Push for homebirths among celebrities

morita

Veteran
Homebirths can go wrong really quick and can end up being traumatic. Not only that, but women are in high risk of dying from it.

I realize it's a personal decision but I noticed there is this push (no pun intended) amongst celebrities to promote "natural births at home". But let's be real, these kind of stories rarely end well, that's why I think it's reckless to promote such a trend...

“Home delivery is for pizza and Chinese food, not babies” - someone said that in the comments section.

Vixy

Star
Interesting since in my country women are daily denied access to the hospital for birth giving since our medical care is overloaded due to extreme migration. So they end up in their cars, on the street or as in some cases right outside the ER on the ground. Thats why many choose to do it at home. Often in the bathtub filled with water.

Cintra

Star
Home births. I didn't know it was getting to be a thing. But I had noticed a lot of celebs showing off baby bumps, like it was the new thing in fashion, or a good reason for a selfie.

I almost made a thread about it, but it ties in with this one nicely.

I think the whole idea of being the earth mother, and female empowerment are playing a part.
Women can have every thing, do everything, have everything, be everything.
It also seems to be an embracement of what it means to be female. To give birth like their mothers, grandmothers and all female ancestors before them.

But of course, in the old days one of the main killers of women was childbirth. There are so many ways it can go wrong.
As you say, it seems reckless to promote it as a fashion trend.

Cintra

Star
Agreed.

A celebrity home birth would be very different to an ordinary woman giving birth at home.

It seems to be one more 'aspirational' thing that celebrities do and that people will want to copy.
One more thing that women will be unfairly judged on.

Thunderian

Superstar
These days, home births are not a big deal. Generally, a midwife will be there, and it’s not like they can’t be rushed to the hospital if something does go wrong. Also, tests can show way ahead of time if there is anything to worry about. Case in point, my wife’s sister planned to have a home birth, but there were some issues with her baby’s heart rate, and a couple of other concerns, so she ended up going to the hospital instead. Fun fact: Her water broke in the passenger seat of my car, and I drove her to the hospital. The baby was fine. :)

Cintra

Star
Lol! I'm glad it turned out OK!

Like you say, proper medical support makes all the difference.

Thunderian

Superstar
Clearly you're not a woman and you never had to give birth lol.
They’re not as dangerous as they used to be, is obviously what I meant, for the reasons I said. With a good midwife in charge, there’s no reason why there should be any more danger than having the baby in a hospital. Probably a lot less chance of infection, too.

morita

Veteran
Doulas also seem to provide incredible support for the labouring women and their family. They're not as well-known as midwives and don't have the same role though.

Last edited:

DavidSon

Star
Sorry to offend but it's a strange thread to be posting AMA propaganda against the choice to home birth.

Home birthing is trendy among the wealthy- just like the popularity of vegetarian food, home-schooling, herbal medicines, yoga, eastern philosophy, anti-vaccines, etc- basically because they're catching up to the counter-culture movement of over 50 years ago.

How long have women been giving birth at home? A million years? I don't look down on women who choose to be hospitalized but I know of many who had the courage and intelligence to follow their instincts to give birth where they wanted, not where they were told.

mecca

Superstar
It's funny cause celebrities are the ones who can actually afford to go to a real hospital to give birth, at least in America. The cost of healthcare in America is insane and it can be over 10,000 dollars on average just to have a baby. Imagine going into debt because you gave birth.

morita

Veteran
Sorry to offend but it's a strange thread to be posting AMA propaganda against the choice to home birth.
propaganda where?? I'm saying it's not the safest option which is 100% true.

How long have women been giving birth at home? A million years?
And what do you think are the statistics of women dying from giving birth at home versus at a hospital where they can get proper care if anything goes wrong (which happens in many cases). For million years plenty of women died in labour.

Home birthing is trendy among the wealthy- just like the popularity of vegetarian food, home-schooling, herbal medicines, yoga, eastern philosophy, anti-vaccines
Except those aren't comparable, because home schooling, herbal medicines and yoga won't put your life at risk the same as homebirth does. Just saying.

