Pope’s decision to change the Lord’s Prayer

Allegra

Veteran
The pope’s decision to approve the change from the traditional translation “Lead us not into temptation” to “Do not let us fall into temptation” was based on this reported rationale:

“I am the one who falls; it’s not him pushing me into temptation to then see how I have fallen,” Francis explained to Italian broadcasters about the phrase change. “A father doesn’t do that. A father helps you to get up immediately. It’s Satan who leads us into temptation. That’s his department.”

————
Can some Catholics here say something about this? Your pope is getting wild y’all.

Rev 18:4
And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.

John piper says the pope is reading the bible upside down.
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/reading-the-bible-upside-down

justjess

Superstar
The Vatican has not released any statement regarding this nor has any catholic source so imo until there is confirmation or denial I’d regard this as fake news. Especially considering the original source of the story is the guardian which was then picked up by Fox News.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
wat

I've Always prayed "do not let us fall into temptation", that's how it is in poor-too-geese

Allegra

Veteran

justjess

Superstar
I said until I see a statement from the Vatican or an official site I will operate under that impression. You would think something as huge as changing the main Christian prayer would warrant a statement from the church, no?

What exactly is hopeless about reserving judgement until something is sure instead of speculation? I’m pretty sure that’s what we are supposed to do. Being vigilant and all.

Todd

Star
In my language it literally means “do not take us into temptation”
Hate to break it you, but Jesus didn't pray in your language or teach his disciples to pray in your language. LOL!

Allegra

Veteran
I said until I see a statement from the Vatican or an official site I will operate under that impression. You would think something as huge as changing the main Christian prayer would warrant a statement from the church, no?

What exactly is hopeless about reserving judgement until something is sure instead of speculation? I’m pretty sure that’s what we are supposed to do. Being vigilant and all.
Before I put my post here I already did my research so I think u should do your research whenever u read news from here not quickly jumping into conclusion whether it’s true or not. If it’s not then say “I did research and I can’t find any legit source” At least do it to make you look less stupid. Just saying.

Allegra

Veteran
Hate to break it you, but Jesus didn't pray in your language or teach his disciples to pray in your language. LOL!
Errr I know that? Does it even matter? I’m just saying cuz someone said in another language Jesus did not speak it says like that, so I’m just adding in my language it is exactly like from english translations

Todd

Star
Errr I know that? Does it even matter? I’m just saying cuz someone said in another language Jesus did not speak it says like that, so I’m just adding in my language it is exactly like from english translations
What??

Allegra

Veteran
Me Anderson said “in Portuguese” and Jesus did not speak Portuguese right?

And my language, Jesus also did not speak when He was on earth obviously.

So i was talking to Mr. Anderson that in his language it means “do not let us fall into temptation”

And I said in my language “do not take us into temptation”

So I don’t know why u suddenly jumping about Jesus did not speak my language LMAOO

Todd

Star
Becaue the orginal words of Jesus are what matters the most, not what any translation in any particular person's languge says. No reason to criticize the Pope, (and no I am not defending him at all either) until you research and fully understand what Jesus actually meant in his own language to his disciples. Simply trusting what your english translation says is not very good due diligence if you are going to start questioning someone else's persepective or views on a translation.

justjess

Superstar
Before I put my post here I already did my research so I think u should do your research whenever u read news from here not quickly jumping into conclusion whether it’s true or not. If it’s not then say “I did research and I can’t find any legit source” At least do it to make you look less stupid. Just saying.
I looked it up after you posted... lo and behold no word from the Vatican. The stories original source was the guardian and sorry but I’d rather wait it out for official word considering. I already stated this. Not sure how that makes me look stupid... seems you just have a chip on your shoulder for some unknown reason

Allegra

Veteran
Becaue the orginal words of Jesus are what matters the most, not what any translation in any particular person's languge says. No reason to criticize the Pope, (and no I am not defending him at all either) until you research and fully understand what Jesus actually meant in his own language to his disciples. Simply trusting what your english translation says is not very good due diligence if you are going to start questioning someone else's persepective or views on a translation.
Ok then u go pray like this his real language Aramaic

Abwoon d'bashmaya
Netqaddash shmak
Teete malkutah
Nehvwey tzevyannach aykanna d'bashmaya aph b'arha
Havlan lahma d'sunqananan yaomana
Washbwoqlan haubvayn aykana daph hnan shbvoqan l'hayyabayn

Wela tahlan le'ynesyuna. Ela patzan min bisha
Metul dilakhe malkuta wahayla wateshbuhta l'ahlam almin
Amen

Read more: https://www.lords-prayer-words.com/lord_aramaic_original_text.html#ixzz5qlQx31MP

I believe what is already in the bible. God already made it that way for us to believe and pray for hundreds years. If it was wrong, He would change it long ago.

Second I have my own reasons why I reject pope after reading Cathecism my own.

Allegra

Veteran
I looked it up after you posted... lo and behold no word from the Vatican. The stories original source was the guardian and sorry but I’d rather wait it out for official word considering. I already stated this. Not sure how that makes me look stupid... seems you just have a chip on your shoulder for some unknown reason
If you don’t want to believe then that’s fine. Well get back here when Vatican says something cuz apparently u just want it from there

Allegra

Veteran
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.romereports.com/en/amp/2019/06/12/arch-arthur-roche-lords-prayer-only-to-change-in-italian-at-request-of-italian-bishops/

Rumors that the “Our Father” is changing are true, but only for Italians. The English version will stay exactly the same, for now.

Archbishop Arthur Roche, the Secretary for the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, asserts it was not the pope who pushed for this change, but the Italian Episcopal conference.

He said each episcopal conference around the world has a responsibility to make all liturgical texts coincide with the Bible translation in their native tongue.

MSGR. ARTHUR ROCHE
Secretary, Congregation for Divine Worship, Sacraments
“No, the the pope isn't changing the Our Father? How could he change what is in Scripture? You see, the most fundamental text for liturgical translations is the Bible. Because the prayers of the Mass are mainly taken from the Scriptures. So the texts of the Mass have to correspond to the Bible.”

This change is taking place now because the Italian Episcopal conference is remaking their Roman Missal. The entire process has taken them a bit more than 10 years to complete.

Archbishop Roche says the phrase 'lead us not into temptation' is the one to be replaced.

ARCH. ARTHUR ROCHE
Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship, Sacraments
“Because it says in the Italian text, 'not to abandon us into temptation. ' That is why the Italian bishops have chosen to use that phrase.”

The expected publication date for the Italian Roman Missal is Advent 2019. Once published, this is when the change for the Our Father will officially take place in all Italian Masses

Wow an archbishop says it’s true! Must be fake news cuz not of Vatican!!