"plus Size" Is Now "fabulously Sized"

Canuckster

Rookie
Wow, fatasses blaming co2 now. The sad thing is, there will be people who believe it.

Beloved

Rookie
As someone who has been overweight the majority of my life, it ain't fun, comfortable nor healthy being overweight. I've been doing better recently, and been losing a good amount of weight through better food choices and being more active.

I don't see how anybody can be proud of being fat. most fat people make choices to get fat, or remain fat. You can't go to regular clothing stores and buy right off the rack. Your body is built funny - clothing doesn't look as good on you - and truthfully it's hard on our bodies and bones and joints etc to carry around extra weight.

Pick up a 50 pound bag of rice, or some sort of weight, or anything that weighs 50 pounds, and that is what it would be like to carry 50 pounds of extra body weight. It's crazy

We might not can be physically perfect, but we can make better food and lifestyle choices to optimize our health.

JoChris

Superstar
As someone who has been overweight the majority of my life, it ain't fun, comfortable nor healthy being overweight. I've been doing better recently, and been losing a good amount of weight through better food choices and being more active.

I don't see how anybody can be proud of being fat. most fat people make choices to get fat, or remain fat. You can't go to regular clothing stores and buy right off the rack. Your body is built funny - clothing doesn't look as good on you - and truthfully it's hard on our bodies and bones and joints etc to carry around extra weight.

Pick up a 50 pound bag of rice, or some sort of weight, or anything that weighs 50 pounds, and that is what it would be like to carry 50 pounds of extra body weight. It's crazy

We might not can be physically perfect, but we can make better food and lifestyle choices to optimize our health.
Congratulations for your progress. :)

Devine

Star

yes good luck on your journey i think it's great that you want something better for yourself

lamb

Established
i feel really bad when people mock fat/overweight people. it's not as simple as "just stop eating!". with all the food additives, sugar, msg corporations are putting into our food it's understandable why it's so difficult for them to give up certain foods. it's a business... their entire focus is to make people addicted so they can profit more. food has a lot of psychological effects to it too, dopamine and all that. some article said sugar is 8x more addictive than cocaine- we don't even realize it affects us too, we might not be overweight but try a low sugar/carb diet for a while, you'll start noticing your body has difficulty adjusting to the withdrawal. the people who make fun of fat people for eating mcdonald's are the same people who are eating pasta and pork regularly... i've never been overweight (the asian gene lmao) but i eat so unhealthily, i have minor issues like reflux and hypotension from my bad eating habits but frankly, just because i'm skinny doesn't mean i take care of my body. all these people are skinny, but if they were to mock an obese person for their diet they wouldn't realize how hypocritical they were being.
look at keith! he's skinny af but you cannot tell me his diet is healthy lol
americans especially, a lot of our "healthy" foods are PACKED with sugar and sodium. even if you check the labels, you have to remember their "serving sizes" are humorous compared to the amount we actually eat
ectomorphs, mesomorphs, endomorphs are pretty accurate from what i've seen tbh. body structures aren't all the same, we think everyone has a mesomorph kind of body so they're eating excessively but it's ridiculously easy to gain weight as an endomorph.

that said, we shouldn't be treating people like they're special either for being overweight. i feel bad how quick we are to mock them for their eating habits but they still need to stop overeating and binging if they are- we can't disregard the health risks in obesity. i just think we should be more sympathetic towards them, you don't tell a crack addict "just stop snorting!"- i know drugs and food may seem like a stretch but i feel like we're really unaware of all the chemicals processed and packaged foods are putting into our bodies

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
lamb, you raise some good points. (and i love reading about success stories, like beloved stated. makes me happy.)

no one said changing ones diet is easy. IMO, sweet talking does not work. straight talk does.
the big problem is that most people have NO WILLPOWER (and no commitment to finish anything). no one exercises their willpower, and no one wants to put forth any effort. i have very little sympathy for these kinds of people. when i DO see effort being exerted, i go out of my way to support them.

Maes17

Superstar
lamb, you raise some good points. (and i love reading about success stories, like beloved stated. makes me happy.)

no one said changing ones diet is easy. IMO, sweet talking does not work. straight talk does.
the big problem is that most people have NO WILLPOWER (and no commitment to finish anything). no one exercises their willpower, and no one wants to put forth any effort. i have very little sympathy for these kinds of people. when i DO see effort being exerted, i go out of my way to support them.
Willpower is a big one.
Willpower alone I was able to make better choices. Rarely eat dessert. I'll have a cookie now and then. Same with fast food, maybe once every three months.

It was quite easy to kick my energy drink obsession. I was fearing withdrawal symptoms that never came.

A couple years ago I was heavy drinking over stupid stuff. Another habit I kicked easily.

