Parenting

I firmly believe what the parents do, or don't do, far outweighs what the school does.
I agree, I've seen that with my family. Most of us come from dysfunctional homes and as a result the lot of us were a little lost to say the least. Except with 3 of my cousins. They grew up in a very close-knit Christian home and they have their lives in order for the most part. Its a huge difference when parents are actively involved.

Having said all that tho, I dont blame my parents for my problems because Im the one who made the choices that put me where I am today.

Pomegranate

Rookie
Not sure if anyone has posed this but it's a fairly long list of what not to eat.

These "food" companies are associated or part of the Grocery Manufacturers Association, a crony organization that has spent millions of dollars defeating GMO labeling laws in various states and congress/senate.

List of companies to keep away from your children's tummy and certainly your own.

GMA's position on GMOs

justjess

Superstar
Depends on the age tbh - as kids get older peers outweigh everything.

But I'm not really talking about influence, that's not my main concern at all. Schools as prison pipelines, labeling five year olds as budding sociopaths, over diagnosing ADHD and the accompanying overuse of meth on kids because of behaviors they'd rather not deal with and funding considerations etc.

Lurker

Star
Heck no! There are many problems with daycare and school no matter which country you're in, but parents outweigh school in the influence department.
I disagree. Parents don't have the child's (mostly) undivided attention for 6+ hrs/day. When the child is home, homework will eat away at the little time there is. How to do math is always changing in order to make parents look dumb to the child. Social agendas are pushed through the schools.

This is not to say that parents don't play a significant part, but the deck is stacked. The table is tilted.

Devine

Star
Not sure if anyone has posed this but it's a fairly long list of what not to eat.

These "food" companies are associated or part of the Grocery Manufacturers Association, a crony organization that has spent millions of dollars defeating GMO labeling laws in various states and congress/senate.

List of companies to keep away from your children's tummy and certainly your own.

GMA's position on GMOs
these are great. i've seen lists too where a lot of the organic brands now are still owned by kraft, etc.

justjess

Superstar
Not possible for everyone unfortunately. We just make our bills with me working. There's no extra for me to say "ok we will live with less"

Devine

Star
well we had to move, change our vehicles, do a lot of changes to make it happen. i guess i do think it's possible for anyone to do it if they are willing to sacrifice a lot of things and make a lot of drastic changes, but i wasn't trying to imply everyone should do that. just telling my story

llleopard

Established
Depends on the age tbh - as kids get older peers outweigh everything.

But I'm not really talking about influence, that's not my main concern at all. Schools as prison pipelines, labeling five year olds as budding sociopaths, over diagnosing ADHD and the accompanying overuse of meth on kids because of behaviors they'd rather not deal with and funding considerations etc.
I think maybe school in NZ has not caught up with all these things. Teachers here have no authority to diagnose anything. they can make referrals to other agencies for further investigation, but the process is robust, and medicating children is certainly not the norm.
I agree with you about funding for additional needs though - there is a proposal here at the moment to take this out of school operating grants, which will disadvantage a lot of children and schools. How about we take some of the funding from the America's Cup stupidity or billion dollar deals with Hollywood, and put it towards children!
Our schools have secure fences in some of the main parts of Auckland - mostly where there are main roads that are a danger, but the vast majority of schools are still very open. They welcome families to use the grounds after hours ie to play and picnic, use the pool, hire the hall, in as a kind of community watch and/or contribution. Our rural and semi-rural schools are the hub of their communities and very family oriented with lamb&calf day etc. Even the town schools work very hard to achieve community connection and input.
Not everything is perfect....but it sounds a lot less vile than what you are describing! :)

justjess

Superstar
well we had to move, change our vehicles, do a lot of changes to make it happen. i guess i do think it's possible for anyone to do it if they are willing to sacrifice a lot of things and make a lot of drastic changes, but i wasn't trying to imply everyone should do that. just telling my story
Lol that assumption is why poor people are hated and people like your guy trump get away with screwing them over.

