of animals, there is, at the same time, as much, or perhaps even more, of mutual support, mutual aid, and mutual defence amidst animals belonging to the same species or, at least, to the same society. Sociability is as much a law of nature as mutual struggle. Of course it would be extremely difficult to estimate, however roughly, the relative numerical importance of both these series of facts. But if we resort to an indirect test, and ask Nature: "Who are the fittest: those who are continually at war with each other, or those who support one another?" we at once see that those animals which acquire habits of mutual aid are undoubtedly the fittest. They have more chances to survive, and they attain, in their respective classes, the highest development and bodily organization. If the numberless facts which can be brought forward to support this view are taken into account, we may safely say that mutual aid is as much a law of animal life as mutual struggle; but that as a factor of evolution, it most probably has a far greater importance, inasmuch as it favors the development of such habits and characters as insure the maintenance and further development of the species, together with the greatest amount of welfare and enjoyment of life for the individual, with the least waste of energy.​

- Peter Kropotkin

DesertRose

Superstar
Ibn al-Qayyim wrote that "if you don't understand people, you'll see the oppressor as being the oppressed,
the one in the right as being the one in the wrong, and vice versa.
You'll be tricked & deceived.
The heretic will appear as a friend,
the liar will appear as honest,
and every denier will wear a false garment to cover his sins, lies, and indecency.
And because of your ignorance of how people are, you can't distinguish this from that.
So you must understand people and their various tricks & methods of deception."
Tarek Mehanna

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
“After I have read the Quran, I realized that all what humanity needs is this heavenly law.”

“The legislation of Quran will spread all over the world, because it agrees with the mind, logic and wisdom.” – Leo Tolstoy

“After I have read the Quran, I realized that all what humanity needs is this heavenly law.”

“The legislation of Quran will spread all over the world, because it agrees with the mind, logic and wisdom.” – Leo Tolstoy
I was unable to verify the veracity of these quotes, which I am not doubting. Your first quote of his, I can understand as I respect Islam for the same reason. Same reason Napoleon did. It’s more logical, it relies less on miracle than Christianity does. There is also less controversy over its interpretation.

Which is also not to say that Tolstoy believed in some things that are at odds with Islam ( pacifism, in the strictest sense of the word, and that God was not an active sentient being ) . I’m not looking to start a religious confrontation with you at all, but there is no proof that Tolstoy reverted at the end of his life.

I’m also not saying that Tolstoy wasn’t a man of his time, that things haven’t changed, or that he thinks for me or that everything he believed in translates to the year 2019.

Last edited:

Karlysymon

Superstar
"Abraham Lincoln, allegedly the 16th and most beloved President of these United States. I say “allegedly” here because it is hard to see how someone could be the president of an entity that didn’t actually exist. And the reality is that during Lincoln’s tenure, there was no such thing as the “United” States. There were Northern states presided over by Washington, and there were Confederate states presided over by a parallel government in Richmond, but there certainly weren’t any “united” states. Wouldn’t it then be just as accurate to describe Jefferson Davis as the 16th president of the United States? Just checking." ~Dave McGowan

Last edited: