Not everything that is described by the Bible is PRESCRIBED by the Bible!

fotw

Established
Matthew
19:3 The politicians also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that He which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female,
19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

1 Corinthians
7:2 Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Last edited:
1) IF a man of God does it, then it justifies us all doing it. We tend to follow each other, if someone else is doing it then why shouldnt i? Abraham was polygamous. and God blessed his son Ismael.

2) Deuteronomy 17:17, he quoted it out of context
14 When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you and have taken possession of it and settled in it, and you say, “Let us set a king over us like all the nations around us,” 15 be sure to appoint over you a king the Lord your God chooses. He must be from among your fellow Israelites. Do not place a foreigner over you, one who is not an Israelite.
16 The king, moreover, must not acquire great numbers of horses for himself or make the people return to Egypt to get more of them, for the Lord has told you, “You are not to go back that way again.”
17 He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray. He must not accumulate large amounts of silver and gold.

it isnt arguing for monogamy no more than it's arguing to have very little money, it is simply saying the king shouldnt be trying to accumulate wordly things excessively.

fotw

Established
Either way, I would be careful not to have more than one wife so not to be led astray. There seems to be a clear distinction in KJV from multiply wives to greatly multiply silver and gold. Same distinction with NIV, many wives to large amounts of silver and gold. Seems râbâh by itself could mean to not increase, enlarge, excell in any respect. If I was an Isrealite King, descendent of Jacob, I would be a bit more careful not to have more than one wife, no matter what Abraham did. I think God would know better than Abraham. Seems to be more of a command rather than a suggestion.

KJV: Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

NIV: He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray. He must not accumulate large amounts of silver and gold.

Strong
KJV: NeitherH3808 shall he multiplyH7235 wivesH802 to himself, that his heartH3824 turn not away:H5493 H3808 neitherH3808 shall he greatlyH3966 multiplyH7235 to himself silverH3701 and gold.H2091

multiply
H7235 רָבָה
râbâh
raw-baw'

A primitive root; to increase (in whatever respect): - [bring in] abundance (X -antly), + archer [by mistake for H7232], be in authority, bring up, X continue, enlarge, excel, exceeding (-ly), be full of, (be, make) great (-er, -ly), X -ness), grow up, heap, increase, be long, (be, give, have, make, use) many (a time), (any, be, give, give the, have) more (in number), (ask, be, be so, gather, over, take, yield) much (greater, more), (make to) multiply, nourish, plenty (-eous), X process [of time], sore, store, thoroughly, very.

Laws Concerning Israel's Kings

Deu 17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
Deu 17:15 Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.
Deu 17:16 But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
Deu 17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
Deu 17:18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:
Deu 17:19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
Deu 17:20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

Bubbajay

Veteran
I thought this was a good point well made!

I agree. God made one man and one woman, if God intended for man to have several wives he'd have created several for Adam from the start. Just because prominent men in the bible had several wives doesn't mean its the will of God. Man has always went about doing what he thought was right in his own eyes. There's no condemnation of it in the OT, but that doesn't mean it was right.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Deu 17:20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.
I think abundance (and taking more than your share by virtue of position) of all sorts, be it wealth or wives is cautioned against. It would appear that the norm was neither To have excess wealth or multiple wives.

People sometimes try to attack the Bible because it contains accounts of flawed characters. This always seems odd to me as even a few years of being aware of the news will reveal the spectrum of human frailty in ways many recoil and try to insulate themselves from.

fotw

Established
This is a no brainer. All we need to do is look at all the examples, starting with the first. Adam couldn't even handle Eve, let alone a second wife.

It would not have gone well for Abraham and his family if God had not stepped in to protect Hagar and Ishmael. A difficult thing for a woman to have to deal with being sent out into the wilderness with child.

God Protects Hagar and Ishmael

Gen 21:8 And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.
Gen 21:9 And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
Gen 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
Gen 21:11 And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.
Gen 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Gen 21:13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.
Gen 21:14 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba.

As if King David didn't have enough wives already. David couldn't help but to look at the wife of Uriah, Bathsheba ended up being his eighth wife. His temptation led him to do a terrible thing to Uriah. One bad idea after another. I'm not going to bother getting into Solomon as we all know what happened.

