Once Saved Always Saved?

gcha8e

Rookie
When we confess it is THEN we are Saved...

Now is the day of Salvation...

We hold in our possession NOW the Helmet of Salvation and are commanded to put it on, it is not something given in the Future...

When people terrorize us for our Faith, it is the evidence of their perdition but our Salvation, which we have now...

The preaching of the Cross, it is foolishness to the Lost, however to us who ARE already Saved, it is the Power of God...

We ARE Saved by the preaching of the Cross...

We who ARE Saved are a sweet smelling Savor to God...

By His Mercy He HAS Saved us...

All of these verses allude, point, or directly state that Salvation is something we now posses, it is already granted to us and not a Future Event. These verses must be included in ones ideal in what Salvation is, so while we can indeed find verses that speak of a continuing process ( which is called Sanctification) and an end point where Sanctification is perfected in the New Heavens and Earth for believers, we can not reject and ignore the fact that Salvation is still granted at the moment one is Born Again....
It is a complement to have had you give such a detailed response. I think you for that, and apologize as I don't have the time for a full blown point to point response, but the heart of the matter is how the following verses are interpreted. I will provide a comment to 3 of these. I will provide more as time permits.

1) Now is the day of Salvation...[2 Cor 6]
* This is a quote of the old testament about the liberation of God, freeing his covenant people of their opression. This is a slightly abstract and allegorical connection to the explanation Paul gives about "the ministry of reconcilliation" (2 Cor 5:20). This has to do with the idea that Christ has reconciled our broken relationship with God. It is a fresh start with God. (the new creation is a metaphor connecting the reestablishment of Corinth as a new settlement after it's complete destruction by Rome.

2) We hold in our possession NOW the Helmet of Salvation and are commanded to put it on, it is not something given in the Future...
* This is figurative speech for protecting the mind by focusing our thoughts on God's salvation. The goal of the passage is to express the need to: Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand [Eph 6:13]. The focus of the verse is not to give an explanation about the workings, causes or means of salvation. It appears as if you may have used a different passage or an assumption upon which to base your claim about the helmet being something we fully "possess" and use at will.

3) When people terrorize us for our Faith, it is the evidence of their perdition but our Salvation, which we have now...
* That appears to be a paraphrase of EPH 1:28 KJV? I would merely point to better translations of this verse which have the wording differently. A key point here is that the passage speaks of a "token" or a "sign" of the salvation. The token points to to things.... destruction... when is the destruction of persecutor? The answer can only be the same time frame for the salvation - it is the same token! (i.e. if the salvation is now, the destruction is now - these go hand in hand)

Dalit

Star
Hi, all. I've been following this forum for awhile and wonder if James 2:14-26 has been discussed. It probably has been, yet I see both sides of this discussion having recently left the, hate to say it, lukewarm Christian church in favor of a more Hebraic approach, which was something I never ever planned to do. It's going from not really fitting in to a ragtag group of people who love camping out in the heat of late September to celebrate Sukkot. You know what won me to this? Honestly, the joy and peace I see there that I did not see in 40 years of church and I tried everything. Any denomination of church is one I've been to. But I saw little real peace and joy there. I saw glimpses of it and even more every now and then, but mostly it feels like there's too much compromise and fitting in with the world. And, yeah, I read Zechariah and chapter 14, especially 14:16, hit me with this information--"Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, and to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles." I realized that I didn't know the feasts because the church never taught them because that's too Jewish?! Anyway, if we're to celebrate this in the New Jerusalem someday, maybe it was time for me to learn what it even is. Hope this isn't too rambling. Shalom and Todah.

Renegade

Veteran
Your salvation is between Jesus and you.

I'm just taking a hardline against sins.

Christians are compromising so i just give them a word of advice.

Not to be cruel but because i care.
The ONLY difference between you and the very worst sinner you could imagine is...Him...

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
The ONLY difference between you and the very worst sinner you could imagine is...Him...
Every sinner has a golden opportunity to stop sinning.

One is only deluding oneself and others if one think one can continue in sins.

