Polanski's Chinatown

sorry if this is posted else where, i didn't see it. But I watched Chinatown and only later realized it was by Roman Polanski. Chinatown btw is rated 99% by critics and 93% audience score on rotten tomatoes. rated #98 of the top 100 movies of all time on RT and just at #24 on IMDB. This is a big movie.
I don't want to release spoilers, it is considered a classic and a very interesting movie. I actually really liked it. Okay anyways, to the point though But big spoiler ahead. Only read on if you've seen or really sure your ok with a major spoiler!! -Spoiler- ::Ok this film directly deals with power, a position in power and sexual abuse to a minor. These are directly connected.:: -End of Spoiler- And of all people to have directed it.
I also have seen Rosemary's Baby, ::Spoilers:: also which is another by his which in this case it's abuse to a woman plus satanism. So these films both by a director who is a convicted child rapist in hollywood, for drugging and raping a minor, who has actually been proven guilty and somehow never got in trouble for it.
Anyways, so I think this might be a lead to look into.
Also Rango the cg animated series is Heavily inspired by Chinatown, so not sure if that means anything, but it is something maybe to look at. Slight spoilers:: Rango also has many weird/off religious themes as well, and Did related symptoms/trauma symptoms in main characters.

I will try, I am not eager to do an analysis on it at the moment, but that the theme is they live in a desert and there is little water, there is a strong sense of dread that the people will die. The mayor is not at all worried and since he is comparitively richer than everyone he has water.
There is a religious looking ritual they do on the day of the week that they get their water rations that they do get. This to me is part of what indicates a religious undertone, also a lot of the dialogue is religious, esp with the character Beans who is the one character just about who has not sold up their father's land. Again the father's land has a spiritual undertone in those words.
It turns out that this water thing is a plot to steal everyone's land and then the mayor will own and control everything.
The snake who is the mayor's person to threaten everyone and keep them in line is definitely very much sounding like the devil, his eyes are fiery. That's the best I can do at the moment, but maybe will try harder to figure this out in more detail later if I can find the time.
Also the symbolic nature of water itself is very spiritual, besides that it's connected to their religious like ritual.

here is a good scene though for many religious aspects at once.
2:15 - the end
watch this at 2:12 the sound of the music in relation to the water, the sun beam hits the pipe, how high it is compared to the people, and also 2:30 how the mayor talks about it, that the water is a deliverance. he speaks like a priest here. then the holy spigot, and how it looks very religious 2:53