I already moved to a place that is soo cheap to live comparatively to the rest of the USA, my car costs nothing it's ten years old and we share it. There is nothing left to sacrifice.

Devine

Star
um. ok. i am poor. so what i assume about myself is why i am hated?
i'm not really sure what you are trying to say here...

justjess

Superstar
You have an assumption that everyone can make this work if they just sacrifice enough. That's not true. Some people - lots of people - have nothing left to sacrifice.

I don't hate you. But the wide spread attitude that "if millennialist just stopped eating avocado toast they could afford healthcare/buy homes etc" is why the deck continues to be so stacked against the poor and struggling. If we can't even admit/realize that these issues are systemic and not a "worthy vs unworthy poor" debate nothing will ever change.

Pomegranate

Rookie
these are great. i've seen lists too where a lot of the organic brands now are still owned by kraft, etc.
Yeah, I actually did not know that some of these crony companies are pushing organic products while also promoting GMOs. This is a list of some those "organic brands".

PepsiCo - IZZE, Naked Juice, Simply Frito-Lay, Starbucks Frappucino

Coca-Cola - Honest Tea, Odwalla, Keurig/Green Mountain Coffee

Nestle - Gerber Organic, Sweet Leaf tea

Kraft/Mondelez - Boca Burgers, Green and Black's

General Mills - Annie's, Cascadian Farm, Larabar, Muir Glen

ConAgra Foods - Alexia, Pam organic cooking sprays

Kelloggs - Bear Naked, Gardenburger, Kashi, Morningstar Farms

Smuckers - R.W. Knudsen, Santa Cruz organic, Smuckers Organic

Hershey's - Dagoba

Bimbo Bakeries - Earthgrains bread

McCormick - Simply Asia, Thai Kitchen

Hormel - Applegate

Pomegranate

Rookie
Wouldn't it be crazy if our grocery stores were labeled by the actual few companies that own all the food? like if all the shelves had the same label? is accurate but would look crazy
Haha, that would be crazy!! Man, I wish it were like that. More people would realize how consolidated the food industry is.

What we have now is simply an illusion of choice and competition.

Devine

Star
You have an assumption that everyone can make this work if they just sacrifice enough. That's not true. Some people - lots of people - have nothing left to sacrifice.

I don't hate you. But the wide spread attitude that "if millennialist just stopped eating avocado toast they could afford healthcare/buy homes etc" is why the deck continues to be so stacked against the poor and struggling. If we can't even admit/realize that these issues are systemic and not a "worthy vs unworthy poor" debate nothing will ever change.
make what work, life? i just firmly believe that any of us, if we had or wanted to, could walk into the forest and live off the land no problem. so many of our modern conveniences have been around such a short time, electricity running water etc. what like a few hundred years? compared to all of the history of man? i guess i feel like the illuminati tricks us into thinking we need them and their conveniences to be happy.
a lot of it, especially financially, is growing your own food. idk. i live in the rural midwest. there are billboards by the airports encouraging people to apply for benefits. we got one homeless man who passed through my town and the churches were fighting over who was going to buy him a hotel and a bus ticket it was in the damn paper. i really don't see any one where i live struggling. flee the rat race and move to the country folks!
i don't really know what my point is anymore except that i was just saying that, unlike many of my peers, staying home with my kid has taken precedent over any house, car, money, whatever. for me.

justjess

Superstar
And it's great that your husband makes enough money for that to be an option for you. You keep saying precedent over house car money etc. your assuming people have stuff they can sacrifice. In order for me to quit working we would have to starve or get someone to allow us to live with them so we don't have rent because there's literally nothing else to cut. Could I go live in the woods and hunt my food? No, not really. I don't have any hunting tools for one. And I have ms I can't be exposed to the elements like that without getting really really sick.

I'm just trying to show you that you have a privilege others do not. Your insisting it's a choice not to, and that's how privilege works and replicates itself - by convincing those with it it's not actually a privilege at all.