Paganism and Easter

phipps

Star
This is a non-argument
I know. It was intentional and I explained why in my previous response to you. You don't even know what you're talking about. A lot goes over muslim's heads because they don't study or understand the Bible even a little. They have no background knowledge at all so its pointless exchanging words with you. Goodbye.

Last edited:
I know. It was intentional and I explained why in my previous response to you. You don't even know what you're talking about. a lot goes over muslim's heads because they don't study or understand the Bible even a little. They have no background knowledge at all so its pointless exchanging words with you. Goodbye.
This is completely false. 77% of American converts to Islam were formerly Christian.

1610028952882.png

Among those who have converted to Islam, a majority come from a Christian background. In fact, about half of all converts to Islam (53%) identified as Protestant before converting; another 20% were Catholic. And roughly one-in-five (19%) volunteered that they had no religion before converting to Islam, while smaller shares switched from Orthodox Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism or some other religion.

Muslims who live in the West are very familiar with the Bible and Christian teachings. Muslims in the East too, engage with Christians and their theology frequently. See the video below, for instance (English captions available).

Last edited:
I know. It was intentional and I explained why in my previous response to you. You don't even know what you're talking about. A lot goes over muslim's heads because they don't study or understand the Bible even a little. They have no background knowledge at all so its pointless exchanging words with you. Goodbye.
Apart from this, there are endless threads on this forum alone demonstrating high Muslim engagement with the Bible and Christian theology, with the most recent thread being @billy t's thread on Paul.

These interactions, at least for Muslims, are enshrined in the following Quranic injunction -
Say, ˹O Prophet,˺ “O People of the Book! Let us come to common terms: that we will worship none but Allah, associate none with Him, nor take one another as lords instead of Allah.” But if they turn away, then say, “Bear witness that we have submitted ˹to Allah alone˺.” (Quran 3:64)

phipps

Star
This is completely false. 77% of American converts to Islam were formerly Christian.

View attachment 50330

Among those who have converted to Islam, a majority come from a Christian background. In fact, about half of all converts to Islam (53%) identified as Protestant before converting; another 20% were Catholic. And roughly one-in-five (19%) volunteered that they had no religion before converting to Islam, while smaller shares switched from Orthodox Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism or some other religion.

Muslims who live in the West are very familiar with the Bible and Christian teachings. Muslims in the East too, engage with Christians and their theology frequently. See the video below, for instance (English captions available).

Then they never understood the Bible either. Being Christian doesn't mean they automatically understand the Bible. The Bible is a Holy Book that needs to be studied prayerfully. None of us Christians fully understand the Word of God because we are mere mortals but many supposed Christians don't study their Bibles as they should. That gives Satan an opening to confuse and lie to us in many different ways.

However judging from what @muslimah posted in response to my post, he/she really did not know what he/she was talking about.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Apart from this, there are endless threads on this forum alone demonstrating high Muslim engagement with the Bible and Christian theology, with the most recent thread being @billy t's thread on Paul.

These interactions, at least for Muslims, are enshrined in the following Quranic injunction -
Say, ˹O Prophet,˺ “O People of the Book! Let us come to common terms: that we will worship none but Allah, associate none with Him, nor take one another as lords instead of Allah.” But if they turn away, then say, “Bear witness that we have submitted ˹to Allah alone˺.” (Quran 3:64)
Billy t never knows what he/she is talking about either because again its clear he/she has no understanding of the subjects they post on. He/she has no background knowledge of the Bible, God, prophets, Bible writers, etc. Coming at Christians and attacking the Bible when one doesn't even know what they are talking about is pointless. A lot of what he/she posted was completely false. I told him/her as much. Of course they've convinced themselves they know what they are talking about but they really don't. Goodbye.

Then they never understood the Bible either.
Billy t never knows what he/she is talking about either because again its clear he/she has no understanding of the subjects they post on. He/she has no background knowledge of the Bible, Bible writers, etc.
It is a mistake to write off anyone who has studied Christianity and not accepted it as being unable to understand it. You must accept that Christianity is not an entirely coherent religion. You say that God is three, and yet one; that God caused Mary (peace be upon her) to give birth to himself; that God killed himself (comitted suicide) because he was not powerful enough to forgive humanity for its sins. Apart from this, there are numerous contradictions and inaccuracies in the Bible that prove it cannot all be God's word. Christians themselves do not agree with one another about many things.

