Polygamy In Christianity And It's Taboo In The Western World

ah i apologize
but im not referring to christianity itself. Im talking about the current state of society, i also have half brothers and sisters so i don't understand if i can be with multiple people at the time, have kids with them and so on, why do i have to make only one my wife? that law is hideous and the loopholes are many.
I'm not inclined to criticize your world view or Pakistani culture, but from a Christian perspective the one Husband one Wife view makes both spiritual and real-life sense to me. Christian scripture often uses the terms male and female or malehood and femalehood representing the two parts of a once union that has been separated. It more universally represents the separation of spirit and matter (a separation described in Genesis when Eva was removed from Adam, and cosmically described as the separation of Heaven and Earth). The reunion of these parts is in spiritual terms the path to salvation, ie. your "fallen body" reuniting with your spiritual half. Transposed to the material plane, the one man - one woman relationship makes perfect sense, also in light of the unique love aspect I have mentioned before.

SheWatches

Rookie
To me, the number of deadbeat dads out there is proof enough that in western civilization at least, most guys are not mature enough to handle even one marriage/one family, which should automatically rule them out marrying other women & starting other families. This is why western civilization traditionally/religiously/& legally condones only one couple marriages.

manama

Star
To me, the number of deadbeat dads out there is proof enough that in western civilization at least, most guys are not mature enough to handle even one marriage/one family, which should automatically rule them out marrying other women & starting other families. This is why western civilization traditionally/religiously/& legally condones only one couple marriages.
marriage is becoming obsolete

Lisa

Superstar
marriage is becoming obsolete
I think people still want to be married...its just that they aren't prepared for how hard it is to stay married. I think that people think if they just live together it will solve the hard parts of staying married, but I don't know that that works either.

SheWatches

Rookie
manama said: marriage is becoming obsolete

Which is why I wasn't really being facetious when I brought up polyamory. In many ways, polyamory is a multi-polygamous structure that only extraordinarily emotionally mature people can handle - who have conquered most of their demons of jealousy. I personally know I couldn't do it, but I know some families who are doing pretty well by it. "Many hands make light work" as they say & the financial benefits are many too when you have more than one breadwinner. But I too, for myself, am rather old fashioned about marriage.

Last edited:

manama

Star
I think people still want to be married...its just that they aren't prepared for how hard it is to stay married. I think that people think if they just live together it will solve the hard parts of staying married, but I don't know that that works either.
Everyone ive talked to says whats the point of getting married if you love each other. its just a title afterall
Maybe this is why we have people dating for 5-10+ years and not getting married

You're forgetting about the women who choose to be single moms. I know plenty like them.

Everyone ive talked to says whats the point of getting married if you love each other. its just a title afterall
Because back in the day divorce wasn't that easy and marriage was considered a social commitment, not a publicity stunt for an emotional phase.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
From a Christian perspective I think God set the example with giving Adam only Eve and the metaphors for Israel being His wife. God married only one nation and if I remember Israel is mentioned as being an adultress for turning to other gods.

From a secular view I think it takes some incredible maturity and polygamy isn't for everyone and really only viable in a few situations.

The Zone

Star
You keep coming up with these analogies which seem a bit jaded towards marriage. I am trying to figure out if you are really young in that I don't seem to see the folks you do so dead set against marriage or wanting to discount or shun the tradition. I am wondering where you live as well to better understand your take and wonder too, if the company you keep is like minded or if you feel your analogies are based on an objective take. I get the maybe answer to Mecca in that some people do marry for other than love at times, meaning money or status and in some cases arranged which has always been a scary thought for me. Anyhow, stating marriage is becoming obsolete just seems a bit of a reach, IMHO.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
You keep coming up with these analogies which seem a bit jaded towards marriage. I am trying to figure out if you are really young in that I don't seem to see the folks you do so dead set against marriage or wanting to discount or shun the tradition. I am wondering where you live as well to better understand your take and wonder too, if the company you keep is like minded or if you feel your analogies are based on an objective take. I get the maybe answer to Mecca in that some people do marry for other than love at times, meaning money or status and in some cases arranged which has always been a scary thought for me. Anyhow, stating marriage is becoming obsolete just seems a bit of a reach, IMHO.
It's more accurate to say that the death of the nuclear family has subsequently seen to the slow erosion of the institution that is marriage in light of more modern families.

manama

Star
i am young, but thats what i see. Majority of people just don't want to get married calling marriage just a title. I live in Pakistan so people here do get married or want to get married or not be in a relationship at all but what i said is what i heard from all my murican friends.

The Zone

Star
murica
The way un-educated Americans (generally rednecks, hicks, republicans, or very patriotic people) say America.
Man: If you don't like how we do things heer'n murica then you ken GIT OUT!!

'Murica. (satirical, humorous, derogatory) The United States of America as viewed by the stereotypical conservative southerner.

So, I guess it is the intent to insult for some of you. It is akin to me calling someone Eurotrash or camel jockey. I think one meant it that way to try an elevate their intellect in their minds eye, while one has just heard it a lot.

Last edited:

Camidria

Veteran
i am young, but thats what i see. Majority of people just don't want to get married calling marriage just a title. I live in Pakistan so people here do get married or want to get married or not be in a relationship at all but what i said is what i heard from all my murican friends.
As a married person I can tell you that there is a deep spiritual change that happens when you do get married. And also if you understand that marriage is sacred in God's eyes, you as a person can grow and actually become more 'holy' in a sense as you and your partner give to one another, shaping one another, and dying to your own selfish self whilst serving your husband / wife.

This doesn't mean that you have no boundaries or that you are worthless. In a marriage where you and your partner are both committed in serving one another, giving 100% in fulfilling one another's needs, you can build a lasting and incredibly happy marriage. If you just stay together there is absolutely no need for you as a person to change or grow, it's just about what you need and you alone and you can step out anytime with no problems, people also do not work through difficult situations that actually helps you to become a better person, when it gets hard they just leave.

manama

Star
murica
The way un-educated Americans (generally rednecks, hicks, republicans, or very patriotic people) say America.
Man: If you don't like how we do things heer'n murica then you ken GIT OUT!!

'Murica. (satirical, humorous, derogatory) The United States of America as viewed by the stereotypical conservative southerner.

So, I guess it is the intent to insult for some of you. It is akin to me calling someone Eurotrash or camel jockey. I think one meant it that way to try an elevate their intellect in their minds eye, while one has just heard it a lot.
its just a joke for me, if you are going to take it seriously well sucks to be you

manama

Star
As a married person I can tell you that there is a deep spiritual change that happens when you do get married. And also if you understand that marriage is sacred in God's eyes, you as a person can grow and actually become more 'holy' in a sense as you and your partner give to one another, shaping one another, and dying to your own selfish self whilst serving your husband / wife.

This doesn't mean that you have no boundaries or that you are worthless. In a marriage where you and your partner are both committed in serving one another, giving 100% in fulfilling one another's needs, you can build a lasting and incredibly happy marriage. If you just stay together there is absolutely no need for you as a person to change or grow, it's just about what you need and you alone and you can step out anytime with no problems, people also do not work through difficult situations that actually helps you to become a better person, when it gets hard they just leave.
i also find marriage beautiful, i was just talking about the opinions ive heard from different friends.