Professor Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76

elsbet

Superstar
And on Einstein's birthday...
Natch.

It is also the Roman Holiday, Equirria... the second one of the year.. to honor the god, Mars. Strange since both are in Pisces season (Neptune or Poseidon). Mars' season is not for another week or so. Maybe that was under the Julian calendar?

Or Roman...

'January and March honor the gods Janus and Mars'

MARCH 14TH PAGAN CALENDAR

Helioform

Star
This won't be a popular opinion from me but then again what's new? I used to be big on Hawking, read and enjoyed "Universe in a Nutshell", thought he was the don - and I mean somebody if I met in real life I would've been in awe - but now I think he's over-rated and just part of the whole satanic machine that created science to discredit religion (not that he necessarily wittingly knew this). I used to be a fan of the attached picture before I realised that science works exactly the same as religion in this flowchart. To illustrate my point, I present you this quote from Nobel prize winner George Wald:

"There are only two possible explanations as to how life arose: Spontaneous generation arising to evolution or a supernatural creative act of God.... There is no other possibility. Spontaneous generation was scientifically disproved 120 years ago by Louis Pasteur and others, but that just leaves us with only one other possibility... that life came as a supernatural act of creation by God, but I can't accept that philosophy because I do not want to believe in God. Therefore I choose to believe in that which I know is scientifically impossible, spontaneous generation leading to evolution."

Likewise, didn't Hawking refuse to discuss anything pre-big bang, dismissing it as irrelevant? Doesn't seem very scientific to me.

But, all that aside, he seemed like a pretty decent chap with a sense of humour who wasn't above appearing on things like Victor Lewis-Smith's TV shows and The Big Bang Theory.
I always thought that he wasn't an atheist due mainly to his "knowing the mind of God" quote. But apparently he has stated that he thought that the brain was only a computer and that there was nothing after death. That disappointed me greatly. But at least he didn't spend a huge proportion of his life trying to discredit religion like other atheists such as Dawkins who never missed a chance to insult religious people in general. He merely did his job and stuck to physics while dealing with such a debilitating disease, which is very commendable.

bbsion

Established
I don't hate Stephen or anything. But I do not hold him as a hero and I do no respect him. This is due to his anti-God rhetoric. At least now he knows there is a God. I've heard several arguments elsewhere regarding his contributions to science demanding respect and so forth.. so I do not care to address that here. I just thought I would put in my two cents.

bbsion

Established
Yeah, I had a similar motive to say what I did on this thread. Such a massive circle-jerk about him all over the internet, I just thought it was a bit much...
Not going to lie... I had to google what a circle-jerk was. Kinda regretting that now!

Tikawanda

Established
Yeah, I had a similar motive to say what I did on this thread. Such a massive circle-jerk about him all over the internet, I just thought it was a bit much...
I mean, he had a severe disability and yet he was still a literal genius who accomplished more in his lifetime than billions of able-bodied people have in the same amount of time. Someone who is that unique is bound to receive recognition. The only thing that bugs me are the edgy memes that have sprouted as a result of his death, but that happens whenever someone iconic dies.

elsbet

Superstar
I mean, he had a severe disability and yet he was still a literal genius who accomplished more in his lifetime than billions of able-bodied people have in the same amount of time. Someone who is that unique is bound to receive recognition. The only thing that bugs me are the edgy memes that have sprouted as a result of his death, but that happens whenever someone iconic dies.
Well... he also had A LOT of help, and time and money and care invested into his success by others. That's not a bad thing. He took the ball and ran with it, for sure. But if his views and beliefs had been different, I wonder if those same people would have been as willing to help. *

*Does not justify tacky, disrespectful memes.

yiksmes

Established
Never heard anybody say something bad about him, or calling him jerk or anything...
Until... He joined the boycott for Israel

After that moment, i seen people only talking bad about him, then i didn't hear of him for long time, and now this that he passed away.

Helioform

Star
Yeah as far as memes go, I found this one particularly offensive.

And as for the "circle jerk" comment, I've seen a lot of people actually disrespecting the man by saying that he "was going to hell"...particularly from a bunch of self-righteous hypocritical "Christians."

No, he hasn't gone to hell, his soul is merely awaiting to reincarnate.

bbsion

Established
Yeah as far as memes go, I found this one particularly offensive.

And as for the "circle jerk" comment, I've seen a lot of people actually disrespecting the man by saying that he "was going to hell"...particularly from a bunch of self-righteous hypocritical "Christians."

No, he hasn't gone to hell, his soul is merely awaiting to reincarnate.
Just so you can hear something different from another Christian. I do not believe he is going to hell. I believe there is more than just Heaven and Hell in the after life. He will have to suffer and pay for his sins that he did not repent of like all of us. Some will suffer more than others depending on the severity of the sins. That is up to God. Even though I do not respect him, that does not mean I have to be crude. He is in God's hands now. May God have mercy on him while also being just.

Also, he's no longer in a wheelchair. And I do not believe in reincarnation to the degree of him coming back as an animal, some other human, or something to that effect. You are a unique "self" that is a spirit (similar looking to your body) and an intelligence that transcends physical bodies.