If a religion is to call itself the truth from the Creator, it must be coherent, and bring forth clear evidences and proofs for its validity. A book that claims to be God's word must be an intact whole, with no contradictions or inconsistencies. It must prove itself to be accurate about any historical events or scientific phenomena it comments on. Its rhetoric and language must demonstrate that it it is indeed the words of God, and not the work of any human mind.

By 2050, 106 million people are projected to have left Christianity. This suggests, at least in part, that for many, Christianity does not provide a clear and salient enough description of God, nor does it provide a satisfying answer to certain existential questions, such as: what is my purpose, how can I live a meaningful life, why do I suffer?, etc.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 16.12.55.png

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
This doesn't refute my argument. I'm saying Christianity has many uncanny similarities to pagan religions which would hint at some polytheistic influence in the theology. I'm not saying every specific detail of these pagan religions will match Christianity.

Read this to see some of what I'm talking about:
View attachment 50327
Even the artwork resembles Christian depictions of Jesus and Mary.
In "The Two Babylons" Hislop outlines the number of things the Catholic Church borrowed from paganism. No wonder so many people confuse Christianity with that. The unholy mixing of pagan practices with Christianity led to the Reformation.

The offer is to toss the scriptural baby out with the Romish bathwater, but I will politely decline!

Daze

Superstar
Then they never understood the Bible either.
Personally I've never left the states. I was 31 years old when i reverted to Islam. That's 31 years of reading the bible as both of my parents were Christian. I still have 2 Christian brothers and 2 Christian sisters today out of 6 siblings.

While i don't get into debates much anymore ( because it's absolutely fruitless) i do get tired of the cop out, " well you were never Christian"..

Um yes i was. I read the bible and i went to church. You need a better argument.

muslimah

Rookie
In "The Two Babylons" Hislop outlines the number of things the Catholic Church borrowed from paganism. No wonder so many people confuse Christianity with that. The unholy mixing of pagan practices with Christianity led to the Reformation.

The offer is to toss the scriptural baby out with the Romish bathwater, but I will politely decline!
I'm not talking about Catholicism, I'm talking about doctrines that pretty much all Christians believe being pagan. Did you miss the parts about both Christianity and this pagan religion believing God has a child, God comes to earth as his child, people must worship a holy trinity, and so on?

muslimah

Rookie
However judging from what @muslimah posted in response to my post, he/she really did not know what he/she was talking about.
I mean you could actually try to make an argument but I guess this tactic is easier. Just say "you don't understand!" and leave it at that.

phipps

Star
Halloween

Is Halloween uplifting? Is it pure? Is it lovely, praiseworthy, or of good report?

Philippians 4:8 says, “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.”

Is Halloween based on godly themes such as the idea of peace, freedom and salvation or does the holiday bring to mind feelings of fear, oppression and bondage?

Additionally, does the Bible sanction witchcraft, witches, and sorcery? On the contrary, the Bible makes it clear that these practices are an abomination to the Lord. The Bible goes on to say in Leviticus 20:27 that anyone who practised witchcraft, soothsaying, sorcery should be killed. Deuteronomy 18:9-13 adds, “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you ... one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord.”

The Bible also says in Ephesians 5:11 says, “And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.” This text is calling us to not only have no association with any type of dark activity BUT ALSO to shed light on this topic to those around us. God is calling humanity to follow Him and to “come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you” (2 Corinthians 6:17).

Last edited:

Bubbajay

Veteran
Summary: Many Christians believe Easter originated as a holiday to celebrate Christ's resurrection.

Easter is known for its bunny rabbits, colored eggs, hot cross buns, and the return of springtime. But where did Easter come from?

Few people realize that Easter is not about the resurrection of Christ.

The only time the word “Easter” is found in the Bible (Acts 12:4), it is there by mistranslation. The word in the original Greek is “Passover.” Jesus died at the time of the Passover feast, but the Passover is not Easter and Jesus did not die at Easter time. Easter is an ancient spring festival. Long before the time of Christ, the pagan goddess Ishtar, or sometimes known as Astarte or Ashtoreth, was worshiped in different countries. Our modern practice of sunrise worship originates from the pagan festival honoring Ishtar. The story of Easter also helps explain how Sunday became sacred and the origin of virgin worship.

The Scheme of Imitation

Centuries before the birth of Christ, Satan encouraged people to have religious beliefs and practices that would imitate the coming Saviour’s resurrection.

This was a brilliant strategy that kept people from recognizing and appreciating the plan of salvation. Because pagans had similar beliefs of a “resurrection” before Christ, it is much easier to say that Christ’s resurrection was just another version of the same old pagan story from long ago that has nothing to do with reality or a plan of salvation of any kind. Many scoffers use this type of reasoning to explain away the Bible’s truths.

The sacrificial system was also imitated by pagans, but perverted to be all about appeasing a wrathful God instead of a loving God that became flesh and died willingly in our place. Satan has always counterfeited and perverted the truth because he knows that if he does so, many will be led to disbelieve the Bible and not choose Christ.

The early pagan practices and beliefs about Ishtar and the resurrection prepared the world for the religious apostasy which would occur after the time of Christ. The pagans believed in a god that was resurrected each spring on Easter—a day which was dedicated to Ishtar, the mother goddess. She was also called the queen of heaven and supposedly interceded with the gods on behalf of humankind. This precise belief has been applied to Mary by the Roman Catholic Church, but it is as pagan as it gets, and has no basis in the Bible whatsoever.

The mother goddess has had many names throughout the various pagan religions in history. She has been known as Astarte, Ishtar, Ashtoreth, Cybele, Rhea, Demeter, Ceres, Aphrodite, Venus, Diana, and Freya.

Easter did not originate for the purpose of celebrating Christ, but rather for the purpose of worshiping the mother goddess Ishtar. Because worshipers of Ishtar presented her with two fertility symbols—eggs and rabbits—these became part of the Christian Easter celebration. Because sunrise at the beginning of spring was the holiest day in the Mithraic calendar (next to December 25), the practice of Easter sunrise services continued on into Christianity.

Because the Ishtar celebration was held each spring on a Sunday, close to the vernal equinox, the ascension of Christ was changed from 40 days after the time of Passover (as told us in the Bible) to the annual Easter celebration. All this began in paganism, with the Ishtar and Tammuz legend.

Many Christians celebrate Easter as the day celebrating the resurrection of Christ, but the truth is that the celebration of Easter actually comes from paganism.

https://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception_pagan_Catholic_Easter_Ishtar
The bible says Easter is just another name for the feast of unleavened bread.

Herod killed James to appease the Jews, then imprisoned Peter, but kept him in jail until Easter/the feast of unleavened bread was over since it was a custom of the Jews not to kill prisoners during that week. Since Jesus was crucified during that week, we Christians call it Easter instead of the feast of unleavened bread. Jesus fulfilled the feast of unleavened bread, since leaven is associated with sin, Jesus Christ himself was unleavened (without sin). Plus the breaking of the bread symbolised the breaking of his body.

The whole Easter/Ishtar reference is nothing but word play. The catholic church later added the eggs and bunny rabbit pagan symbology into the Holiday. Easter is the most important Holiday for Christians, or it should be.

phipps

Star

Herod killed James to appease the Jews, then imprisoned Peter, but kept him in jail until Easter/the feast of unleavened bread was over since it was a custom of the Jews not to kill prisoners during that week. Since Jesus was crucified during that week, we Christians call it Easter instead of the feast of unleavened bread. Jesus fulfilled the feast of unleavened bread, since leaven is associated with sin, Jesus Christ himself was unleavened (without sin). Plus the breaking of the bread symbolised the breaking of his body.

The whole Easter/Ishtar reference is nothing but word play. The catholic church later added the eggs and bunny rabbit pagan symbology into the Holiday. Easter is the most important Holiday for Christians, or it should be.
If the Bible said this it would be lying since it tells us the ceremonial feasts and festivals from the Old testament were nailed to the cross. Easter is not mentioned in the Bible either.

The Jews who continued to celebrate the feast of unleavened bread and other feasts after Jesus' death had not accepted Christ as the Messiah. All ceremonial law ended after Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross because they all pointed to His death. The feasts, festivals, and sacrifices as laid out in the Old Testament including the Sanctuary in the wilderness and the temple in Jerusalem, were a shadow of things to come.

Every Jewish feast represented an aspect of Christ’s ministry. There are three feasts that symbolized Christ’s First Coming. They are:

1. The passover which represented the crucifixion of Christ. In 1 Corinthians 5:7 Paul says, “For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us.”

The feast of unleavened bread which represented the body of Christ. It was a symbol of Christ as He lay in the grave. Jesus attributed the symbol of bread to himself. "For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world" (John 6:33). In the same Chapter He also said, "This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world" (John 6:50-51).

Unleavened bread is bread that has no leaven (yeast). In the Bible, leaven symbolizes sin or error. It causes fermentation. The Lord said to His disciples "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees" (Matthew 16:6; Mark 8:15).

In the sanctuary’s table of shewbread, the bread, symbolizing Christ as the Bread of Life, was always unleavened bread.

3. The feast of first fruits which represented Jesus’ resurrection. The resurrected Jesus was the first fruits from the dead, "But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming" (1 Corinthians 15:20-23).

On the day of the feast of first fruits, the priest waved a sheaf of the first harvest before the Lord. None of the harvest could be eaten before the first fruits were offered to God.

These three feasts (Passover, Unleavened Bread, and First fruits) were celebrated on consecutive days, representing the days of Christ’s death and resurrection.

Last edited:

Bubbajay

Veteran
Hebrews 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without

phipps

Star
Hebrews 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without
Hebrews 9 talks about the earthly sanctuary and its limitations. It also talks about the Heavenly Sanctuary and Christ as our High Priest and Mediator of the New Covenant and how He entered the Most Holy place in the Heavenly Sanctuary with His Own blood because the blood of animals can never atone for our sins. Verse 12 says, "Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption."

The verses you posted and more talk of how the Mediator's death is necessary and how His blood is necessary for the remission of sins. Verses 27-28 say, "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation." Jesus died once for all of us.

Bubbajay

Veteran
Hebrews 9 talks about the earthly sanctuary and its limitations. It also talks about the Heavenly Sanctuary and Christ as our High Priest and Mediator of the New Covenant and how He entered the Most Holy place in the Heavenly Sanctuary with His Own blood because the blood of animals can never atone for our sins. Verse 12 says, "Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption."

The verses you posted and more talk of how the Mediator's death is necessary and how His blood is necessary for the remission of sins. Verses 27-28 say, "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation." Jesus died once for all of us.
Yes, but it states a testament doesn't begin until after the testator is dead, and relys on blood. The new testament didn't begin until after the death of Jesus Christ.

Jesus fulfilled the OT feast days during that time. We Christians don't celebrate the feast of unleavened bread, but we do celebrate easter since Jesus died and arose from the dead during that time. Easter was just another name for the feast of unleavened bread as the bible states. Its not pagan unless people add bunnies and eggs to it.

phipps

Star
Yes, but it states a testament doesn't begin until after the testator is dead, and relys on blood. The new testament didn't begin until after the death of Jesus Christ.

Jesus fulfilled the OT feast days during that time. We Christians don't celebrate the feast of unleavened bread, but we do celebrate easter since Jesus died and arose from the dead during that time. Easter was just another name for the feast of unleavened bread as the bible states. Its not pagan unless people add bunnies and eggs to it.
The New Testament arose out of the life, ministry, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ. Just as the Sanctuary and Temple ceremonial feasts and festivals were about Jesus' life, ministry, death, resurrection, ascension and second coming.

Jesus fulfilled the OT feast days during that time. We Christians don't celebrate the feast of unleavened bread, but we do celebrate easter since Jesus died and arose from the dead during that time.
Jesus fulfilled the feast days forever. They are never to be celebrated again.

