Pre-Advent/Investigative Judgment.

phipps

Star
Pre Advent or investigative Judgement is biblical and a blessing.

The pre-Advent judgment is a biblical doctrine that states that the judgment of God’s people takes place before the Second Coming, rather than after it. Indeed, it is already going on, and individual cases are examined as time goes by.

It is one of the least understood and appreciated doctrines by most Christians. Two criticisms are often labelled against it: a) it has little or no Biblical basis, and b) it detracts from the assurance of salvation.

The second criticism can be especially damning. If my salvation depends on the decision a heavenly court might come up with at any given moment, then I can have no assurance of salvation until the court proceedings are over. Or so the argument goes.

What if your name comes up in the judgment even as you are involved in some activity that is not totally acceptable?

To be frank, judgment is judgment. Whether it has already began, or whether it will commence after the Second Coming, as other Christians believe, the fact remains that we will be held accountable for the life we have lived. So I don’t see how a judgment now is more fearsome or detracts from the assurance of salvation more than a judgment in the future.

Be that as it may, Daniel 7 counters both criticisms in a most dynamic way. First, it gives the pre-Advent judgment a solid biblical foundation. Second it presents it as good, indeed excellent news!

phipps

Star
The Certainty of the Pre-Advent or Investigative Judgment in the Bible.

Daniel 7 describes four beasts coming out of the sea. They parallel the four metals of Daniel 2 and represent four kingdoms—Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome—which reigned in sequence for more than 1,000 years.

Following the four beasts/kingdoms, ten horns rule and then an eleventh little horn appears. The horns parallel the feet of iron and clay in Daniel 2. These divided kingdoms rule from the collapse of the fourth kingdom until the end of human history. At which point, both visions, Daniel 2 and 7, end with the establishment of God’s kingdom.

Even as the little horn is active on earth (7:8), i.e., well within historic time, Daniel’s eyes are directed to heaven where he sees a heavenly judgment scene (7:9), in which the following are involved:

• God the Father, the Ancient of Days (7:9);

• Jesus, the Son of Man (7:13);

• the myriads of angels standing before God’s throne (7:10);

• God’s people on earth here called “saints of the Most High” who are not physically present but are judged and vindicated (7:18).

That this is a judgment scene is verified by the phrase, “the court sat in judgment, and the books were opened” (7:10). The books in question contain the records of life and are directly connected to judgment (cf. Revelation 20:12).

That this judgment takes place before the Second Coming, i.e., in the final days of earth’s history, is confirmed by the fact that at its conclusion the dominion is taken away from the little horn and the kingdom is given to the saints.

Here then we have clear, biblical support for the pre-advent/investigative judgment.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Good News

The pre-Advent judgment is biblical. But is it good news? Absolutely!

First,
the vision portrays one violent kingdom following another before the little horn wreaks havoc on God’s people. God’s answer is the heavenly judgment. Its order, majesty, and fairness mark the complete opposite of the chaos and oppression of human history.

Second, God’s people in Daniel 7 are repeatedly referred to as the “saints of the Most High” (7:18, 22, 27). This is not a name given to people who are about to be condemned by God. It is clearly a name of endearment. We belong to God. With Him on our side we have nothing to fear from the judgment.

Third, judgment is given “in favor of the saints” (7:22). Indeed, it seems almost as if the judgment takes place in order to rescue God’s people from the depredations of the little horn.

Fourth, the judgment results in the kingdom being given first to the Son of Man (7:14), then to the saints (7:27), with Him. Since He inherits the kingdom, we inherit with him.

Fifth, throughout the Bible, for God’s people, the judgment is good news, because in the judgment Jesus our defender acquits every believer from the accusations of the enemy (e.g., Psalm 7:8; 50:4-6; 67:4; 72:2; 82:8; 96:10,13; 119:84; Proverbs 31:9; Ecclesiastes 3:17; Isaiah 3:13-15; 11:3-4).

Sixth, every person will come into judgment. If we accept the pre-Advent judgment, then it follows that believers are judged and acquitted in absentia.

By contrast, most Christians believe we will all stand in judgment before God, in person, after the Second Coming.

How would you rather be evaluated and judged before God and the watching universe—in absentia, or in person? I think for most the answer would be obvious—in absentia. We will stand before God, but only to receive the kingdom! So how can anyone say that the pre-Advent judgment is bad news?

Synthesis

The pre-Advent judgment is a biblical reality. It is also exceedingly good news. Heavenly beings have been watching events on earth. They know we are sinners. And sin is the worst thing that has ever happened.

As the day of the Second Coming appears and Jesus is about to return to earth to bring the saved back with Him to heaven, some trepidation among the heavenly beings would be expected. Will these forgiven sinners infect the heavenly realms with the poison of sin?

The pre-Advent heavenly judgment is God’s means to acquit His people not so much before Himself, since He forgave them the moment they believed, but before the watching universe. The books of heaven contain not only the record of our sins, but also of our repentance, new birth, and sanctification.

As Jesus our advocate presents our case favorably, the watching universe can do nothing but declare us forgiven and fit to enter the heavenly realms.

The pre-Advent heavenly judgment is the event that ensures that when we enter heaven, we will be warmly welcomed by all heavenly beings. As such it is very good news!

Last edited:

A Freeman

Superstar
I believe the ten commandment has already been superseded

Mark 12:30-31 New King James Version (NKJV)
30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ [a]This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Galatians 5:14 New King James Version (NKJV)
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Even the sabbath is not a requirement anymore.
Matthew 5:17-20
5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy The Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill (to fully preach The Law (The Torah) and fulfill the prophecies about the first coming of the Messiah).
5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no way pass from The Law, till all be fulfilled.
5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least COMMANDments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in The Kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in The Kingdom of heaven.
5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall EXCEED [the righteousness] of the lawyers and politicians, ye shall in no case enter into The Kingdom of heaven.

Mark 12:29-31
12:29 And Jesus answered him, The First of all the Commandments [is], Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is ONE Lord:
12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength and serve Him ONLY: this [is] the first COMMANDment.
12:31 And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other COMMANDment greater than these.

iF someone is truly keeping the two Great Commandments, they cannot break any of the other Commandments, Statutes and Judgments found in The Law. And, as Jesus plainly stated, The Law will NEVER change nor pass away.

If properly understood, nothing written in any of the letters of Paul contradicts what Jesus said.

The Law is the final arbiter that Christ will use to judge the works of everyone. And no, the Sabbath day that Father established never went away either.

Exodus 31:13-17
31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily My Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a "Sign" between Me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the "I AM" that doth sanctify you.
31:14 Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it [is] holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth [any] work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh [is] the Sabbath of rest, holy to the "I AM": whosoever doeth [any] work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, [for] a perpetual Covenant.
31:17 It [is] a "Sign" between Me and the children of Israel for ever: for [in] six days the "I AM" made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.

Last edited:

A Freeman

Superstar
If the Scripture is properly understood, we've all been here for 6000 years, except for the notable exceptions of Enoch (who was "translated" to Judgment Day) and Elijah (Christ in a previous incarnation - John 3:13).

Already, before Christ came in the body of Jesus 2000 years ago, those who would most likely be among the Elect was already known, from 4000 years of records of our behavior throughout numerous human lifetimes. That is how the prophecy that 144,000 would be redeemed from the Earth could be made.

However, final judgment has been reserved for the final day, in the hope of finding any redeeming quality among us.

ALL of those among the 144,000 will need to read, study and digest the little book entitled The Way home or face The Fire. The title is self-explanatory.

phipps

Star
The Books of Heaven

In order that the investigation of the judgment may be unquestioned and complete, the lives of all men are written in the books of heaven. From the records found in these books will the future of all who have lived on this earth be decided.

Concerning the books of record and the throngs that take part in this great assize, we read, “A thousand thousands ministered to Him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him. The court was seated, and the books were opened” (Daniel 7:10).

phipps

Star
The Book of Life

In the foregoing text reference is made to “the book of life.” This to the Christian is the most important volume in all the universe of God. It is the roster of all the faithful of all the ages. In it are written the names of all who have undertaken the service of God. No other names are entered upon its pages.

Day by day the guardian angel bears to heaven the record of those whose names are written in the book. Their sins are recorded upon the debit side. As sins are confessed and wrongs made right, “pardon” is written opposite the transgression.

And so, the life record grows. Happy is the mortal whose debits of sin are balanced by the “pardons” of forgiveness. Awful is the fate of him who starts in the service of God, but falters in his course. For him the record of the “book of life” will not be clear. The debit side will not be balanced by the “pardons” of the credit side. The names of such will be blotted out of the book of life in God’s great judgment day.

Although our names may be once written in the book of life, they may, in the day of judgment, be stricken from its pages. Of the one who does not continue in well doing, John writes, “God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book” (Revelation 22:19).

Only those whose names are retained in the book of life can enter the gates of the New Jerusalem. “But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life (Revelation 21:27).

The names of all the overcomers will be retained in this wonderful book. “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels” (Revelation 3:5).

phipps

Star
One of the most common questions asked about the Pre-advent/investigative judgement is:

"Why Does God "Need" to Investigate?"

Many critics say that God has no need to judge because He already knows who the saved are. This is true. God is all knowing and He does not need judgement at all to know who is saved and who isn't. Lets give the example of the judgment in Revelation 20? Why this judgement?

This judgment is the judgment of the wicked which is also known as "The Great White Throne Judgment." Why would God have to judge the wicked if he already knows who the wicked are? John also says that the wicked or dead “were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books” (verse 12). Why would God judge the wicked out of the books when he already knows who is lost? Does he need to refresh his memory by reading a book? Not only that but John goes as far as to say that “anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire” (verse 15). Did God need to look at a book to make sure he was throwing the right people into the lake of fire? Obviously not. The judgment was not for Gods benefit but for the saved to look through the books and see Gods justice against the wicked for themselves.

Likewise, the Investigative Judgment is for the benefit of angels to see Gods justice on behalf of the saints. All judgements are not for God's benefit because He knows He is just and right.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Another question that is asked about the Pre-advent/investigative judgement is:

"If Jesus finished the work of atonement at the cross what is the point of him doing something in heaven for us now?"

Well, because His Word, the Bible tells us that Christ needs to do something else in heaven. So we need to understand why after His sacrifice on the cross for us.

Its important we understand that biblically, the sacrificial atonement was provided for in full on the cross of Calvary. Nothing needs to be added to it. It was perfect.

However according to the Bible too, the atonement taking place in heaven is simply Christ applying the benefits of the cross to our individual lives. He is not adding to it. It is perfect and complete and when we come to Him, we can rest assured that everything needed for our salvation is found, not in ourselves, but in Christ.

Here is what the Bible says about Jesus being the High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary.

Before I post scripture a brief explanation about Jesus being High Priest.

Jesus could only be our High Priest after He died on the cross for our sins. Why? Because then He could offer His blood. So says the Bible.

"Before Christ could serve as priest, it was necessary that He should have an offering to present to God. Said the apostle: “For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices. Therefore it is necessary that this One also have something to offer” (Hebrews 8:3). Christ shed His blood that He might have something to offer. The earthly priests offered the blood of animals, but He came not to offer the blood of bulls and goats and lambs, but to offer His own blood; therefore His priestly service could not begin until after His blood had been shed." (This is taken from my thread on the heavenly temple/sanctuary).

Hebrews 9:11-12, "But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation. Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption."

Here is what the Bible says on Jesus being our mediator/advocate.

Hebrews 8:6, "But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises."

Hebrews 12:24, “...to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.”

1 Timothy 2:5-6, "For there is one God, and
one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time."

1 John 2:1, "My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

Jesus entered into the courts of heaven with the blood of His own sacrifice and is listening to our prayers of confession and sorrow for our sins. He pleads His very own blood on our behalf, because we have acknowledged our guilt and have accepted His substitution for us. When Satan will one day stand in accusation against God’s people, we will truly understand the importance of Jesus as our Advocate. He not only speaks for us but He is also our friend (see John 15:13).

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Jesus serves His people in two major capacities in His heavenly sanctuary ministry.

The Bible tells us:

1 Corinthians 5:7, “Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.”

Hebrews 4:14-16, “Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

Jesus serves as the Sacrifice for our sins and as our heavenly High Priest. Jesus’ death as our sacrificial Lamb and Substitute, and His continual powerful ministry as our heavenly Priest, accomplish two incredible miracles for us:

A. A complete life change called the new birth, with all the sins of the past forgiven (John 3:3-6; Romans 3:25).

B. Power to live right in the present and future (Titus 2:14; Philippians 2:13).

These two miracles make a person righteous—which means a right relationship exists between the person and God. There is no possible way for a person to become righteous by works (his own efforts) because righteousness requires miracles that only Jesus can accomplish (Acts 4:12). A person becomes righteous by trusting the Saviour to do for him what he cannot do for himself. This is what is meant by the biblical term "righteousness by faith." We ask Jesus to become the ruler of our lives and trust Him to work the needed miracles as we cooperate fully with Him. This righteousness, which is miraculously accomplished for us and in us by Christ, is the only true righteousness that exists. Every other kind is a counterfeit.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
This is another of the most common questions asked about the Pre-advent/investigative judgement:

"Does the Investigative Judgment destroy the assurance of salvation?"

The short answer is no. The Investigative Judgment in no way contradicts righteousness by faith, salvation through grace, or assurance of salvation. Our standing in the judgment is not based on our works but Christ’s perfect work.

The gospel was preached to ancient Israel through the sanctuary service, a representation of the entire plan of salvation. The sanctuary, in shadows, revealed atonement, mediation, confession, cleansing, the law, the judgment, justification, everything!

The first lesson taught was the sacrifice of the animal, symbolic of Christ's death. The entire sanctuary service, thus the whole plan of salvation, rests upon the substitutionary sacrifice of Jesus (1 Peter 1:19; Revelation 13:8; Isaiah 53).

Imagine a school that gave two grades only, pass or fail. In order to pass, the student must have a 100 percent average. A 95 percent earns the same failing grade as 20 percent. The student must have a perfect score on every exam; otherwise, he fails. If he makes one mistake, ever answers one question wrong, he comes up short. If on one test he gets 95 percent, but on 10 others 100 percent, he fails because his grade would still average below 100 percent, enough to flunk him with those who average 30 percent. Either way, 99.7 percent or 30 percent, he fails.

The same with redemption. All have sinned, and therefore none ever achieve the perfect 100 percent needed for salvation (Romans 3:23). Even if we were to become perfect, never sinning again, because of past sin we could not produce the righteousness needed for salvation. No matter how hard we try, how sanctified we ever become, unless we have a 100 percent score credited to us, outside of us, we are lost.

Jesus, because of His perfect sinless life and His death on our behalf, offers us His passing 100 percent grade (Romans 5:17-19). His righteousness, which He wrought out for us, independent of us, He freely offers us in place of our own failing grades. No matter who we are, or what we've done, because of what Jesus accomplished for us on the cross we can stand as accepted in the Father as He was, because He freely will credit to us, as undeserving as we are, Christ's 100 per cent grade (Romans 5:8).

The Pre-advent/investigative judgement began in the second apartment of the heavenly sanctuary aka the most holy room or the holy of hollies. In the earthly sanctuary the high priest entered this room once a year, on the day of atonement aka judgement day. He cleansed the sanctuary of all Israel's repented sin. The most holy room symbolizes Christ's work in the judgment in our behalf as well because He is our High Priest.

The Second apartment ministry i.e., the death of the sacrificial animal, the investigative judgment, enhances the gospel. How? Because when our name comes up in judgment (Romans14:10; Daniel 12:1; Revelation 21:27; Matthew 10:32-33; Luke 12:8-9), Christ's perfect righteousness, His 100 percent covers us! That's the most important purpose of His death.

In the earthly sanctuary, every morning and evening the priest offered a special sacrifice, a burnt offering that symbolized the continual avail ability of Christ's righteousness. Called the daily or the regular "continual burnt offering" (Exodus 29:42), this sacrifice assured the penitent Israelite of the constant accessibility of forgiveness. If he was sick, away from Jerusalem, or for some reason couldn't get to the sanctuary, he could still reach out by faith to the promise symbolized by these sacrifices, which burned on the altar 24 hours a day, every day even on the Day of Atonement.

This point is crucial. During the solemn ceremony of the day of atonement or Yom Kippur, this morning and evening sacrifice burned on the altar (Numbers 29:7-11). In type, Christ's merits, symbolized by the slain animal, covered the sinner all through the typical Day of Atonement; in the antitype, Christ's merits cover His followers throughout the real day of atonement, the day of judgment, which is now. Thus, instead of nullifying the good news, the investigative judgment, when balanced with the cross, lifts the gospel to its apogee!

This biblical doctrine needs to be studied and understood by all Christians. Of all the biblical teachings, this one upholds the finished work of Jesus at the cross like none other. We therefore understand and love Christ more.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
This investigative judgement is depicted in the parable of the wedding banquet (Matthew 22:1-14).

The wedding guests represent professing believers, the King’s inspection of guests represents the Investigative Judgment of the guests, and the wedding garments represent the robe of Christ’s righteousness that His followers wear to be “judged” as sincere believers.

Apart from deciding who will be saved and who won’t, the judgment also serves to vindicate God’s justice in saving those who believe in Jesus.

It may seem strange to think of an all-powerful God, the Creator of all things, to be looking at physical books or sitting in a courtroom. But the Bible authors knew that this would be an acceptable and relatable analogy to understand God’s processes of judgment, salvation, atonement, redemption, etc.

God knew that these roles and ideals are how we typically understand law, morality, and justice. So whether there’s an actual book or not, what we can have faith in is that Jesus knows everything. Everything is recorded and taken into account—He won’t “miss” anything. This is how we’re shown that He is fair and loving, just and merciful—and that He has everything under control. All will be made right.

And that’s why the Investigative Judgment plays an important part in prophecy about the End Times and humanity’s salvation. It shows us that our eternal destiny isn’t arbitrarily decided. God looks at who we really are and what we really, truly want. Those that experience the second death (eternal death) will be those that chose against living with Jesus for eternity (Revelation 2:11; 20:6; 22:11).

And it’s the same outcome of the Investigative Judgment that will be confirmed by God’s people during the Millennium at the millennial judgment, and also at the final executive judgment that will bring an end to all sin (Revelation 20:4,11-15).

elsbet's cat ^. .^

Established
.​
The judgment was not for Gods benefit
but for the saved to look through the books
and see Gods justice against the wicked
for themselves.

I'm not familiar with this information.
I don't see a (biblical) citation for it, either-- but it seems unnecessary. We will be eyewitnesses to His justice against the wicked.

Though a thousand may fall at your side...
no harm will come near you.
You will only see it with your eyes and
witness the punishment of the wicked.

Casting the wicked into the lake of fire ought to be sufficient, imo-- but there is additional confirmation throughout both testaments.
As for the Lake of Fire --
Through no virtue of our own, we are not condemned. And yet... Ellen White wants us to believe we will have the desire, the arrogance and a legitimate platform (only fools would dare to stand, imo), to check the books of the Almighty -- this is unfathomable.
We... who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready (prepared) to be revealed in the last time. 1 Peter 1:5
The belief we are entitled to examine the merit of God's judgment is foreign to the bible. There will be no question concerning His judgment.

For it is written, “As I live, says the Lord,
every knee shall bow to me, and every
tongue shall confess* to God.” Rom. 14:11
Likewise... at the name of Jesus
every knee should bow, in heaven and on
earth and under the earth-- Philippians 2:10
confess: consent fully, agree out and out; I confess,
admit, acknowledge without reservation; I give thanks
praise; see also, Isaiah 45:23
But it was established in the Old Testament.

The book of Job is a wonder unto itself. ☺
Concerning the authority and the sovereignty of God, as it applies to man-- in this case, a man who was essentially blameless -- I can't think of a better example.

God does not act wickedly, and the
Almighty does not pervert justice ...

He shatters the mighty without investigation
and sets others in their place ...
He strikes them as wicked men in the open
sight of others --Job 34
If He were to set His heart to it
and withdraw His Spirit and breath,
all flesh would perish together and
mankind would return to the dust.
Likewise, the Investigative Judgment is for the benefit of angels to see Gods justice on behalf of the saints. All judgements are not for God's benefit because He knows He is just and right.
(There is no Investigative Judgment.)

That aside, Judgment is not for the benefit of angels.
... surely it is not angels that he helps,
but he helps the offspring of Abraham.
God tells us, Himself--

“I-- yes, I alone --​
will blot out your sins​
for my own sake
and will never think of​
them again." Isaiah 43:25
I am writing to you,​
little children, because​
your sins are forgiven for
his name’s sake. 1 John 2:12

Even angels long to look into these things.
1 Peter 1:12

Commentary - Bengel
Angels contemplate​
the work of salvation​
from without, as spectators
-- not as participants.​
Vincent
Commentary
To look into (παρακύψαι)

A very graphic word, meaning to stoop sideways (παρά).
Used by Aristophanes to picture the attitude of a bad harp-player. Here it portrays one stooping and stretching the neck to gaze on some wonderful sight.

It occurs in James 1:25, describing him who looks into the perfect law of liberty as into a mirror; and in Luke 24:12; John 20:5, John 20:11, of Peter and John and Mary stooping and looking into the empty tomb...

Bengel acutely notes the hint in παρά, beside, that the angels contemplate the work of salvation from without, as spectators and not as participants.
Compare Hebrews 2:16; Ephesians 3:10.
. . .

phipps

Star
If a judge pronounced sentence without the jury's and court's participation, how much confidence would you have in him? For this reason, God's judgement always includes investigation, and God's investigation always displays His righteousness, so that one day, "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10-11).

1698490974755.png