Political Compass

rainerann

Star
fun :)

So I would think that I was libertarian.

I think that is what the chart is saying that I am.
Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

So I understand that it is saying that I am not an extreme libertarian, but I don't really understand what the economic line is saying. Other than that, I think it is interesting that I almost hit a bullseye in the center of the chart. Overall, I would say that this seems like a pretty accurate result.

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
mecca, where did you believe you would be before taking the test?
did you think you had such libertarian views?

mecca

Superstar
mecca, where did you believe you would be before taking the test?
did you think you had such libertarian views?
I knew I would be on the left and on the side of libertarian but I wasn't necessarily expecting to be so far down.

Bottom left corner = anarchist.

Etagloc

Superstar
I knew I would be on the left and on the side of libertarian but I wasn't necessarily expecting to be so far down.

Bottom left corner = anarchist.
Quite the anarchist lol... you got more anarchist than me... I nust be like Stalin compared to you lol

polymoog

Superstar
Quite the anarchist lol... you got more anarchist than me... I nust be like Stalin compared to you lol
quite surprising to see you so far left when you have a conservative slant through religion.

Etagloc

Superstar
quite surprising to see you so far left when you have a conservative slant through religion.
well... it depends on what is considered left. I think the concept that everyone is left or right is inherently flawed.

I think the "political compass" thing is fun and interesting but I don't think it- or the "left-right" concept itself should be taken too seriously.

I think it's an artificial concept and I think it oversimplifies. For example- was Plato a leftist or was he on the right?

You can't say he was either without vastly oversimplifiying his views.

Last edited:

Etagloc

Superstar
Even someone more recent like Malcolm X- you can't really fit him entirely on either side. The whole left-right paradigm is inherently misleading. I mean... what does you position on gay marriage have to do with your position on gun control? If your thinking conforms to preconceived packages of beliefs, it might just be more a sign of the homogenization of thought and people being herded than of any sort of consistency in thinking.

rainerann

Star
Even someone more recent like Malcolm X- you can't really fit him entirely on either side. The whole left-right paradigm is inherently misleading. I mean... what does you position on gay marriage have to do with your position on gun control? If your thinking conforms to preconceived packages of beliefs, it might just be more a sign of the homogenization of thought and people being herded than of any sort of consistency in thinking.
Maybe you should watch the video explaining the left, right economic line because it has nothing to do with your position on gay marriage or gun control. It demonstrates whether you favor a free market economy or a government driven economy. That is the point of the compass according to the explanation Polymoog posted---to show how the way we define things as left or right doesn't actually define a left or right position.

For example, Stalin was on the left, but he is an authoritative government driven economist; whereas, Gandhi was also on the left, but he was more of a libertarian goverment driven economist.

Etagloc

Superstar
Maybe you should watch the video explaining the left, right economic line because it has nothing to do with your position on gay marriage or gun control. It demonstrates whether you favor a free market economy or a government driven economy. That is the point of the compass according to the explanation Polymoog posted---to show how the way we define things as left or right doesn't actually define a left or right position.

For example, Stalin was on the left, but he is an authoritative government driven economist; whereas, Gandhi was also on the left, but he was more of a libertarian goverment driven economist.
I was talking about the concept of left-right, not specifically left-right as defined by the political compass people. There's more to it than just economics. And whether you throw in charts, graphs or not, left-right is still an artificial concept.

rainerann

Star
I was talking about the concept of left-right, not specifically left-right as defined by the political compass people. There's more to it than just economics. And whether you throw in charts, graphs or not, left-right is still an artificial concept.
Well according to the compass, someone who supports gay marriage could be more authorian than a person who supports the right to bear arms, and when we use these definitions as right and left, they often become confused to suggest that someone who supports gay marriage is libertarian while someone who supports the right to bear arms is authoritarian.

That is what the compass helps clarify about the differences in our positions and I actually find it to serve a rather useful function because of this.

Additionally, it also clarifies that a political position is defined by your position on economics and leadership, not your position on gun control and gay marriage.

Discussions on gay marriage in particular, muddy political discussions with things that don't actually have anything to do with politics and create distracting divisions.

Etagloc

Superstar
Politics is not merely thoughts on economics. That in itself is an ideological position. That sounds like something akin to how Reagan or Thatcher thought.

rainerann

Star
Politics is not merely thoughts on economics. That in itself is an ideological position. That sounds like something akin to how Reagan or Thatcher thought.
Well, it is along with a position on a leadership style.

It is the government that is frequently required to be involved in economic matters. The best and last real example of the proper place of government within the economy was when it was made illegal to create monopolies.

Everything regarding politics from this point has been a convoluted mess that makes it difficult to see what the actual role of government is or should be.

Most of what we consider political discussion isn't actually a political subject, which demonstrates that many people have a much more authoritarian political position.

Etagloc

Superstar
Well, it is along with a position on a leadership style.

It is the government that is frequently required to be involved in economic matters. The best and last real example of the proper place of government within the economy was when it was made illegal to create monopolies.

Everything regarding politics from this point has been a convoluted mess that makes it difficult to see what the actual role of government is or should be.

Most of what we consider political discussion isn't actually a political subject, which demonstrates that many people have a much more authoritarian political position.
To say politics is merely your thoughts on economics and leadership is pure ideology. How can you prove it scientifically? Can you prove it philosophically?

It is an arbitrary and loaded premise. If Aristotelian logic demonstrated anything, it's that if logic proceeds from a false premise, then its entire structure falls apart.

There is no reason to accept that redefinition of politics which I'm pretty sure would have been totally foreign to Aristotle and pretty much any of the ancient political thinkers.

That's a made-up redefinition, no less made-up than 120 genders.... if you want to accept arbitrary, made-up concepts as reality you can do so but that's a biased and arbitrary redefinition of politics. Can anyone name any thinker previous to the 20th century who believed that? Like I said, that sounds like Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher type thinking. That's something relatively recent that was made up. You can accept an arbitrary premise if you want to but it's a house built on sand.