David and Bathsheba

Samuel 2

2Sa 11:1 And it came to pass, after the year was expired, at the time when kings go forth to battle, that David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed the children of Ammon, and besieged Rabbah. But David tarried still at Jerusalem.
2Sa 11:2 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon.
2Sa 11:3 And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?
2Sa 11:4 And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house.
2Sa 11:5 And the woman conceived, and sent and told David, and said, I am with child.
2Sa 11:6 And David sent to Joab, saying, Send me Uriah the Hittite. And Joab sent Uriah to David.
2Sa 11:7 And when Uriah was come unto him, David demanded of him how Joab did, and how the people did, and how the war prospered.
2Sa 11:8 And David said to Uriah, Go down to thy house, and wash thy feet. And Uriah departed out of the king's house, and there followed him a mess of meat from the king.
2Sa 11:9 But Uriah slept at the door of the king's house with all the servants of his lord, and went not down to his house.
2Sa 11:10 And when they had told David, saying, Uriah went not down unto his house, David said unto Uriah, Camest thou not from thy journey? why then didst thou not go down unto thine house?
2Sa 11:11 And Uriah said unto David, The ark, and Israel, and Judah, abide in tents; and my lord Joab, and the servants of my lord, are encamped in the open fields; shall I then go into mine house, to eat and to drink, and to lie with my wife? as thou livest, and as thy soul liveth, I will not do this thing.
2Sa 11:12 And David said to Uriah, Tarry here to day also, and to morrow I will let thee depart. So Uriah abode in Jerusalem that day, and the morrow.
2Sa 11:13 And when David had called him, he did eat and drink before him; and he made him drunk: and at even he went out to lie on his bed with the servants of his lord, but went not down to his house.
2Sa 11:14 And it came to pass in the morning, that David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah.
2Sa 11:15 And he wrote in the letter, saying, Set ye Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die.
2Sa 11:16 And it came to pass, when Joab observed the city, that he assigned Uriah unto a place where he knew that valiant men were.
2Sa 11:17 And the men of the city went out, and fought with Joab: and there fell some of the people of the servants of David; and Uriah the Hittite died also.
2Sa 11:18 Then Joab sent and told David all the things concerning the war;
2Sa 11:19 And charged the messenger, saying, When thou hast made an end of telling the matters of the war unto the king,
2Sa 11:20 And if so be that the king's wrath arise, and he say unto thee, Wherefore approached ye so nigh unto the city when ye did fight? knew ye not that they would shoot from the wall?
2Sa 11:21 Who smote Abimelech the son of Jerubbesheth? did not a woman cast a piece of a millstone upon him from the wall, that he died in Thebez? why went ye nigh the wall? then say thou, Thy servant Uriah the Hittite is dead also.
2Sa 11:22 So the messenger went, and came and shewed David all that Joab had sent him for.
2Sa 11:23 And the messenger said unto David, Surely the men prevailed against us, and came out unto us into the field, and we were upon them even unto the entering of the gate.
2Sa 11:24 And the shooters shot from off the wall upon thy servants; and some of the king's servants be dead, and thy servant Uriah the Hittite is dead also.
2Sa 11:25 Then David said unto the messenger, Thus shalt thou say unto Joab, Let not this thing displease thee, for the sword devoureth one as well as another: make thy battle more strong against the city, and overthrow it: and encourage thou him.
2Sa 11:26 And when the wife of Uriah heard that Uriah her husband was dead, she mourned for her husband.
2Sa 11:27 And when the mourning was past, David sent and fetched her to his house, and she became his wife, and bare him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.

Last edited:

Bubbajay

Veteran
I think abundance (and taking more than your share by virtue of position) of all sorts, be it wealth or wives is cautioned against. It would appear that the norm was neither To have excess wealth or multiple wives.

People sometimes try to attack the Bible because it contains accounts of flawed characters. This always seems odd to me as even a few years of being aware of the news will reveal the spectrum of human frailty in ways many recoil and try to insulate themselves from.
Even the most righteous bible characters had flaws as all men do, its to show that even the best of men are sinners and need a savior.

fotw

Established
And that disobedience to God always brings consequences... The consequences of disobedience are clear throughout Scripture from the book of Genesis to Revelation. Today we're witnessing how people's lives are being destroyed through sinful activities, crime and immorality. This is one of the reasons why our Savior said to keep his Commandments.

John
14:15 If ye love me, KEEP my COMMANDments.
14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
14:17 [Even] the Spirit of Truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I Live, ye shall live also.
14:20 At that day ye shall know that I [am] in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
14:21 He that hath my COMMANDments, and KEEPETH them, HE it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
14:22 Jude saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will obey my words: and my Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
14:24 He that loveth me not obeyeth not my sayings: and the Truth which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
14:25 These things have I spoken unto you, being [yet] present with you.
14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come [again] unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
14:29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.
14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath NOTHING in me (no influence).
14:31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

15:1 I am the True Vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit He taketh away: and every [branch] that beareth fruit, He pruneth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
15:3 Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you.
15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.
15:7 If ye abide in me, and MY Words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you (if it be God's Will).
15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
15:10 IF ye keep my COMMANDments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love.
15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and [that] your joy might be full.
15:12 This is my COMMANDment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his "Self" life for his friends.
15:14 Ye are my friends, IF ye DO whatsoever I command you.
15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, He may give it you.
15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it HATED me before [it hated] you.
15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world HATETH you.
15:20 Remember the Truth that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they WILL also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
15:21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not Him that sent me.
15:22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
15:23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and HATED both me and my Father.
15:25 But [this cometh to pass], that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their Law, They HATED me without a cause.
15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of Truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
15:27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

16:1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
16:2 They shall put you out of the churches: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
16:3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not KNOWN the Father, nor me.
16:4 But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.
16:5 But now I go my way to Him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Where goest thou?
16:6 But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the Truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
16:9 Of sin, because they believe not me;
16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide you into all Truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.
16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.
16:16 A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father.

Last edited: