Quotes

And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me – indeed I am near. I respond to the supplication of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be guided.​

Commenting on this ayah, Imam al-Sa’di wrote:

هذا جواب سؤال، سأل النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم بعض أصحابه فقالوا: يا رسول الله, أقريب ربنا فنناجيه, أم بعيد فنناديه؟ فنزل: { وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ } لأنه تعالى الرقيب الشهيد, المطلع على السر وأخفى, يعلم خائنة الأعين وما تخفي الصدور, فهو قريب أيضا من داعيه, بالإجابة، ولهذا قال: { أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ } ـ

This is an answer to a question that was asked of the Prophet (ﷺ) by some of his companions. They said, “O Messenger of Allah, is our Lord near such that we should converse with Him quietly, or is He far-off such that we should cry out to him aloud?” So He revealed, “And when My servants ask you concerning Me – indeed I am near” – for He is al-Raqeeb (the Responsive) al-Shaheed (the Witness), familiar with what is secretly hidden and concealed, He knows the treachery of the eye and what is concealed in the breasts. So is also near to the one who supplicates to Him with a response, and so He said, “I respond to the supplication of the supplicant when he calls upon Me“.

والدعاء نوعان: دعاء عبادة, ودعاء مسألة. والقرب نوعان: قرب بعلمه من كل خلقه, وقرب من عابديه وداعيه بالإجابة والمعونة والتوفيق. ـ

And supplication is of two kinds: 1) supplication of worship, and 2) supplication of request.

And nearness is of two kinds: 1) the nearness of His knowledge to every one of His creations, and 2) the nearness of His response, aid and granting of success to His devoted slaves and those who call upon Him.

فمن دعا ربه بقلب حاضر, ودعاء مشروع, ولم يمنع مانع من إجابة الدعاء, كأكل الحرام ونحوه, فإن الله قد وعده بالإجابة، وخصوصا إذا أتى بأسباب إجابة الدعاء, وهي الاستجابة لله تعالى بالانقياد لأوامره ونواهيه القولية والفعلية, والإيمان به الموجب للاستجابة، فلهذا قال: { فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُوا لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُوا بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ } أي: يحصل لهم الرشد الذي هو الهداية للإيمان والأعمال الصالحة, ويزول عنهم الغي المنافي للإيمان والأعمال الصالحة. ولأن الإيمان بالله والاستجابة لأمره سبب لحصول العلم كما قال تعالى: { يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِنْ تَتَّقُوا اللَّهَ يَجْعَلْ لَكُمْ فُرْقَانًا }. ـ

So whoever supplicates to His Lord with an attentive heart and a legislated supplication, and there is no preventing force impeding the response of the supplication – such as the consumption of unlawful substances and the like -, then certainly Allah had promised him a response. This is especially so when he brings the causes of responding to a supplication, which are responding to Allah with compliance to His commands and prohibitions – both in terms of speech and action -, eemaan in Him in the necessity of the response. For this reason He said, “So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be guided,” – meaning, they will receive al-rushd which is guidance to al-eemaan and righteous actions, and preclusion and straying from al-eemaan and righteous actions will be taken away from them. And that is because al-eemaan in Allah and responding to His commands are causes for obtaining al-‘ilm, just as Allah said, “O you who have believed, if you fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion” [8:29].

[Taysir al-Kareem al-Rahman pg. 84]

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
Books are but waste paper unless we spend in action the wisdom we get from thought - asleep. When we are weary of the living, we may repair to the dead, who have nothing of peevishness, pride, or design in their conversation.
William Butler Yeats

What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

DesertRose

Superstar
We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
Orson Welles

One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.
Jim Morrison

A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world.
Leo Buscaglia

True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island... to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing.
Baltasar Gracian

“A man will follow the religion of his close friend, so let each one of you look at whom he befriends.” Narrated by Abu Dawood and al-Tirmidhi

Last edited:

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
Gnosis 1, Boris Mouravieff

The question is: who is a rich man? Rich, in the esoteric sense, is someone who
assigns real value to his Personality; who places his confidence and hopes in it.
This is independent of whether he has many belongings or possesses nothing.
To set out on the Way, man must necessarily go through an inner collapse of
the Personality, what we call moral bankruptcy. Then he will know the vain
illusion of pride, and the true value of humility. Rich man or beggar, he will
have become poor in spirit. Now he can easily slip through the needle's eye, for
it is said:
'Happy are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.' '