Quotes

Handcar

Rookie
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ― Aristotle

The first step towards philosophy is incredulity ― Diderot

He suffers more than necessary, who suffers before it is necessary ― Seneca

Karlysymon

Superstar
Peer review is supposed to be the quality assurance system for science, weeding out the scientifically unreliable and reassuring readers of journals that they can trust what they are reading. In reality, however, it is ineffective, largely a lottery, anti-innovatory, slow, expensive, wasteful of scientific time, inefficient, easily abused, prone to bias, unable to detect fraud and irrelevant.
— Richard Smith, former editor of the BMJ

“There is something in the human spirit that will survive and prevail, there is a tiny and brilliant light burning in the heart of man that will not go out no matter how dark the world becomes.”
Leo Tolstoy

“What seems to be one of the disasters of our time is that we all appear to agree that the nation-state is the norm... Whether the state be Marxist or capitalist, it makes no difference. The dominant ideology is that of sovereignty.”
-Jacques Ellul

“The truth is that the State is a conspiracy designed not only to exploit, but above all to corrupt its citizens ... Henceforth, I shall never serve any government”
-Tolstoy

“The older I get, the more I meet people, the more convinced I am that we must only work on ourselves, to grow in grace. The only thing we can do about people is to love them.”
-Dorothy Day

“Capitalism is intrinsically atheistic. Capitalism is godless, not by nature of a philosophy which it does not profess, but in practice (which is its only philosophy), by its insatiable greed and avarice, its mighty power, its dominion.’ – The Roman Observer, 1950s

“We are ruining ourselves in order to be able to take part in senseless wars of the future or to pay interest on debts we have incurred by senseless and criminal wars of the past. We are dying of hunger so as to secure the means of killing each other.” - Frederic Passy