- May 20, 2017
Approaching a problem with the wrong solution doesn’t help either. If the problem is divisiveness, it is not effectively countered with more divisiveness. What are some possible effective strategies to effectively combat this behavior?
- Refuse to be a divider or engage in ‘agent provocateur’ behavior. Avoid the use of ad hominem and divisive labels and “fight back” with reason and civility—not insults
- Counter the destructive behavior by offering solutions, respectful critique, and civility
- If possible, discipline the bad behavior through comment moderation, part-time and permanent bans, removal from speaking engagements, removal of links to websites, etc. Complain to moderators instead of fighting with those who only want to fight
- Encourage dialog with those who will respond to critique. Ignore those who will not respond to critique and are only interested in fighting
- Avoid accusations that can not be convincingly proven. Instead, report facts and statements with an unbiased point of view to let others reach their own conclusions