Osculum Infame and Twerk Culture

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
As you may or may not know, I'm lazy, so from wikipedia here's what is the Osculum Infame:

During the years of the witch hunts, many believed that witches worshipped the Devil and paid him homage by kissing his posterior. The osculum infame is mentioned in nearly every single recorded account of a witches' sabbat and in confessions – most of which were extracted under torture. Although most common in Europe, no illustrations of it exist in the publications of English persecutions, possibly as torture was not regularly employed in the questioning of those accused.[2] It was called the kiss of shame because it was generally regarded as an act of degradation.

According to the allegations, witches would give the kiss of shame at the beginning of the sabbat, after the Devil had read the names of his followers. They would approach him by crawling or walking backwards, turn, bow and kiss his posterior. It was believed that this kiss was required for a new witch to be initiated, and the kiss was followed by feasting.
1583262234738.png

I'm bringing this up because something that has happened recently in Brazil. [This link is NSFW.]
A friend of mine saw this and connected the acts.

Any opinions?

OnceUponATime

Established
Even by stripper standards, that "performance" would be considered pretty lewd. Not much artistic merit there. Maybe they were debasing themselves as part of an initiation?

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
Maybe. There's a part where Anitta would lick Luisa Sonza (the blonde) buttocks, just like the Osculum Infame. Luisa actually is married and she's making her husband miserable and her career is growing steadily based only on her promiscuity, we can expect a skyrocket this year if there is something to it.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
This is quite a connection you have made here.

Although I would add this..... while twerking and etc. is certainly sexual in nature, there is a difference in how cultures perceive it. For Caucasian Americans, its mainly seen as something purely sexual and the arousal factor is their primary response to the dance I.E. "That turns me on now I want to have sex". African American communities would also obviously be aware of the sexual aesthetics of the dance, but their primary response is based more off of if can the person actually dance I.E. "Look at lil Mama's moves, shes good". While there are plenty of Asian gals and Latinas that can twerk with style, Asian and Latino culture tends to frown on such displays in public.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
@tempest i've seen this site, but didn't got the time to get deep into it

also, found this in a book

Attachments