Christians here and i use that term extremely loosely think it is enough to believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ and if they commit future sin it is forgiven and unrepentant sinners go to Heaven etc etc.

In other words in their minds all Christians are saved and some even say all mankind is saved.

I'm just a voice of reason among this kumbaya crowd. L0L

But i love them don't get me wrong dawg.

Am i the best ? Not necessarily. Am i the worst ? Not by a long shot.

Do i know what i'm talking about ? Absolutely !

phipps

Star
One of the reasons for Christ's Life and Death on Earth was to bring hope to sinful humanity so that we can have victory over sin and death both in our present lives and the eternal life to come (1 John 3:3; 4:4). We no longer have to be in bondage to sin.

If Jesus' death on the cross does not change our lives and our behaviour, then He died in vain. We must not just acknowledge His death; we must accept it and all its implications for us. It requires of us a change of life: "Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life...Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin" (Romans 6:4,6).

When we accept Christ's sacrifice in our stead, we are given a new lease on life. Old habits and the thoughts and attitudes that held us in bondage can be removed if we permit the grace of Christ to effect a change in our life. God desires to give us a better life—a life of joy, peace, and freedom from sin (2 Corinthians 5:17). Christ did not make the infinite sacrifice to secure for us the privilege of continuing to break the commandments of God. Sin is the transgression of the law, and the wages of sin is death (1 John 3:4; Romans 6:23)

The law is not meant to be a burden of heavy rules. It is the way of happiness. God does not say thou shalt not... because He wants to restrict our happiness and make life a drudgery. He tells us these rules because without them, we would truly be in misery. The endless pain and sorrow on this planet is a result of broken rules. If we learned to see God's guidelines as the door to happiness, we would be able to experience more joy and contentment.

To those who desire release from the bondage of sin, Jesus is the answer. Because He conquered death and sin in His life, death, and resurrection, we have hope and confidence that He can do the same in us.

Another reason for Christ's Life and Death on Earth was to identify with us and to help us trust Him with our problems.

Jesus took on the form of humanity so that no one can say that Jesus doesn’t understand. If God thought that we could get out from under the devil's torture in our own strength, He would not have sent His Son the way He did. If the Gospel is: “we sin, we die, we do right, we live,” then we could solve everything by our own good behaviour.

Instead, He was born to unmarried parents so He could relate to everyone conceived out of wedlock, born in a barn so He knows what it feels like to be poor, went to Egypt so He knows what culture shock and living as a refugee is like, and lived in Nazareth so that He experienced the ghettos. He hung nailed to a cross unable to move so He can tell what it feels like to be in agony, trapped and helpless. He knows what rejection is (Matthew 27:46). He felt the burden of the sin of our lives so we never have to wonder if there is anyone who knows how we feel. He made a choice to feel our pain, so we would be safe to share our pain with Him—so we can trust Him and know He cares.

Last edited:
Every sinner has a golden opportunity to stop sinning.

One is only deluding oneself and others if one think one can continue in sins.

Christians here and i use that term extremely loosely think it is enough to believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ and if they commit future sin it is forgiven and unrepentant sinners go to Heaven etc etc.

In other words in their minds all Christians are saved and some even say all mankind is saved.

I'm just a voice of reason among this kumbaya crowd. L0L

But i love them don't get me wrong dawg.

Am i the best ? Not necessarily. Am i the worst ? Not by a long shot.

Do i know what i'm talking about ? Absolutely !
When did you stop sinning?

“Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”.....James 4:17

“The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.”.......Proverbs 24:9

You sin and don’t even realize it.
Even having a foolish THOUGHT is a sin.

Have you brought EVERY thought of yours under submission of absolute holiness? Do you ALWAYS do & think ONLY what is right & pure?

You do not sin by omission?

You honestly believe you could stand before God——Who KNOWS your heart, your deepest thoughts, Who has seen your every action upon this earth, throughout your entire life——and can say with a straight face that you have not sinned?

You think yourself righteous but I suggest you look in a mirror & examine yourself and see if you are perfect. Without a single spot or blemish. Because THAT is what God demands.

It is not enough to be a “good” person. You must be FLAWLESS.

You are either a guilty sinner in need of a Saviour, or you are the Saviour Jesus Christ—who NEVER sinned. But you CANNOT be both.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

“Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”.....James 4:17

“The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination to men.”.......Proverbs 24:9

Have you brought EVERY thought of yours under submission of absolute holiness? Do you ALWAYS do & think ONLY what is right & pure?

You honestly believe you could stand before God——Who KNOWS your heart, your deepest thoughts, Who has seen your every action upon this earth, throughout your entire life——and can say with a straight face that you have not sinned?

You think yourself righteous but I suggest you look in a mirror & examine yourself and see if you are perfect. Without a single spot or blemish. Because THAT is what God demands.

You are either a guilty sinner in need of a Saviour, or you are the Saviour Jesus Christ—who NEVER sinned. But you CANNOT be both.
I am not flawless ;-)

TokiEl

Superstar

Either the Spirit of Jesus Christ changes you into a saint or you must ask Him for His spirit so He can change you into a saint.

1 John 3 4 "Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
That's nothing to be proud about. L0L
If I am tempted to imagine I have already arrived, I often come back to a couple of things...

Firstly, the fact that God knows our hearts better than we know our own, and that sins of the heart remain sins:-

Matthew 5

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Secondly, the incident with the Woman caught in adultery:-

John 8

3And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

Neither of these passages promote sin but both truly acknowledge it.

I can't see how you can survive the Christian life without understanding 1 John 1:9. It would a parent giving a child a bike for Christmas and telling them if they once fell off it it would be taken away forever!

TokiEl

Superstar
I can't see how you can survive the Christian life without understanding 1 John 1:9. It would a parent giving a child a bike for Christmas and telling them if they once fell off it it would be taken away forever!
With the Spirit of Jesus Christ that child would never fall off the bike.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
There is no condoning of sins.

Sure it can be a battle but with the Spirit of Jesus Christ we can overcome and not give in to sins.
Can you distinguish between the concept of not condoning sins, whilst acknowledging that scripture teaches that someone may be genuinely saved yet fall into sin, but later repent and carry on in their journey of faith.

I am not suggesting you go and sin. Perhaps you will appreciate this clip from Friends?

Do you disagree with this view?

TokiEl

Superstar
Can you distinguish between the concept of not condoning sins, whilst acknowledging that scripture teaches that someone may be genuinely saved yet fall into sin, but later repent and carry on in their journey of faith.

I am not suggesting you go and sin. Perhaps you will appreciate this clip from Friends?

Do you disagree with this view?
We are not to base our doctrine on an episode of Friends. L0L

1 John 3 4 "Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

Christian congregations are infested with sins... so excusing sins will not help. We must stand firm and reject it not only for ourselves but also for the onlookers.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
We are not to base our doctrine on an episode of Friends. L0L

Christian congregations are infested with sins... so excusing sins will not help. We must stand firm and reject it not only for ourselves but also for the onlookers.
OK, this time with no Friends clips ;-)

Question: "What does it mean that believers do not continue to sin (1 John 3:6; 5:18)?"

Answer:
In his first epistle, the apostle John deals with the assurance of our salvation: “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:13). Since he wants his readers to “know” they have eternal life, John provides a test of faith that we can use to examine whether or not we are truly saved.

In 1 John are various descriptions of the genuine believer. If a person knows Christ and is growing in grace, he or she will be generally marked by the following traits:

1. The believer enjoys fellowship with Christ and His redeemed people (1 John 1:3).
2. The believer walks in the light, not in the darkness (1 John 1:6–7).
3. The believer admits and confesses his sin (1 John 1:8).
4. The believer obeys God’s Word (1 John 2:3–5).
5. The believer loves God rather than the world (1 John 2:15).
6. The believer’s life is characterized by “doing what is right” (1 John 2:29).
7. The believer seeks to maintain a pure life (1 John 3:3).
8. The believer sees a decreasing pattern of sin in his life (1 John 3:5–6; 5:18).
9. The believer demonstrates love for other Christians (1 John 3:14).
10. The believer “walks the walk,” versus just “talking the talk” (1 John 3:18–19).
11. The believer maintains a clear conscience (1 John 3:21).
12. The believer experiences victory in his Christian walk (1 John 5:4).