I don't look down on women who choose to be hospitalized but I know of many who had the courage and intelligence to follow their instincts to give birth where they wanted, not where they were told.
I said it's a personal decision to make, I'm not criticising homebirth in and of itself, just saying the celebrities who promote this trend are putting unreasonable standards on women.
It's flabbergasting to me that men in this thread are trying to downplay the risks of giving birth at home....... easy to say when you're not the person who's putting your life on the line.

Thunderian

Superstar
It's flabbergasting to me that men in this thread are trying to downplay the risks of giving birth at home....... easy to say when you're not the person who's putting your life on the line.
I’m going by information given me by women. You’re welcome to have your babies where you want, but understand there are women who don’t want to have them in a hospital.

DavidSon

Star
propaganda where?? I'm saying it's not the safest option which is 100% true.
I meant propaganda by these quotes:

"Homebirths can go wrong really quick and can end up being traumatic."

"But let's be real, these kind of stories rarely end well, that's why I think it's reckless to promote such a trend."

“Home delivery is for pizza and Chinese food, not babies”

These are negatively charged statements. I'd look at the data before saying, "they rarely end well." From what I know (my friend's wife is a Doula and I know multiple families who home birthed), because of their hyper consciousness and concern over all aspects of their pregnancy, the women who choose such have wonderful outcomes.

I've never heard of a guy demanding they have a baby at home. But it should be noted the child is also half his, and these are decisions that are made as a family. If the man did want that but his wife didn't... well it ain't happening, nor should it. In the end it's the woman's choice as we all know.

... the celebrities who promote this trend are putting unreasonable standards on women.
I can see what you're saying here. IMO "unreasonable" is the wrong word but in general yes there has to be emphasis on all the risks and factors. A home birth is not a decision to be taken on a whim. In some cases I've heard of women having their 2nd child at home because they were more confident after their first experience under hospital supervision.

Hopefully this thread will continue to stir education about the subject. Peace.

Thunderian

Superstar
After meeting the midwives my wife chose for our second child’s birth — which was in a hospital — I would have been comfortable with her giving birth almost anywhere. It’s not the same as 500 years ago when a woman would just drop a baby on a dirty blanket, then both mother and child would die of infection. Modern techniques and disinfecting practices work just as well in a clean, modern bedroom as they do in a clean, modern hospital, and serious medical help is just an ambulance ride away.

mecca

Superstar
I said it's a personal decision to make, I'm not criticising homebirth in and of itself, just saying the celebrities who promote this trend are putting unreasonable standards on women.
You're correct that giving birth in a hospital is safer, but there are still certain pros to home births that might make some women want to do it at home rather than in a hospital. It allows you to be in a comfortable relaxed setting, offers more control over your body and the whole situation, there's no pressure to undergo unnecessary medical interventions etc. And despite hospitals being safer, home births are still safe, most home births go well and the baby comes out fine. So ultimately yeah, it is a personal decision but it shouldn't be taken lightly either.

Celebrities are allowed to make that choice as well... I don't see how some women deciding to have a home birth is a big deal just because they happen to be famous women. Tbh, why would anyone decide where they want to give birth based upon what a celebrity did? Celebrities aren't doctors and their opinions shouldn't be held in a higher regard than any other non-doctor.
Also sometimes you don't even get a choice.... you could have an unplanned home birth where the baby just came out too fast before you even had a chance to get to the hospital.

Cintra

Star
Someone I knew gave birth at home unexpectedly.

Baby came out, placenta didn't. She started to bleed out. It was a big mess that involved a rush to hospital and an emergency operation at midnight.

Not enough blood because most of it was in the freezer.
Having to get the drs and surgeon and everyone out, the whole 9 yards.

If they hadn't been got to hospital they would have bled to death on the floor.

DesertRose

Superstar
They only recommend home births for low risk ladies.
In hospitals there are other sets of health risks such as acquiring hospital infections and unnecessary invasive procedures.
Many hospitals allow for midwives to have a room so that if things go wrong they are on hand for any problems.
I think that is allows for a re-dress for many concerns.

Last edited:

Thunderian

Superstar
My wife nearly had our second in the parking lot outside the hospital because she insisted she could walk. I learned not to believe anything she says when she’s in labour.