Quotes

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
“Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men’s views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.” - Woodrow Wilson *The New Freedom (1913)*

DesertRose

Superstar
Did I offer peace today?
Did I bring a smile to someone's face?
Did I say words of healing?
Did I let go of my anger and resentment?
Did I forgive? Did I love?
These are the real questions.
I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will bear many fruits, here in this world and the life to come.
Henri Nouwen

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
“There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power or our will. ”

“Other people's views and troubles can be contagious. Don't sabotage yourself by unwittingly adopting negative, unproductive attitudes through your associations with others.”

“Attach yourself to what is spiritually superior, regardless of what other people think or do. Hold to your true aspirations no matter what is going on around you.”
Epictetus

DesertRose

Superstar
Allah guards the justice loving government, even if it is the government of non-Muslims, and destroys the tyrant government, even if it is the government of Muslims.

What really counts are good endings, not flawed beginnings.

Some people have the disease of criticising all the time. They forget the good about others and only mention their faults. They are like flies that avoid the good and pure places and land on the bad and wounds. This is because of the evil within the self and the spoiled nature

Ibn Taymiyyah

As long as you are performing prayer, you are knocking at the door of Allah, and whoever is knocking at the door of Allah, Allah will open it for him.

Beware of every hour and how it passes, and only spend it in the best possible way, do not neglect yourself, but render it accustomed to the noblest and best of actions, and send to your grave that which will please you when you arrive to it.

As you can taste a pot full of food with a spoon likewise someone's tongue can tell you about his heart.

How strange! You lose a little from you and you cry. And your whole life is wasting and you're laughing

As long as one is following the right way, one should never be concerned about the reproaches of those who like to find faults.

Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
“They think that intelligence is about noticing things are relevant (detecting patterns); in a complex world, intelligence consists in ignoring things that are irrelevant (avoiding false patterns)”

“You may never know what type of person someone is unless they are given opportunities to violate moral or ethical codes.”

“Love without sacrifice is like theft”
Nassim Nicholas Taleb, The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms

Some quotes just make you laugh:
“If you want to annoy a poet, explain his poetry.”

“People focus on role models; it is more effective to find antimodels - people you don't want to resemble when you grow up”

“Suckers try to win arguments, nonsuckers try to win.”

“Remember that you are a Black Swan.” (DR: this would be a new username, if I could.)

“If you hear a "prominent" economist using the word 'equilibrium,' or 'normal distribution,' do not argue with him; just ignore him, or try to put a rat down his shirt.”

“The problem of knowledge is that there are many more books on birds written by ornithologists than books on birds written by birds and books on ornithologists written by birds”
Nassim Nicholas Taleb, The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

yiksmes

Established
There's a quote by Omar Khayyam, can't find the short poem in English so i do my best to translate from Russian:

Who ever was beat up by life, he will achieve more.
Who tasted pinch of salt, values honey more.
Who ever shedded tears, laughs more sincerely.
Who on the verge of dying, know,
that they still live.

I don't know how to make the ending rhyme:D but it rhymes in Russian.. - So rappers and poets of the forum, your input be very appreciated:)

DesertRose

Superstar
“Your results are dependent on your devotion.”
“Greatness comes by beginning something that doesn’t end with you.”
“Love is the secret weapon of the iconic entrepreneur. Work with love, lead with love, serve with love. Do these and you become undefeatable.” Robin Sharma