Pakistani Student Accused Of Blasphemy Beaten To Death On Campus

floss

Star
By Jibran Ahmed | PESHAWAR, Pakistan

A mob beat a Pakistani student to death at his university campus on Thursday after he was accused of sharing blasphemous content on social media, university and police officials said.

A group of about 10 students shouted "Allahu Akbar" during the attack on fellow student Mashal Khan, who was stripped naked and beaten with planks until his skull caved in as other students looked on, video obtained by Reuters showed.

Blasphemy is a highly sensitive topic in Muslim-majority Pakistan, where insulting the Prophet Mohammed is a capital crime that has dozens languishing on death row and where even an accusation can lead to violence.

In recent months, Pakistan's government has been vocal about the issue, with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif issuing an order last month for removal of blasphemous content online and saying anyone who posted such content should face "strict punishment under the law".

Ten students have been arrested after Thursday's attack the grounds of a university in the northern city of Mardan, local police chief Mohammad Alam Shinwari said.

"After severe torture that led his death, the charged students then wanted to burn his body," said Shinwari.

At least 65 people have been murdered over blasphemy allegations since 1990, according to figures from a Center for Research and Security Studies report and local media.

It was unclear exactly what online posting had prompted the blasphemy accusation against Khan, who was studying journalism.

One of Khan's teachers recalled that he was a passionate and critical student.

"He was brilliant ‎and inquisitive, always complaining about the political system of the country, but I never heard him saying anything controversial against the religion," said the teacher.

In 2011, a bodyguard assassinated Punjab provincial governor Salman Taseer after the governor called for reforming blasphemy laws.

Taseer's killer, executed last year, has been hailed by religious hard-liners as a martyr to Islam and a shrine has been erected at his grave.
Recently, fighting blasphemy has also become a rallying cry for the government.

Pakistani online activists believe blasphemy-related crack downs on social media are veiled attempts by the country's powerful military to limit dissent on human rights violations.

In January, five online activists went missing and were publicly accused of blasphemy while they were absent. Four of them have reappeared and at least one has said he was abducted and interrogated by Pakistan's intelligence agencies.

The military has denied any part in the activists' disappearances.

(This story changes number of people on death row to "dozens" in paragraph three)

(Writing by Saad Sayeed; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pakistan-blasphemy-idUSKBN17F1ZL
:mad:

Etagloc

Superstar
I envy this world in a way..... I think he has a right to a trial and I don't think he should be treated in such an extreme way. I think it should be investigated whether or not he is guilty of blasphemy and then if he's guilty he should just be given a slap on the wrist. Some sort of symbolic punishment that is not serious and doesn't really interfere with his life but merely is a way of conveying official disapproval and discouraging him from engaging in further blasphemy.

This is a situation where the ends don't justify the means. The means are cruel but the end is a smart one. They don't want their society to turn into Sodom and Gomorrah. They're right in that regard. The issue is the means they use in this instance.

manama

Star
I am Pakistani and the most punishment for blasphemy against "any" religion is fine or in extreme case, 3 months in jail. There ain't no death row stuff going on. We are Pakistani not saudi. The last time we were ready to put the taliban leaders on death row UN especially US intervened even though they do drone attacks on us whenever they want.
The culprits of this incident should be arrested though wtf is wrong with the police. They did nothing because "there were too many people involved" wtf. Our police is cancerous, the police in my city is great and every city wouldve been this way had the old people not elected that prime minister.
I hope the students who did this and false blamed the guy, get arrested and stay in jail for their whole lives.

Etagloc

Superstar
You're basically advocating thought police. How would you see that work in the secular West? Official frowning upon and symbolic punishment for those who blaspheme secularism?
You maaay saaaaaay, I'm a dreamer..... but I'm not the only one.