Palestine will not participate in Manama's workshop

Thunderian

Superstar
Who wants peace, anyway?

Palestine will not participate in Manama's workshop
The Palestinian Authority decided Thursday not to attend a U.S.-led economic workshop next month in Bahrain, according to Saeb Erekat, secretary-general of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO)’s Executive Committee.​
"We do not want to criticize or undermine anyone's interests, but in light of the decisions of the American administration we decided not to participate in the conference, in Manama in any way," he said in a statement. "Those who want to defend the interests of the Palestinian people must support the position of the Palestinian consensus represented by the position of [Palestinian] President Mahmoud Abbas, PLO's Executive Committee, the Palestinian factions, the national figures and the private sector."​
Erekat said the (PLO), the sole and legitimate representative of the Palestinian people, did not authorize anyone to speak on its behalf.​
"We highly value this Palestinian consensus for the victory of our legitimate national rights."​
Erekat thanked the "international consensus" at the U.N. Security Council that opposed the U.S.-administration's positions to attempt to topple the two-state solution on 1967 borders, and the issues of Jerusalem, refugees, [Israeli] settlements and borders.​
Washington announced plans Sunday to hold a major conference in Manama, where U.S. officials will unveil economic aspects of American back-channel peace plan U.S. President Donald Trump has termed the “deal of the century.”​
Bahrain defended the workshop, characterizing it as an attempt to empower Palestinians.​
In addition to Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates officially announced participation in the workshop.​
Since Trump’s controversial announcement to move the American embassy to Jerusalem, the Palestinian leadership in Ramallah has rejected any mediating role by the U.S. in the Middle East peace process.​
Jerusalem remains at the heart of the perennial Mideast conflict, with Palestinians hoping East Jerusalem -- occupied by Israel since 1967 -- might eventually serve as the capital of an independent Palestinian state.​

Scars512

Established
That "peace" plan is crock of shit anyway. I can see why the Palestinians refuse to participate in the charade. Nutty-yahoo must have some good pics of Trump in order to get him to agree to everything Isra-hell wants. Would love to know what could be worse than the dirt we already know about him (the allegation of the r*pe of a 13 year old, golden showers with Russian hookers, bragging about grabbing women by the pu$$y.) It has to be some seriously messed up stuff.

justjess

Superstar
It's much better than what they have now, and I bet, if they tried real hard, they could see a state from there.
They’ve made it clear having their own state is non negotiable. Proposing a deal without it is insulting. Trumps hardball tactics really aren’t appropriate in this situation.

Thunderian

Superstar
They’ve made it clear having their own state is non negotiable. Proposing a deal without it is insulting. Trumps hardball tactics really aren’t appropriate in this situation.
No one has seen the deal yet. Even other Arab nations are saying the Palestinians are being stupid.

justjess

Superstar
Kushner has publicly stated on the record that the question of statehood is being purposely ignored and left out of the upcoming “deal”

justjess

Superstar
Scenario - Your unemployed, on benefits. You apply for a job You meet all qualifications for. Interview goes well. At the end the hiring manager says “I’m not going to offer you the job, but I’ll pay you to suck my dick”

Do you accept? Personally I’d stay on benefits and tell the guy to go fuck himself.

You yourself said the leaked version was (I can’t remember your words) but shocking/surprising/less than great for Palestine.

Thunderian

Superstar
Scenario - Your unemployed, on benefits. You apply for a job You meet all qualifications for. Interview goes well. At the end the hiring manager says “I’m not going to offer you the job, but I’ll pay you to suck my dick”

Do you accept? Personally I’d stay on benefits and tell the guy to go fuck himself.

You yourself said the leaked version was (I can’t remember your words) but shocking/surprising/less than great for Palestine.
I said I didn't know if it was the real thing. YOU'RE the one who said it was.

I can't believe I come here and hear how bad things in Gaza are -- that people are starving -- but not so bad that the people there reject a package that would mean a new life for that area. I don't get that at all.

The problem is that Gaza's "benefits" are drying up. This is their last chance. Palestinians have never had anything resembling a country. If that's really the national dream, why wouldn't they take this chance, and then work on things from there?

justjess

Superstar
I said I didn't know if it was the real thing. YOU'RE the one who said it was.

