Private military contractors/Mercenaries

Aero

Superstar
It depends. I think that people need bodyguards. Like the threat is real. So if private contractors were used for search and rescue, or counter terrorism. Than that would be justified in my mind.

Of course they aren't used for that. They probably are mainly just hired thugs. And I'm pretty sure it's against the U.S Constitution for the Military to engage civilians. The whole thing is like a loophole the size of China. They are "ex" Military so that makes it Ok! Yay America

Vytas

Star
If there were an actual, legitimate threat-- not just a ploy for oil, dominance, or whatever-- I think this is a better option than drafting *kids* to go get killed.
In my country serving in army is voluntary, perhaps even better option. Still though they don't play fair, amount of media attention army gets with romanticism and heroism aura is insane. Volunteering is kind of illusion, because if you are young and at least a little bit idealistic, you will probably swallow the bait. You later will find out army have nothing to do with how it presented by media. Been there done that...And in case of actual war everyone goes...But US is different kind of animal they constantly at war, and they have huge never ending source of "human resources" . If you had US in mind i agree with you 100%. Perhaps then there would be less of those professionals who joins isis and the like...

elsbet

Superstar
In my country serving in army is voluntary, perhaps even better option. Still though they don't play fair, amount of media attention army gets with romanticism and heroism aura is insane. Volunteering is kind of illusion, because if you are young and at least a little bit idealistic, you will probably swallow the bait. You later will find out army have nothing to do with how it presented by media. Been there done that...And in case of actual war everyone goes...But US is different kind of animal they constantly at war, and they have huge never ending source of "human resources" . If you had US in mind i agree with you 100%. Perhaps then there would be less of those professionals who joins isis and the like...
I did have the US in mind. We are also voluntary, but there have been drafts in the recent past-- namely Viet Nam. Horrible stuff, all around. :/

Karlysymon

Superstar
Stephan Crétier, head of the 'Walmart of security'

Q:You bought Garda in 1999 and 9/11 happened two years later. Your entry into the business couldn’t have been better timed, it seems.

A: I said, in an article six months before 9/11, that if I had a department that could put trouble in the world, I’d be a millionaire. Unfortunately, 9/11 has been good to us, not necessarily in adding more business, but it forced the
industry to become more
professionalized in North
America.
http://www.macleans.ca/general/on-becoming-the-wal-mart-of-security-and-what-exactly-garda-is-doing-in-the-middle-east/

How much do we know about Blackwater founder
Erik Prince — and his secretive role in shaping
Trump’s foreign policy?