Princess Leia (carrie Fisher) Had Quite The Buzz On

The Zone

Star
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-carrie-fisher-autopsy-report-20170619-story.html

A Los Angeles County coroner’s report released on Monday revealed a mixture of drugs that were in actress Carrie Fisher’s system when she went into cardiac arrest on an L.A.-bound flight and later died.

Fisher’s toxicology review found evidence of cocaine, methadone, MDMA (better known as ecstasy), alcohol and opiates when she was rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Hospital on Dec. 23, a toxicology report showed.

The test results “suggests there was an exposure to heroin, but that the dose and time of exposure cannot be pinpointed.” Therefore we cannot establish the significance of heroin regarding the cause of death in this case.”

The tests revealed that the cocaine would have been consumed within the previous 72 hours.

Four days later on Dec. 27, Fisher went into cardiac arrest. After 90 minutes of attempting to revive her, officials declared the “Star Wars” actress dead just before 9 a.m.

Her cause of death was listed as sleep apnea with other factors.

In addition to the listed cause of death, the coroner’s statement cited “other conditions: atherosclerotic heart disease, drug use.”

It also said: “How Injury Occurred: Multiple drug intake, significance not ascertained.”

Billie Lourd, issued a statement to People magazine Friday night linking her mother’s death to drug use.

“My mom battled drug addiction and mental illness her entire life. She ultimately died of it. She was purposefully open in all of her work about the social stigmas surrounding these diseases,” Lourd told People.

Fisher’s brother, Todd Fisher, responded to the official cause of death on Friday.

His sister’s battle with drugs and bipolar disorder “slowly but surely put her health in jeopardy over many, many years,” he said. “I honestly hoped we would grow old together, but after her death, nobody was shocked.”

Drug use can exacerbate sleep apnea with potentially fatal results, but the report does not make clear whether Fisher took any drugs on the day in December when she suffered a cardiac incident on the international flight/

The daughter of Hollywood couple Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, Carrie Fisher was essentially born into show business.

She made her film debut in 1975, starring in the comedy “Shampoo” with Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn. But she etched herself permanently into the consciousness of the movie-going public as Princess Leia in the 1977 sci-fi classic “Star Wars.”

While she never quite escaped that role, which made her a sex symbol to a generation of geeky adolescents, she gained a degree of literary respect a decade later with the publication of “Postcards From the Edge,” a novel about an actress battling drug addiction.

A series of nonfiction books, including “Wishful Drinking” and “The Princess Diarist,” cemented her reputation as a serious author.

In her books and at public speaking events, Fisher was open about her struggles in the movie business and her prickly relationship with her mother. She was also outspoken about her mental health issues and the drastic solution she found: electric shock therapy.

Reynolds had a stroke after her daughter’s death and died Dec. 28.

http://www.tribpub.com/privacy-policy-and-your-privacy-rights/

Aero

Superstar
I had been meaning to read about this. Didn't they put her ashes in a big prozac pill urn? I think that's super morbid. I mean it doesn't send the message they might be hoping for. And I get that people deal with death in their own way, but it's more disturbing to me now.

To me it seems like they are saluting the drugs that killed her. But I might be wrong.

Kung Fu

Superstar
I'm starting to think they have the right idea.
People will play the card that "everything should be in moderation" but when it comes to alcohol and drugs that rule simply does not work. Sure there is benefit in these things but the negatives far outweigh the good in them.

Aero

Superstar
I think that moderation would be a good strategy, if that matched up with the marketing and production of these chemicals. They aren't produced in moderation, and they definitely aren't marketed for moderate consumption. You can't just have one drink, or snort one line. You have to do at least 10 because that's how the game is rigged. If one shot of booze had us all sitting pretty, nobody would make money.

Take away the mass production and marketing and how bad would any of these drugs honestly be upon society? Think about it. Because I'm pretty sure hardly anyone would do these things.

SunnyK

Rookie
I find it interesting that she found electro shock therapy to be her holy grail. My mother is manic depressive and tried to kill herself years ago. She was always battling drug addiction and abusive relationships. They gave my mother electro shock therapy in rehab after her suicide stint. She never comments on it, I never ask, it must be a painful memory. But she doesn't need medication, she's fully recovered, and has been completely sober for 7 years. I don't know if it was the therapy or not, but it made me think of this when I read that.

Aero

Superstar
I can't even imagine being addicted to all those drugs. But the electroshock thing makes sense. It seems like most rehab programs are simply trying to substitute one addiction for another less harmful one. And that seems like the wrong direction.

Maybe we should try to take the stigma off some of these more controversial treatments. Like is it more embarrassing to of had your brain zapped than to be a heroin addict? That actually might be true.

Kung Fu

Superstar
I think that moderation would be a good strategy, if that matched up with the marketing and production of these chemicals. They aren't produced in moderation, and they definitely aren't marketed for moderate consumption. You can't just have one drink, or snort one line. You have to do at least 10 because that's how the game is rigged. If one shot of booze had us all sitting pretty, nobody would make money.

Take away the mass production and marketing and how bad would any of these drugs honestly be upon society? Think about it. Because I'm pretty sure hardly anyone would do these things.
I believe that when you're dealing with things of addicting nature that you should completely abstain from it especially if they can completely ruin your life. In this case alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs being of that nature. No matter the production if someone wants to get a hit and or drink their life away they will find a way to get it. Every alcoholic probably during their lifetime thought they would never become an alcoholic.

I would say even if you could control it in moderation why would you consume these poisons because that's exactly what they are.

Aero

Superstar
I agree with you Kung Fu. The best plan is to avoid chemicals that alter your bodies chemistry in such a way. But the pragmatist in me sees the production as doing the most damage. Or at least, it's damage we have a better chance of mending. If we chose to anyway. But we don't seem to make that decision as a society. The decision is made for us, by free market capitalism.

The hypocrisy of this story also irks me a little bit. Like we were told she had a heart attack I think, so everyone felt really bad. There was a huge outpouring of support. Well now it turns out she was just a huge drug addict, and as a culture we are told not to show support. How is anyone supposed to keep their heads on straight anymore? Nobody is really what they appear to be.

The Zone

Star
Probably a hypocritical cunt like most people.
:rolleyes:

Anyhow, Fisher got the Hollywood treatment in her eulogy. And I don't think "most" people are hypo c's. The cocktail she mixed was more than a little deadly and seems like a suicide attempt of sorts or at least flirting with disaster.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
They can't tell you if she used anything on that specific day because drug tests don't work like that. They can only detect the presence of the chemical and the quantity but not time or date or how ingested. Most of those things have short half lives - 72 hours and they aren't detectable except in hair follicles. So safe to say she used within the last three days. That doesn't make her death any less sad or any less worthy of mourning or whatever. People are people and have personal failings and that is life.

Bipolar is one hell of a disease and a large amount of bipolar people turn to drugs because the "medications" offer little if any relief with often horrible side effects. Drugs give them the only release from their tortured brain they get. It's sad, it sucks, if anything it deserves even more pity and compassion.