Ocasio-Cortez: People Maybe Shouldn’t Reproduce Due To Climate Change

justjess

Superstar
Why? I posted an entire breakdown of that earlier in the thread. The same post I point blank said you clearly never read already.

I also never said I supported or was in favor of Obamacare. We need to fix our healthcare situation and I never believed the ridiculous compromise that was Obamacare was the answer.

"The world is gonna end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change," Ocasio-Cortez said.

Twelve years, people!!
She said it probably because of the UN:

“A TERRIFYING 12 YEARS”
In October 2018, 15 months after Jirinec’s words brought me to tears in the Amazon, the world’s leading climate scientists authored a report for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warning us that we have just a dozen years left to limit the catastrophic impacts of climate change. The gist of it is this: We’ve already warmed the planet one degree Celsius. If we fail to limit that warming process to 1.5 degrees, even a half-degree more than that will significantly worsen extreme heat, flooding, widespread droughts, and sea-level increases, among other grim phenomena. The report has become a key talking point of political progressives in the United States, who, like journalist and activist Naomi Klein, are now speaking of “a terrifying 12 years” left in which to cut fossil-fuel emissions.

https://www.thenation.com/article/climate-disaster-is-upon-us/

Karlysymon

Superstar
The NHS aside, I don’t think austerity is a legitimate reason to discredit socialized medicine.

With Venezuela trending in the news lately (empty grocery stores, hospitals et al), I found myself recalling the images coming out of Greek hospitals afew years ago. There was no imminent invasion over that….maybe there was….in the form of the TROIKA causing the crisis in the first place but I digress…..
The point being: austerity just creates hard times and in the case of Greece and the PIIGS, the question is, was their socialized medical system bad enough and further worsened by austerity or was it good but then ruined by austerity (tightened purse strings, lack of jobs and brain drain)?
I have friends from all over who have left their home countries to move to the states solely for better healthcare.
In the end, with a significantly shrinking middle class, what’s the point of a great capitalist healthcare system when the bulk of the population can’t afford it? It just looks like a nice and easy way to kill/cull people (serfs, at one point who were middle class) off.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
I’ll never understand why people can’t argue their opinion without being hateful assholes. Any value the argument may have had is just lost. Someone like the head of Greenpeace should be above that..

It’s worth noting he’s also currently feuding with and anti Greenpeace so I’m not sure his association with them should even be noted here, and he’s a nuclear advocate.

There’s nothing wrong with aiming to end use of fossil fuels, we all know how terrible they are and there are plenty of alternatives we could be using instead.

Also, there are responsible ways to use wood that don’t require “cutting down every tree on earth” - sustainable harvesting, cut one/plant one etc.

He’s just as hysterical as he is accusing her of being.

When your negotiating isn’t it the rule to always aim high to leave room for compromise?

Thunderian

Superstar
Jess, if you don't know all that much about Ocasio-Cortez, why are you defending her against all comers?

People on both sides agree that she's clueless, and that her solutions to problems are expensive and unworkable. What makes you so sure she's right and everyone's wrong?

justjess

Superstar
I am not sure she’s right, I do generally agree with the majority of her platform. I agree people need living wages, access to steady jobs that pay a living wage and benefits, that healthcare is a right, that we should move away from fossil fuels etc etc.

I think she is brand new and I think that she is being unprecedently harassed and maligned by the other side of the ideological table due to her age, race, and sex. No one expects any other politician to have all the answers, they aren’t experts in their fields they are representatives of the people’s interests. Every other representative gets to propose something and let the actual experts iron out the details and specifics. Not her. It’s frustrating.

I know enough about her. No I don’t know every single thing she has said or proposed, I have a life after all.

Why are you asking me personal questions instead of addressing the substance of my post? Avoiding the substance of posts seems to be a habit for some of you. Nothing I even said above hinges on any knowledge of her anyway.

No, it's her ignorance, arrogance and power hungry statements that are earning her criticism from ALL sides. Blaming this on age, race, and sex is wrong and playing the cheap victim card. If she's not mature and wise enough to handle the position she has put herself in - and she's not - then she should be responsible and step down.
She’s proven she’s smarter than most of the men in Congress. Her questioning of witnesses at hearings is pretty substantial.

Now what’s ignorant is the guy who runs the country and says windmills cause cancer and can’t pronounce the word “origins”, who has shown he is not mature or wise enough for the office he has put himself in and should step down.

Thunderian

Superstar
That guy was not a co-founder if Greenpeace, hasn’t been affiliated with them for decades and has been a paid lobbyist for Nuclear Energy corporations.
You're right, he wasn't a co founder. He was part of the inner circle almost from the beginning, and he was president of Greenpeace Canada. He may not be as ideologically pure as you would like, but you can't fault his credentials as an environmental expert.

There's nothing wrong with nuclear energy. It's the cheapest and cleanest energy source we know of, and could dramatically reduce our use of fuels like coal and oil.

You're right, he wasn't a co founder. He was part of the inner circle almost from the beginning, and he was president of Greenpeace Canada. He may not be as ideologically pure as you would like, but you can't fault his credentials as an environmental expert.

There's nothing wrong with nuclear energy. It's the cheapest and cleanest energy source we know of, and could dramatically reduce our use of fuels like coal and oil.

Holy crap it is the same guy!

Whatever man, the point is he grossly overstates his relationship to Greenpeace ( and downplays his role as corporate lobbyist) and is a blatant distortion by you and Fox and Breitbart to dishonestly smear AOC.

https://www.desmogblog.com/patrick-moore

No I disagree that nuclear energy is safe, we could go back and forth all day providing information that would get us no where.