• Yes

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Something that has always puzzled me @Red Sky at Morning is this. I have always perceived the word indoctrination as a negative term. The reason for this is because each time I've encountered a person who openly admits to being indoctrinated I've noticed that all their life seems to revolve around is then going forward to indoctrinate others.

Shouldn't religion be a private matter? Just like a person's sexuality? When you start to make these very private matters a point of public debate all you are going to achieve is to create discord. By all means believe in whatever God you want, pray away, just keep it to yourself...that's all.

The same with sexuality. You don't see groups of heterosexuals marching down the streets with banners saying twice weekly sex in the missionary position is what everybody else should accept.... it's a private matter, nobody elses business. End.of really.

The question I have for you is what do you see as positive about being an indoctrinated person? Are you not just parrotng somebody elses thinking?

Sorry Frank, I'm not trying to derail the thread. It does appear today that our kids are being indoctrinated into believing that gender is now an option as opposed to a biological assignment.
I think your observations and questions certainly merit exploration as they raise come good points.

I offer these for the purpose of consideration, not just to be contrary...

What is your conception of “spiritual truth”?

Is it the existential leap of faith, where I might have “my truth” and you might have “your truth”. If “God” is not real, this process of individual reaching out to the unknowable beyond is one that each of us who choose that party should politely respect. It would be crass for those who embrace one form of irrational reaching out to naysay those of another tradition. If on the other hand God is distinct and real, that proposition allows for some people getting God very wrong as well as the possibility with knowing something more accurately of Him.

If the Bible is true, does it matter?

This might best be answered by an observation C.S. Lewis made...

“Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance, the only thing it cannot be is moderately important”

Is it ever a good thing to be “indoctrinated”

Perhaps this depends on the mental process of the person. If you have unquestioningly and uncritically absorbed teachings without considering external critiques, you are in intellectual danger. Just because you have a faith, you should never be an intellectual couch potato. It also occurred to me when I was thinking about this about 7 years ago now that we are all “indoctrinated” in the sense we have all absorbed values, authorities and sympathies from media, education, friends, family and wider culture. The real question is who we believe and why.

Does having a strong faith have to make you an ar$e?

My take - it shouldn’t, but it can do.... I came across an interesting book title yesterday and I offer it for consideration. For those of us who do believe, it contains some serious wisdom for the way we treat those who are struggling Christians or those who have no faith at all.

C04B2597-EDDF-47A2-A335-06DCC1240EE9.jpeg

Awoken2

Superstar
I was hoping for a more personal reply, from your own piont of view as opposed to CS Lewis and the like but never mind.

On with the thread content we go.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I was hoping for a more personal reply, from your own piont of view as opposed to CS Lewis and the like but never mind.

On with the thread content we go.
I didn’t want to post anything too long in reply on this thread, so here’s something more personal...