Penalizing people for abandoning elderly parents

morita

Veteran

That's something I was reading and it made me wonder if it was fair to penalize anyone for abandoning their parents in old age.
1) some parents are abusive (even though mine weren't). Parents can fuck up their kids and when said kids are grown, I undeerstand they would want nothing to do with them.
2) I think it's absurd that parents are revered in society as if they could do no wrong, because they literaly just had sex and brought a kid into life. That doesn't make you a saint or anything.

so what are yall opinions?

justjess

Superstar

That's something I was reading and it made me wonder if it was fair to penalize anyone for abandoning their parents in old age.
1) some parents are abusive (even though mine weren't). Parents can fuck up their kids and when said kids are grown, I undeerstand they would want nothing to do with them.
2) I think it's absurd that parents are revered in society as if they could do no wrong, because they literaly just had sex and brought a kid into life. That doesn't make you a saint or anything.

so what are yall opinions?
I think it’s a sad sad world when we don’t honor our elderly anymore.

Wigi

Veteran
Honoring your elderly parents isn't even a matter of choice, It's God command. Even if I don't have 'nice' parents, it's still my family and I can't get away from it.

Lisa

Superstar
I think it's absurd that parents are revered in society as if they could do no wrong, because they literaly just had sex and brought a kid into life. That doesn't make you a saint or anything.
Parents do more than that..they raise that kid too and that’s not an easy task. I think most parents really do try to do their best but we aren’t given a manual when the kid comes out..we are just winging it.
It doesn’t make you a saint, no, but it should bring you some respect....parents go through a lot raising kids.
some parents are abusive (even though mine weren't). Parents can fuck up their kids and when said kids are grown, I undeerstand they would want nothing to do with them.
Some do..a lot don’t.

justjess

Superstar
is it fair to penalize them though?
My neighbor was an elderly lady with dementia. Her son was a doctor and left her to live in this big ass house all by herself. She had a nurse that came by every morning for a couple hours but that’s it. All the neighbors and the nurse told her son numerous times she shouldn’t be left there alone and either needed full time care or to go to a home. A couple months back the nurse comes and finds her dead. Fell down the stairs and snapped her neck. Her son killed her and yeah he should be punished.

morita

Veteran
Abandoning a relative regardless of everything is bad af
but how many people will abandon a relative, especially a parent, unless there is a history of abuse. We cannot really judge from the outside, that's why I don't know if the governement should intervene in private matters.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
but how many people will abandon a relative, especially a parent, unless there is a history of abuse. We cannot really judge from the outside, that's why I don't know if the governement should intervene in private matters.
I was drunk when I wrote that :p

morita

Veteran
My neighbor was an elderly lady with dementia. Her son was a doctor and left her to live in this big ass house all by herself. She had a nurse that came by every morning for a couple hours but that’s it. All the neighbors and the nurse told her son numerous times she shouldn’t be left there alone and either needed full time care or to go to a home. A couple months back the nurse comes and finds her dead. Fell down the stairs and snapped her neck. Her son killed her and yeah he should be punished.
That's a sad story but technically he didn't kill her. He should have sent her to a retirement home if he didn't want to take care of her though, so he was responsible to a certain extent.

justjess

Superstar
That's a sad story but technically he didn't kill her. He should have sent her to a retirement home if he didn't want to take care of her though, so he was responsible to a certain extent.
You can kill someone through negligence. Especially when your a doctor.