Jesus died during the passover festival (which was no coincidence because He was the sacrificial Lamb), the earthquake and the tearing of the veil in the temple (Matthew 27:50-51) disrupted the temple services and the priest would not have been able to complete all aspects of the sacrifice successfully. He didn't have to since Jesus had fulfilled the sacrifice on the cross. So Christians or any human on earth for that matter should not be celebrating any of the ceremonial feasts including the one of unleavened bread.

Easter was just another name for the feast of unleavened bread as the bible states. Its not pagan unless people add bunnies and eggs to it.
Can you quote the Bible on that please?

The Bible does not refer to the day of Christ’s resurrection with any special name such as “Easter” or even “Resurrection Day,” but simply as "the first day of the week” or on “the third day after His death” to identify which day of the week Jesus rose. Historically, the celebration of Sunday as a special day for Christians appears to have begun with the celebration of Easter which is pagan. This is also one of the reasons the Catholic Church says they changed the Sabbath day from Saturday the seventh day of the week to Sunday the first day of the week, and so now most of Christendom worship on a false day.

The only commemoration of Christ’s resurrection authorized by Scripture is baptism:

Romans 6:4, "Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."

Colossians 2:12, "buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead."

1 Peter 3:21, "There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

Bubbajay

Veteran
The New Testament arose out of the life, ministry, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ. Just as the Sanctuary and Temple ceremonial feasts and festivals were about Jesus' life, ministry, death, resurrection, ascension and second coming.

Jesus fulfilled the feast days forever. They are never to be celebrated again.

Jesus died during the passover festival (which was no coincidence because He was the sacrificial Lamb), the earthquake and the tearing of the veil in the temple (Matthew 27:50-51) disrupted the temple services and the priest would not have been able to complete all aspects of the sacrifice successfully. He didn't have to since Jesus had fulfilled the sacrifice on the cross. So Christians or any human on earth for that matter should not be celebrating any of the ceremonial feasts including the one of unleavened bread.

Can you quote the Bible on that please?

The Bible does not refer to the day of Christ’s resurrection with any special name such as “Easter” or even “Resurrection Day,” but simply as "the first day of the week” or on “the third day after His death” to identify which day of the week Jesus rose. Historically, the celebration of Sunday as a special day for Christians appears to have begun with the celebration of Easter which is pagan. This is also one of the reasons the Catholic Church says they changed the Sabbath day from Saturday the seventh day of the week to Sunday the first day of the week, and so now most of Christendom worship on a false day.

The only commemoration of Christ’s resurrection authorized by Scripture is baptism:

Romans 6:4, "Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."

Colossians 2:12, "buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead."

1 Peter 3:21, "There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."
Jesus was crucified on preparation (he's the Passover lamb) day, the day before passover which always falls on a Thursday. He arose three days later on Sunday in our calender. We know the day it all happened, because the bible tells us. Since we clearly know the date, there's no speculation whatsoever. I certainly celebrate it, and always will. If you don't want to that's fine and up to you, but please quit calling it pagan when it has absolutely nothing to do with paganism.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Jesus was crucified on preparation (he's the Passover lamb) day, the day before passover which always falls on a Thursday. He arose three days later on Sunday in our calender. We know the day it all happened, because the bible tells us. Since we clearly know the date, there's no speculation whatsoever. I certainly celebrate it, and always will. If you don't want to that's fine and up to you, but please quit calling it pagan when it has absolutely nothing to do with paganism.
I think where people get mixed up is when the later, established church fixed days for certain celebrations, they sometimes hit on the idea of doing so on a date previously celebrated as a pagan holiday. If you have kids but don’t like Halloween, celebrating something diametrically opposed to it instead does not provide the new thing celebrated with a “pagan root” in and of itself. Further, taking previously pagan symbols and adding fresh meanings to them does not mean an idea is “based” on the previous pagan meaning, rather it is superseded and negated.

I mark and celebrate the Feasts of the Lord from the OT, and enjoy celebrating the newer Christian holidays too, for the meaning that they actually have, not those who are against them try to infer are the “true” meanings.