I can't believe I come here and hear how bad things in Gaza are -- that people are starving -- but not so bad that the people there reject a package that would mean a new life for that area. I don't get that at all.

The problem is that Gaza's "benefits" are drying up. This is their last chance. Palestinians have never had anything resembling a country. If that's really the national dream, why wouldn't they take this chance, and then work on things from there?
Would you accept just anything, even if it means completely compromising yourself and your beliefs, just for money? I wouldn’t.

And no I don’t know if it’s real, but what I do know is Kushner has stated on record numerous time that whatever plan he does have does not include a Palestinian state. Which last time I checked was a non negotiable for the Palestinians. You don’t go into negotiations by withholding the one nonnegotiable that’s been made clear to you from the outset and then expect people to appreciate whatever it is you offer to them.

Thunderian

Superstar
Would you accept just anything, even if it means completely compromising yourself and your beliefs, just for money? I wouldn’t.

And no I don’t know if it’s real, but what I do know is Kushner has stated on record numerous time that whatever plan he does have does not include a Palestinian state. Which last time I checked was a non negotiable for the Palestinians. You don’t go into negotiations by withholding the one nonnegotiable that’s been made clear to you from the outset and then expect people to appreciate whatever it is you offer to them.
Palestine could have had a state 70 years ago. When the Ottoman empire was collapsing and the imperial powers wanted out, both Israel and Jordan took the opportunity to declare themselves a nation, and both were recognized by the international community. Palestine had the exact same opportunity, and refused it, as they have refused every opportunity since.

z gharib

Veteran
Palestinian American figures reject US-led Bahrain 'workshop'
Several Palestinian American community organisations have denounced a planned United States-led "workshop" to encourage investments in the occupied Palestinian territories as "treason".

The US is set to cohost an economic conference in Manama, Bahrain, on June 25 and 26, to encourage investment in the occupied Palestinian territories "that could be made possible by a peace agreement", the White House said last week.

A joint statement released on Sunday by 14 Palestinian American community organisations described the conference as a "stab in the back of the Palestinian people" and a "violation of all of resolutions made at Arab and Islamic summits that prohibited normalizing Arab ties with Israel" before the establishment of an independent Palestinian state.

Criticising the Arab states' planned participation in the gathering, the statement, signed by groups like the Palestinian-American Council, Ramallah Federation and the Palestinian American Center, warned that "Arab states might end up becoming platforms to launch the suspicious Trump deal."

Palestinian American billionaire Farouq Shami also condemned the Bahrain "workshop", stating that any solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict must put an end to the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories.

"Palestinians will not trade their homeland for money," Shami told Al Jazeera.

"Once we have our own state and our freedom, we will build our own country by ourselves," the Houston- based businessman said

"It is important to address the economic component of the solution of the Palestinian issue, however, it can't be dealt with independently of a comprehensive solution to the humanitarian situation on the ground for the Palestinian people," she told Al Jazeera.

"We must first deal with the occupation and respecting the United Nations resolutions and laws before we deal with economic proposals and investments in the occupied territories."

The Race to Please Trump

"US bias towards Israel is not new or shocking," al-Qudwa said. "What's shocking, however, is the race of some Arab Gulf states to sell the Palestinians down the river so they can please Trump and get his approval for their own aggressive domestic and regional policies."

Rory Miller, a professor at Georgetown University in Doha, told Al Jazeera that if the meeting took place, it would break the mould of previous US-led attempts to negotiate an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"Its conceptual underpinning is designed to buy off one party - the Palestinians - so that they agree to a deal that does not meet their political demands."

"This meeting clearly signals the willingness of the Saudi-UAE-Bahrain axis to fully embrace the Trump administration's regional vision even if it means the public abandonment of Palestinian interests," he said.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/palestinian-american-figures-reject-led-bahrain-workshop-190527175752712.html

z gharib

Veteran
Why not? They've been trading it for hatred for 70 years.
"We must first deal with the occupation and respecting the United Nations resolutions and laws before we deal with economic proposals and investments in the occupied territories."

Thunderian

Superstar
There are no IDF soldiers in Gaza, and the PLO is in charge of the West Bank. What occupation are you talking about?

Had the Palestinians declared a state when Israel did, they would have a state today. If they don't have a state today, it's certainly no one's fault but their own. Stop blaming Israel for the hatred and bad choices of the Palestinian people.