Philosophical Musings

Aero

Superstar
When people get in groups, immaturity takes over.

Once you mature enough, you realize how the scripts are the opposite of how they appear, and a lightbulb goes off. In essence, everyone is too wrapped up to take an accurate measurement of the power dynamics at play. This is a lesson I literally remember from 4th grade.

Unfortunately, we repress the good with the bad. I should have built on the power dynamic lesson as a kid, but instead, it's like I felt some shame. I should have felt like a cult leader and apparently didn't want it. I know that might sound bad, but as a philosophy, I made the wrong choice.

I think that most people want safety and comfort instead of power. So any way you slice it, it's better for us to become the cultists than to let the cultists run wild.

Tidal

Star
True story from Readers Digest-
A philosophy lecturer held up a pencil and said to his students "Write an essay about this pencil".
When he collected the papers later he gave top marks to the student who'd written just two words-"What pencil?"

Tidal

Star
And still on the subject of illusion and reality, we should always say to ourselves-

Awoken2

Superstar
And still on the subject of illusion and reality, we should always say to ourselves-

....he posts....for the twenty seventh time. You keep on decorating this forum with your favourite Tom Berenger quote.

Do you have a bit of thing for him?

Tidal

Star
You keep on decorating this forum with your favourite Tom Berenger quote.
Do you have a bit of thing for him?

Well he's certainly got a great philosophy on how we should take life's knocks and keep smiling..:)

"Take the pain! TAKE THE PAIN!"

I get what this is trying to say... But it ignores a few things. First, the people that built ancient roads didn't have degrees... But they did have training. Second, the reason why ancient roads survived is because they were repaired and maintained. When Rome fell, roads that weren't use for trade or transfer soldiers fell into disrepair.

Like a lot of modern roads do. Throw in the fact that modern roads are designed to be cheap to maximize profit... Well, yeah.

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
"Unique among all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves the environment and preys not on any other species." ~ Royden Brown

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
“The criers of the Mysteries speak again, bidding all men welcome to the House of Light. The great institution of materiality has failed. The false civilization built by man has turned, and like the monster of Frankenstein, is destroying its creator. Religion wanders aimlessly in the maze of theological speculation. Science batters itself impotently against the barriers of the unknown. Only transcendental philosophy knows the path. Only the illumined reason can carry the understanding part of man upward to the light. Only philosophy can teach man to be born well, to live well, to die well, and in perfect measure be born again. Into this band of the elect--those who have chosen the life of knowledge, of virtue, and of utility--the philosophers of the ages invite YOU.”
― Manly P. Hall, The Secret Teachings of All Ages