Non-GMO foods

skycoaster

Rookie
I have been having some GMO-free food for some time, I reckon I wasn't fully aware of what effects it can have on your body until I got sick over the past year or so, I was shocked to find out that most of the food people are eating are now GMO, at very least I was able to find some breakfast cereals and snacks, being that I'm not usually into big meals, I'm fine with it anyway, of course it might work differently for everyone.

kittybratxx

Established
i was shocked when i found a packet of crisps in lidl that said no genetically modified ingredients.. it literally made me soo happy lol

polymoog

Superstar
if one is new to this information, avoid the following, as it is almost all GMO in the US:
- soy
-canola/"vegetable oil"
-sugar (beet sugar-- cane sugar is ok)
- corn
- milk/dairy (feed for the cows is often soy (which isnt good for the cows in the first place, but it jacks up the milk production)
- papaya (grown in hawaii)
- farm raised salmon (some-- just avoid it anyway due to the high levels of antibiotics in the food

although the wheat in the US may be non-GMO, that is not good enough. if it isnt organic wheat, i would recommend you NOT consume it. the reason is that these grains are being sprayed with glyphosphate/roundup. the spraying process, for the agrobusiness, results in about a 16% extra yield on their production. when the glyphosphate is sprayed on it, it kills the wheat and in a last ditch effort, the plant sends a boost of energy into seed production. so although the production for the agribiz benefits, the highly toxic glyphosphate remains on the grain for the consumer, resulting in future health problems. of course, it can still be labeled as "non-GMO".

organic is not 100% safe, either (plenty of pesticides and chemicals are permitted under the organic label, not to mention that the organic verification system could be corrupted and/or they might not catch businesses that are cheating), but at present, its the best option if you arent growing your own food.

avoid all food that has been genetically engineered and you are safe.
youll also want to avoid olive oil that is not organic-- i read a report where supposedly extra virgin olive oil was being cut with soy and canola. the organic was found not to be tainted. to be 100% safe, just use unrefined coconut oil. better for you, anyway.

this was all discussed in an earlier post in more depth-- do a message board keyword search and look it up for further info.