Quotes

DesertRose

Superstar
Some more for you....:)
“When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not.” Return of the Jedi
“Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.” Attack of the Clones
“That is why you fail.” The Empire Strikes Back
“A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.” The Empire Strikes Back
“Adventure. Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things.” The Empire Strikes Back (DR: Speak for yourself Yoda We are not dead!" In retrospect, you are right Yoda....drama sucks!"
“Judge me by my size, do you?” The Empire Strikes Back (DR: I can relate BUT "Nice things come in small packages"! Or so I was consoled.......:)
“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.” The Phantom Menace
“Wars not make one great.” The Empire Strikes Back (DR: Someone please tell the war mongers)!
“Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.” The Empire Strikes Back

Last edited:

LadyNocturna33

Established
  • Before none of your printed idols do I bend in acquiescence, and he who saith "thou shalt" to me is my mortal foe!
  • No hoary falsehood shall be a truth to me; no stifling dogma shall encramp my pen!
  • Definition of Good and Evil: Good is what you like. Evil is what you don't like.

DesertRose

Superstar
“Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit with which to tackle the big challenges; it should allow you to find values which will be your roadmap through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are, whomever you are with; it should teach you what is important, how to live and how to die.”

“The primary goal of real education is not to deliver facts but to guide students to the truths that will allow them to take responsibility for their lives.”

“I've concluded that genius is as common as dirt. We suppress genius because we haven't yet figured out how to manage a population of educated men and women. The solution, I think, is simple and glorious. Let them manage themselves.”

“Pick up a fifth-grade math or rhetoric textbook from 1850 and you’ll see that the texts were pitched then on what would today be considered college level. The continuing cry for “basic skills” practice is a smoke screen”

“Schools teach exactly what they are intended to teach and they do it well: how to be a good Egyptian and remain in your place in the pyramid.”

“I feel ashamed that so many of us cannot imagine a better way to do things than locking children up all day in cells instead of letting them grow up knowing their families, mingling with the world, assuming real obligations, striving to be independent and self-reliant and free.”

“As a writer, politician, scientist, and businessman, [Ben] Franklin had few equals among the educated of his day—though he left school at ten. (...)
Boys like Andrew Carnegie who begged his mother not to send him to school and was well on his way to immortality and fortune at the age of thirteen, would be referred today for psychological counseling; Thomas Edison would find himself in Special Ed until his peculiar genius had been sufficiently tamed.”

All quotes from:

John Taylor Gatto, Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling

Here is his book featured for free at this website: Enjoy!

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/08/john-taylor-gatto/bianca-you-animal-shut-up/

DesertRose

Superstar
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe".
Frederick Douglass

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." Frederick Douglass

My favorite:
"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress".
Frederick Douglass

My favorite:

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for – and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing. It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool – for love – for your dreams – for the adventure of being alive.

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer