Popular Secular Artists & their Jesus Shift

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Who knows?!

Kanye West Confirms 'Jesus Is King' Release Date

Following Kim Kardashian’s social media teaser and a subsequent reveal on Kanye West’s official web site, the multi-hyphenate artist has finally confirmed the release date for his highly-anticipated album Jesus Is King.

During his appearance in Batesville, Indiana, West took the stage to confirm the project is on the way. “Jesus Is King is out September 27th, so let’s continue this…” West can be heard saying in the video posted below, to which the crowd responded with a loud cheer. From the tracklist shared by Kim, fans can expect the tracks “God Is,” “Baptized,” “Sunday,” and “Sweet Jesus.”

https://hypebeast.com/2019/9/kanye-west-jesus-is-king-album-release-date-confirmation

Well worth suspicious yet open-minded consideration when it comes out!!!

Swiftturtle

Established
Who knows?!

https://hypebeast.com/2019/9/kanye-west-jesus-is-king-album-release-date-confirmation

Well worth suspicious yet open-minded consideration when it comes out!!!
Ive been wondering if he’s going to have features from current Christian artists- tho that would cut into his $ share if he’s doing this all for $. Having Tasha Cobbs & Lecrae as features would not only get the attention of Tasha’s gospel/worship crowd, but also Lecrae’s Christian rap crowd. If he is genuine about this life change & the reverence of praise music, entering that genre with people those genres already love would be the smart thing to do. Idk if Tasha and Lecrae would risk their reputations though. Ohhh, or Koryn Hawthorne...Koryn has a song with Lecrae...

If he hadn’t literally torched his past connections, and continued to be loud about it, I’d say it was definitely a gimmick. I worry that he got ordained (yes..seriously...he apparently did), yet a kid in Awana could probably scorch him in Biblical knowledge. I don’t think he has a pastor that’s guiding him, or being a spiritual leader, and that’s a red flag.

If he’s wanting to just do music, that’s one thing to assess...but if he’s thinking he’s going to suddenly be a ‘pastor’ of a church...that’s a problem from the jump.

I will be shocked if he doesn’t take this album on tour like all other Christian artists do when they have a new record. That’ll be interesting bc he’ll have holdover old fans, new gospel fans, and ppl that will go just to say “I have got to see this, this is crazy.” I bet it’ll sell out stadiums...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Ive been wondering if he’s going to have features from current Christian artists- tho that would cut into his $ share if he’s doing this all for $. Having Tasha Cobbs & Lecrae as features would not only get the attention of Tasha’s gospel/worship crowd, but also Lecrae’s Christian rap crowd. If he is genuine about this life change & the reverence of praise music, entering that genre with people those genres already love would be the smart thing to do. Idk if Tasha and Lecrae would risk their reputations though. Ohhh, or Koryn Hawthorne...Koryn has a song with Lecrae...

If he hadn’t literally torched his past connections, and continued to be loud about it, I’d say it was definitely a gimmick. I worry that he got ordained (yes..seriously...he apparently did), yet a kid in Awana could probably scorch him in Biblical knowledge. I don’t think he has a pastor that’s guiding him, or being a spiritual leader, and that’s a red flag.

If he’s wanting to just do music, that’s one thing to assess...but if he’s thinking he’s going to suddenly be a ‘pastor’ of a church...that’s a problem from the jump.

I will be shocked if he doesn’t take this album on tour like all other Christian artists do when they have a new record. That’ll be interesting bc he’ll have holdover old fans, new gospel fans, and ppl that will go just to say “I have got to see this, this is crazy.” I bet it’ll sell out stadiums...
I have always found Paul’s pragmatism on the preaching of the Gospel interesting:-

Philippians 1

“15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: 16 The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; 17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.”

Swiftturtle

Established
I have always found Paul’s pragmatism on the preaching of the Gospel interesting:-

Philippians 1

“15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: 16 The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; 17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.”
Yessss, so true. I was texting my sister and we share that sentiment. It’s so bizarre, but this is a whiplash to our current culture that I think literally only Kanye could pull off. I can’t think of anyone else that holds such a huge platform after willingly burning his career down- against jayz no less. And, there’s a completely different vibe with joyful praise music than anything secular music offers. He’ll be the reason thousands of ppl experience it for the first time. It’s like that song ‘I can only Imagine.’ It was playing on every type of station, and the secular music world was baffled- but ppl were feeling something in that song that secular songs can’t do.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2019/09/16/kanye-west-delivers-fiery-hours-long-sermon-to-jam-packed-atlanta-church-preaches-radical-obedience-to-jesus-christ/amp

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Yessss, so true. I was texting my sister and we share that sentiment. It’s so bizarre, but this is a whiplash to our current culture that I think literally only Kanye could pull off. I can’t think of anyone else that holds such a huge platform after willingly burning his career down- against jayz no less. And, there’s a completely different vibe with joyful praise music than anything secular music offers. He’ll be the reason thousands of ppl experience it for the first time. It’s like that song ‘I can only Imagine.’ It was playing on every type of station, and the secular music world was baffled- but ppl were feeling something in that song that secular songs can’t do.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2019/09/16/kanye-west-delivers-fiery-hours-long-sermon-to-jam-packed-atlanta-church-preaches-radical-obedience-to-jesus-christ/amp
I got to thinking that during the late 60s the culture was immersed in drugs, “free sex”, Eastern religions and gripped by fear of world events. Out of that movement, “whosoever’s” like Barry McGuire who sang “Eve of Destruction” and Bob Dylan became Christians and the “Jesus Movement”, which ran, in some ways as a counterculture, made a huge impact.

As I grew up, answered prayer, healings, sharing the gospel with others and growing in faith seemed like the norm! I got saved towards the 80s and I’m so glad that I had the upbringing and opportunity to hear the gospel.

I think that in the times we live in now there are many people who have had enough of the godless culture we are expected to spoon down, and maybe even some who have been the paid puppets of the ‘elites’ may find that Jesus is able to set them free. Just as you couldn’t have predicted looking at the Woodstock generation that there would be the seeds of revival growing among the tares of the Enemy, maybe it is not too much to hope and to pray for in this generation of Burning Man attendees (who God still loves dearly!).

Xoalienn

Rookie
Before Kanye was rememberd for his ego, he put out a song called Jesus Walks. He had hints of at least believing in God on his album and it was evident he was raised in church at the very least. It was also evident he wanted fame and money so badly, and to be seen as successful after having been a behind the scenes producer. He definitely made a deal with the devil to get there. After his mom died, he changed a lot. She seemed to keep him somewhat grounded in his upbringing. The seed was planted long ago in Kanye, so it doesn’t surprise me that he’s claiming to be born again. He knows. But I’m also not going to be surprised if he truly isn’t (which is between him and God). I am, however, rooting for him. I’ve always loved who he is, you can tell he’s a very insecure scared man, overcompensating. He has finally seemed to come to a comfortable spot for himself, albeit all around him and the world he paid to get into, makes him uncomfortable.

Swiftturtle

Established
Before Kanye was rememberd for his ego, he put out a song called Jesus Walks. He had hints of at least believing in God on his album and it was evident he was raised in church at the very least. It was also evident he wanted fame and money so badly, and to be seen as successful after having been a behind the scenes producer. He definitely made a deal with the devil to get there. After his mom died, he changed a lot. She seemed to keep him somewhat grounded in his upbringing. The seed was planted long ago in Kanye, so it doesn’t surprise me that he’s claiming to be born again. He knows. But I’m also not going to be surprised if he truly isn’t (which is between him and God). I am, however, rooting for him. I’ve always loved who he is, you can tell he’s a very insecure scared man, overcompensating. He has finally seemed to come to a comfortable spot for himself, albeit all around him and the world he paid to get into, makes him uncomfortable.
I remember reading that they didn’t want him to do ‘Jesus Walks’ bc it wouldn’t be played so it wouldn’t sell. But Kanye is Kanye and he did it anyway. I think you’re right about his mother- losing her kind of sent him on a spiral, I just wonder which kind. I think it was guilt bc he paid for her plastic surgery, but then there are those ppl that constantly talk about someone close having to die before they’re allowed to ‘make it big.’ Idk..just seems weird. Whether he’s seeking God is a heart thing like you said, but it is definitely giving a platform I never expected!

Xoalienn

Rookie
I remember reading that they didn’t want him to do ‘Jesus Walks’ bc it wouldn’t be played so it wouldn’t sell. But Kanye is Kanye and he did it anyway. I think you’re right about his mother- losing her kind of sent him on a spiral, I just wonder which kind. I think it was guilt bc he paid for her plastic surgery, but then there are those ppl that constantly talk about someone close having to die before they’re allowed to ‘make it big.’ Idk..just seems weird. Whether he’s seeking God is a heart thing like you said, but it is definitely giving a platform I never expected!
God is so merciful, He could be using these otherwise demonic platforms for His good!

Swiftturtle

Established
I’m floored
So beautiful. Idc if ppl ‘believe’ Kanye or not, this wouldn’t have the attention it does if not for him.

saintroserosalia

Established
Kanye at the time was being made a mockery of by paling around with Trump and calling him his 'dragon brother'. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

I posted this here in a different thread.. but just be careful when it comes to these ppl and trust.
Agreed. I really think that people shouldn't praise human beings aka celebrities too much. What I learn these past weeks from Hong Kong protests is that people are way too easily brainwashed more than they care to admit.

free2018

Star
This is just good marketing to Christians. That's all I see it as. I am dissapoint? No, they will do ANYTHING to sell.
When Kanye does release? It will go platinum. Just marketing.

Swiftturtle

Established
I’m always torn re: prophets of today, but Kim Klement (now passed) had this prophecy, and i was shocked when I heard it recently:

April 5, 2005 Prophet Kim: "...I will raise from rock groups, from rap artists, I will raise from sportsmen and they will speak out the word that the musicians and the rappers already experienced in prophesying without the Spirit, but now they are going to prophesy with the Spirit and with the fire and that will raise up a generation that shall be filled with the fire of God and consumed with his seal..." Isaiah 55:11"...So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it..."

Can’t help but think of Kanye:

And cases of over lap in others:

1.https://religionnews.com/2017/05/25/mainstream-rap-has-become-christian-so-why-is-christian-rap-going-mainstream/

2. https://www.premiergospel.org.uk/Blog/8-mainstream-artists-you-never-knew-were-Christian

3. http://godreports.com/2019/01/rapper-lamars-prophetic-witness-bridges-divide/

Swiftturtle

Established
This is just good marketing to Christians. That's all I see it as. I am dissapoint? No, they will do ANYTHING to sell.
When Kanye does release? It will go platinum. Just marketing.
He could sell a regular rap album all day, any day. He’s not MC Hammer trying to get $ bc he can’t in the rap game. Doing an album based on faith after the past he has is going to be hard. Really hard. Prior fans that want no part of this ‘God thing’ won’t buy it. Tons of Christians that don’t ‘trust’ his heart change, won’t buy the album. He’s not running to any ‘guarantee’...he threw a lit match at the secular safety net. The idea it’s all for money is laughable.
Also, a reminder that any Christian artist- even worship groups (cough...shady, shady Hillsong) make loads of $ off of their albums and tours. Just bc someone is a ‘Christian’ artist doesn’t mean they don’t make bank off of their work. It’s hilarious to me that ppl think only Kanye shouldn’t make money off of new albums of they’re not secular. At least he’s open about being a mess that God’s working on. I don’t agree with him on numerous things, and I’m weary about his ‘claims’- but only God knows his heart, and I’m not going to pretend I’m God and tell him he’s not ‘allowed’ to be turning to God bc I don’t agree with his past.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
A good piece of balanced discernment on how to approach prominent stars who appear to have come to faith:-

Aero

Superstar
"Jesus Walks" Is a classic track. That was around the time Kanye was at his best. Of course, I'm not an expert on rap music. I was a white boy growing up in the suburbs when gangster rap exploded in the 90s. Gangster rap appealed to me because it was so raw. Before rap was all about clout chasing, it was just about what rappers had seen in the streets. My point is that I don't think some versions of gangster rap are secular.

I think that all forms of hip hop and rap have value beyond what culture figureheads think it should be. Like how rap exposes people to things they never would have been exposed to otherwise. However, I can't deny the secular influence that's really dominated the content lately. To be clear it doesn't bother me hearing people rap about fat bags of cash or their 50th Lambo. It's just not very exciting to me like it doesn't illuminate me to anything I couldn't accurately assume. If you are a popular artist we know you have a car collection and a mansion.

I talked recently about the pressure to stay relevant. And exploring that I've realized relevance is the focal point of cultish type behavior. What I mean is the people at the top of the cult lower the bar and then they just keep it away. Or they play give and take depending on things like devotion to the agenda, and popularity contests. Either way, the parallels to some type of organized religion are pretty clear when it comes to the "industry". You pretty much have to play ball "their" way, and that goes against the spirit of rap.

In conclusion, the first rappers I saw were rebels. And you know who else was a rebel? Jesus.