Number 8 in the list above is that the believer will evince a decreasing pattern of sin in his or her life. Here is what John says:

“No one who lives in [Christ] keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him” (1 John 3:6)

and

“We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them” (1 John 5:18)

Some misinterpret these verses to mean that Christians can attain sinless perfection. After all, John says that “no one who lives in Him sins” (1 John 3:6, NASB) and that “no one who is born of God sins” (5:18, NASB). Based on those verses, they reason, sin must be a thing of the past. If you commit a sin, that’s proof that you are not saved, because Christians are sinless. But that is not what John is teaching.

We know that, when John writes that believers do not continue to sin, he is not referring to sinless perfection because of what he writes elsewhere in the same epistle. To believers John says, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8). So, we are all sinners, and we continue to struggle with sin even after we are saved. We will never know a total absence of sin until we are with the Lord in glory: “When Christ appears, we shall be like him” (1 John 3:2).

If John is not referring to sinless perfection, what does he mean that believers do not continue to sin? Very simply, he means that believers will not continue practicing sin as a way of life. There will be a difference between the old life without Christ and the new life in Christ. The thief who was characterized by his theft is a thief no more; he has a different way of life. The adulterer who was characterized by his immorality is an adulterer no more; his behavior patterns have changed. The child of God who was a former thief may still struggle with covetousness, but he no longer lives according to the pattern of stealing. The child of God who was a former adulterer may still struggle with lust, but he has broken free from the old life of immorality. “All who have this hope in [Christ] purify themselves, just as he is pure” (1 John 3:3).

The Amplified Bible brings out John’s meaning clearly:

“No one who abides in Him [who remains united in fellowship with Him—deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin. No one who habitually sins has seen Him or known Him” (1 John 3:6, AMP)

and

“We know [with confidence] that anyone born of God does not habitually sin; but He (Jesus) who was born of God [carefully] keeps and protects him, and the evil one does not touch him” (1 John 5:18, AMP)

The word habitually is key. A believer will struggle with sin and sometimes give in, but giving in to sin is no longer normative. As we grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord (see 2 Peter 3:18), we are being sanctified. As we are led by the Spirit, we will walk more and more in obedience to the Word of God.

If a person claims to be a Christian but lives in defiance of God’s Word, then that person is showing the world he or she is unsaved. No one who continues to live in willful sin knows God. Because continual sin is incompatible with new life in Christ, living in unrepentant homosexuality, idolatry, or falsehood is proof that no regenerative work of the Spirit has yet taken place in the heart, regardless of anyone’s claims to the contrary.

John gives us the reason why believers do not continue to sin: “No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God” (1 John 3:9). A genuine Christian will not “deliberately, knowingly, and habitually” sin. It’s just not in their “spiritual DNA.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/continue-to-sin.html

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@TokiEl

And a related concept:-

Question: "Is sinless perfection possible in this life?"

Answer:
Ephesians 4:13 says that the spiritual gifts are given to build up the body of Christ “until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.” Some translations say that we will become “perfect” (instead of “mature”), and from this some people have mistakenly thought that we can reach sinless perfection in this life. The Bible teaches that, while we are in the flesh, we will always struggle with a sin nature (see Romans 7:14–24). No one will be “perfect” (sinless) until we reach heaven.

The word translated “mature” in Ephesians 4:13 is the Greek word teleios. It is used throughout the New Testament to mean “perfect,” “complete,” “full-grown,” and “mature.” What Ephesians 4:13 teaches is that, the more we grow in Christ, the stronger and more unified we will be as a church. The verse does not teach that we will stop sinning.

Another passage that people sometimes get confused about is Colossians 1:28, which says, in some translations, that Paul wants to “present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.” Also, in Colossians 4:12 Paul prays that we would “stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.” In both verses, the Greek word for perfect should be understood to mean “mature” or “full-grown,” not “having no sin.”

