Polygamy In Christianity And It's Taboo In The Western World

The Zone

Star
Money and ego leads one to become God like in their own minds for many. It can corrupt the spirit via lust and not being able to control the power of having some of the world at your beckon call. I once had a person tell me he was glad he was not rich in that he'd not be able to resist the spoils, thus there was a better chance at one day of meeting his God.

Last edited:

Kung Fu

Superstar
Money and ego leads one to become God like in their own minds for many. It can corrupt the spirit via lust and not being able to control the power of having some of the world at your beckon call. I had once a person tell me he was glad he was not rich in that he would not be able to resist the spoils, thus there was a better chance at one day meeting his God.
It's implied in the Quran and stated in a hadith that the Most High could have easily made everyone wealthy but if He did do that than the majority of us would more easily fall into sin because the means for us to sin is readily available due to the wealth. Not everyone can handle wealth which is why lottery winners usually end up losing all that money. The more money and wealth we have the easier it is for us to do things that aren't necessarily healthy to us physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Last edited:

DavidSon

Star
We aren't living in OT.. Same argument was made trying to prove that Christians support slavery. Because it was happening back then. We ought to learn from others mistakes, while you argue we must repeat them...Yeah Solomon had huge harem, didn't worked out very well for him did it ? He abandoned faith and God because of it. I just told you what adultery in Bible is. Jesus doesn't leave much space for interpretation here...You might feel free to question things and look to places to exploit, to find different interpretations. I'm not going to do that. I wonder how many times in bible its mentioned " and for this reason a man will leave his father house"... and what God joins together...Too lazy to write it all, I'm sure you know what I have in mind since it is repeated ad nauseum in bible, apparently still not enough. In ot man could divorce a woman, yet Jesus says they were allowed to do so only because they hearts were hardened. Puts things in perspective...
Since there was already a thread on the subject I thought to reply here. I've read through most of it and think there were some helpful comments.

The earlier argument was that Abraham, Moses, David, Jacob, etc. were somehow sinful or against the Most High for having multiple wives. This is incorrect. Ancient people attributed a large family and as many children as possible to the blessings of God. We read about figures in Genesis who built up cities within a generation. If a man had the means why wouldn't he want 100's of grandchildren?
Again, there is absolutely nothing ungodly about a righteous man joined to multiple women in marriage.

Now the subject of polygamy in Christianity and the Western world is a different subject. I respect that traditional Christians have been content with a smaller family. Jesus preached against materialism and naturally His followers will live a more simple/humble life-style.

I just think there should be a distinction made between what we choose vs. rearranging what the Bible teaches.

Vytas

Star
Since there was already a thread on the subject I thought to reply here. I've read through most of it and think there were some helpful comments.

The earlier argument was that Abraham, Moses, David, Jacob, etc. were somehow sinful or against the Most High for having multiple wives. This is incorrect. Ancient people attributed a large family and as many children as possible to the blessings of God. We read about figures in Genesis who built up cities within a generation. If a man had the means why wouldn't he want 100's of grandchildren?
Again, there is absolutely nothing ungodly about a righteous man joined to multiple women in marriage.

Now the subject of polygamy in Christianity and the Western world is a different subject. I respect that traditional Christians have been content with a smaller family. Jesus preached against materialism and naturally His followers will live a more simple/humble life-style.

I just think there should be a distinction made between what we choose vs. rearranging what the Bible teaches.
Well I think jews were special, and it had to be made sure their nation will survive no matter what. Because Messiah will come. I understand you want to see it simply as continuity and tradition. It's okay, for me any continuity was broken with Jesus. Same way we do not do sacrifices anymore. Because something has changed.