What really got me was that my dad had to be rushed to the ER cause he was near close to being in a diabetic coma. We didn't know he has diabetes at the time.

To see him on a bed with needles in his arms was a wake up call and I knew I didn't want to end up like that for my son or wife.

Now, my dad is physically fit. Off of all diabetic medication, he just has to monitor his sugar levels.

In the process we challenge each other through diet and exercise

AMK

Rookie
Willpower is a big one.
Willpower alone I was able to make better choices. Rarely eat dessert. I'll have a cookie now and then. Same with fast food, maybe once every three months.

It was quite easy to kick my energy drink obsession. I was fearing withdrawal symptoms that never came.

A couple years ago I was heavy drinking over stupid stuff. Another habit I kicked easily.

What really got me was that my dad had to be rushed to the ER cause he was near close to being in a diabetic coma. We didn't know he has diabetes at the time.

To see him on a bed with needles in his arms was a wake up call and I knew I didn't want to end up like that for my son or wife.

Now, my dad is physically fit. Off of all diabetic medication, he just has to monitor his sugar levels.

In the process we challenge each other through diet and exercise

Good for you! I think making intelligent choices is the way to go. I had a physical in May and the doctor gave me one simple piece of advice. "Stop eating foods that turn into sugar" I took that to heart and changed my diet that very day. Without feeling hungry or deprived I've lost weight quite easily. I used to drink alot as well, now I have a glass of wine maybe once or twice a week. I snack on nuts and fruit, gave up white flour, rice and pasta. I only eat whole grain products now. It takes planning and willpower, but the results are worth it.

i'm not a fan of the new obese love. I get that we should love and appreciate each other as we are , but being obese is not safe and shouldn't be promoted as normal or healthy.

Maes17

Superstar
Good for you! I think making intelligent choices is the way to go. I had a physical in May and the doctor gave me one simple piece of advice. "Stop eating foods that turn into sugar" I took that to heart and changed my diet that very day. Without feeling hungry or deprived I've lost weight quite easily. I used to drink alot as well, now I have a glass of wine maybe once or twice a week. I snack on nuts and fruit, gave up white flour, rice and pasta. I only eat whole grain products now. It takes planning and willpower, but the results are worth it.

i'm not a fan of the new obese love. I get that we should love and appreciate each other as we are , but being obese is not safe and shouldn't be promoted as normal or healthy.
Good for you too. Small steps lead up. I like the healthy feeling. I tend to find I handle stressful situations better as well. I'm into weight training, but I'm not bulking up too much. Along with some hiit cardio and a generally healthy diet. I feel great.

If you're trying to avoid sugars. But have a craving, I'll reach for a piece of fruit. I rarely do pasta. I do eat whole wheat bread however, and allow some cookie crisp cereal twice a week(wed/fri). But congrats on the turn around yourself. :)

Being obese is never safe. I get the whole respecting yourself and such.
But I do agree with your comment

makeorbreak

Established
Let's face it, overweight is overweight and I, like too many others, have fallen victim to my weaker side and my love for sugar. I'm not happy about it and I keep saying I'm going to do something about it. That doesn't mean I'm going to trick myself into a state of denial so I believe I'm beautiful or sexy or anything even remotely attractive, certainly not fabulous!

I see nothing wrong with the term, "plus size" but if you're going to display clothes, don't separate them into different sections. Place all of the women's fashion in the same area; don't relegate plus sizes to a far corner. It seems men aren't as sensitive because there are Big and Tall stores. Then, again, maybe men don't like to be singled out that way but they realize they don't have a choice.

Just one thing, hide the spandex. There are some things the human mind just cannot make any sense of and the eyes are incapable of un-seeing.

AMK

Rookie
Let's face it, overweight is overweight and I, like too many others, have fallen victim to my weaker side and my love for sugar. I'm not happy about it and I keep saying I'm going to do something about it. That doesn't mean I'm going to trick myself into a state of denial so I believe I'm beautiful or sexy or anything even remotely attractive, certainly not fabulous!

I see nothing wrong with the term, "plus size" but if you're going to display clothes, don't separate them into different sections. Place all of the women's fashion in the same area; don't relegate plus sizes to a far corner. It seems men aren't as sensitive because there are Big and Tall stores. Then, again, maybe men don't like to be singled out that way but they realize they don't have a choice.

Just one thing, hide the spandex. There are some things the human mind just cannot make any sense of and the eyes are incapable of un-seeing.

Your comment about clothes in different sections reminds me of an unpleasant experience I had.