As human beings we are bound under Adam’s nature in this world. No matter how hard we try not to, we will still sin against God. This holds true for everyone. The apostle Paul rebuked Peter for showing favoritism (Galatians 2:11–13). Late in his ministry, Paul calls himself the chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). Peter, James, John, and Paul all admitted that they were imperfect. How could you or I claim anything different?

True perfection will not come until the rapture of the church, when we rise to meet Jesus in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:17). At that time the dead in Christ will be resurrected, and the bodies of the living will be changed (Philippians 3:20, 21; 1 Corinthians 15:54). We will stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:10) where our works will be judged and rewards will be given (1 Corinthians 3:9–15). Our redemption will be complete, and our sin will be gone forever. We will live and reign with Christ in sinless perfection forever.

https://www.gotquestions.org/sinless-perfection.html

TokiEl

Superstar
Some misinterpret these verses to mean that Christians can attain sinless perfection. After all, John says that “no one who lives in Him sins” (1 John 3:6, NASB) and that “no one who is born of God sins” (5:18, NASB). Based on those verses, they reason, sin must be a thing of the past. If you commit a sin, that’s proof that you are not saved, because Christians are sinless. But that is not what John is teaching.
But that is exactly what John is teaching.

Since the Spirit of Jesus Christ has taken up residence within our body... it is impossible to sin.

Sure there might be struggle but we overcome every time.

Not because of ourselves but because of Him who is in us.

We know that, when John writes that believers do not continue to sin, he is not referring to sinless perfection because of what he writes elsewhere in the same epistle. To believers John says, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8). So, we are all sinners, and we continue to struggle with sin even after we are saved. We will never know a total absence of sin until we are with the Lord in glory: “When Christ appears, we shall be like him” (1 John 3:2).
If we claim to be without sin before the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin we lie. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. In other words we were all sinners before we came to Jesus Christ and His spirit took up residence within us.

Now we sin no more. We might struggle and sweat but we do not give in to sin. We simply do not break the Ten Commandments. We are the totally trustworthy and untouchables.

With the Spirit of Jesus Christ that child would never fall off the bike.
We have the Holy Spirit but we are housed in a body of flesh that is stained by sin.

That is why we are told to crucify our flesh daily, because that is why we still sin. Salvation does not perfect our flesh, it means we believe that Jesus paid the punishment we deserve for those sins——past , present & future.

Nobody who is saved condones sin. You seem to think that is what we are saying, but it is NOT.

Sin is grievous, and sorrowful. There is no joy in sin.

Why can you not understand that admitting our sin nature does not mean we are boasting as if it is something good?

We recognize our sinfulness and to realize that we are absolutely unworthy of salvation takes humility. That is the opposite of pride.

We are just thankful that the righteousness of Christ is enough to cover ALL of our sins & God’s grace abounds where even our best efforts fall short.

There is NO glory of our own to speak of. ALL glory goes to God for His grace, and mercy , and His amazing love for us which surpasses even our own understanding.

TokiEl

Superstar
We have the Holy Spirit but we are housed in a body of flesh that is stained by sin.

That is why we are told to crucify our flesh daily, because that is why we still sin. Salvation does not perfect our flesh, it means we believe that Jesus paid the punishment we deserve for those sins——past , present & future.

Nobody who is saved condones sin. You seem to think that is what we are saying, but it is NOT.

Sin is grievous, and sorrowful. There is no joy in sin.

Why can you not understand that admitting our sin nature does not mean we are boasting as if it is something good?

We recognize our sinfulness and to realize that we are absolutely unworthy of salvation takes humility. That is the opposite of pride.

We are just thankful that the righteousness of Christ is enough to cover ALL of our sins & God’s grace abounds where even our best efforts fall short.

There is NO glory of our own to speak of. ALL glory goes to God for His grace, and mercy , and His amazing love for us which surpasses even our own understanding.
Jesus Christ who ratified the Ten Commandments with His blood will see to it that those who are His do not break them.