I had just given birth to my first daughter, I was hormonal, puffy, and yes a little overweight. I was attempting to get back to normal by shopping, and was looking at some shirts. This old guy who I'm guessing was the owner saw me and snapped "Those aren't for you ! You need the big sizes in the back!" I just wanted to crawl under a rock. I walked out of there with tears in my eyes, I couldn't believe how incredibly rude and nasty he was just because I was overweight.

makeorbreak

Established
People have to understand that they are not perfect and should look in the mirror before they judge others. Not everyone who is overweight is so because they want to be. There may be a medical reason or psychological reason. The main thing is that you are healhy but keep in mind that no symptoms does not mean you are not doing your body harm by carrying the extra weight. So, no matter what anyone may say or do, hold your head high and know you are doing the best you can to change your body.
But, don't lie to yourself to accept a you that is unhealthy and understand that not everyone who criticizes your weight is doing it with meanness. Some actually care about your health. Listen to those people. Ignore all of the others.

Maes17

Superstar
People have to understand that they are not perfect and should look in the mirror before they judge others. Not everyone who is overweight is so because they want to be. There may be a medical reason or psychological reason. The main thing is that you are healhy but keep in mind that no symptoms does not mean you are not doing your body harm by carrying the extra weight. So, no matter what anyone may say or do, hold your head high and know you are doing the best you can to change your body.
But, don't lie to yourself to accept a you that is unhealthy and understand that not everyone who criticizes your weight is doing it with meanness. Some actually care about your health. Listen to those people. Ignore all of the others.
Agreed

Maes17

Superstar
Your comment about clothes in different sections reminds me of an unpleasant experience I had.

I had just given birth to my first daughter, I was hormonal, puffy, and yes a little overweight. I was attempting to get back to normal by shopping, and was looking at some shirts. This old guy who I'm guessing was the owner saw me and snapped "Those aren't for you ! You need the big sizes in the back!" I just wanted to crawl under a rock. I walked out of there with tears in my eyes, I couldn't believe how incredibly rude and nasty he was just because I was overweight.
That owner is cold lol.

After we had our son, my wife wanted me to make healthier choices for all of us. I was big on craft beers. Never realized I was getting so big.

Wake up calls and set realistic expectations. Started small by cutting out alcohol/caffeine.

My wife was super hormonal post birth too. But she made small dietary changes that added up right away. She got everything balanced fast.

She ran track in high school. I played hockey and football. So we are able to set workout routines and get creative.

Small steps. That goes for anyone.
And as stated earlier. Willpower. There has to be a purpose imo to make the small steps really impactful. Keeps you into it and not discouraged

elsbet

Superstar
...does anyone really give a fuck about this sort of thing?

I mean, we have rights getting taken away, a president who pardons a sheriff known for exploiting them and who encourages police to rough people up, constant dehumanization on a global level, and this is the sort of shit that grinds your gears?
It feeds into the whole 'Not calling a spade a spade' thing. Encourages people to embrace what's killing them, so in that sense.. yeah. o_O

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
That owner is cold lol.

After we had our son, my wife wanted me to make healthier choices for all of us. I was big on craft beers. Never realized I was getting so big.

Wake up calls and set realistic expectations. Started small by cutting out alcohol/caffeine.

My wife was super hormonal post birth too. But she made small dietary changes that added up right away. She got everything balanced fast.

She ran track in high school. I played hockey and football. So we are able to set workout routines and get creative.

Small steps. That goes for anyone.
And as stated earlier. Willpower. There has to be a purpose imo to make the small steps really impactful. Keeps you into it and not discouraged
A few years ago when I realised I needed to lose some weight there was nothing fabulous about my size! It creeps up on you, especially beer, and before you know it you've got two stone to lose!

It is better to feel guilt and shame for something negative, change direction and walk away from the things that took you there, rather than just embrace what is hurting you and calling that "fabulous"!

Last edited:

Teclado

So everyone in this thread eats 1200 calories of lettuce and runs marathons, then? Floss daily? Get 8 hours of sleep? 100% emotionally stable? We all have something we can do better.

I couldn't care less about the terminology used to denote clothes for overweight people, but I do think that this meme about being concerned about the health of the obese, while it may be genuine concern by some, is extremely condescending. Of course they already know about their bodies - they live in them every day - and they don't need strangers glaring at them, or people making snide remarks about them. It's pretty telling that any concern about the functionality of an obese person's body is conflated with how inconvenient it is to look at them and how strange it is that they don't immediately implode with that "helpful" self-loathing that they really ought to have, according to experts on the internet. Nobody wants to address the socioeconomic factors and cultural shifts that lead to obesity, they just want to attack the person.

Having a positive body image is part of being psychologically healthy, you know? That matters too. And also, one can have a positive body image and appreciate their body even while recognizing areas that could use improvement. Shaming someone is only going to make them less likely to want to do anything, and attacking the self-esteem has motivated nobody in the history of ever.

As for that ad, she's already done more yoga than I have in years, so she's probably healthier than me tbh