News article: what a waist- why the corset has made a regrettable return

Dalit

Star
Spoiler: blames Kardashians family. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/27/corset-regrettable-return-mothercare-waist-training

It is a good article and got me wondering when did this back to the corset devolution occur.
Was it already happening before Kardashian family made the corset "essential" or did that family recreate this terrible fad all by themselves?
Good quote here:

"That the Kardashians are the prime drivers, she adds, “doesn’t sit well with me. The Kardashian industry is built on the performance of femininity, where they present as hyperfeminised and hypersexualised. It’s all about appearance, and the normalisation of cosmetic surgery within that family means that they’re presenting an idea of femininity and making money out of the unachievable bodies they have crafted for themselves.”

No one with any sense would want to imitate the Kardashians, who are a bunch of hypersexualised morons.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Spoiler: blames Kardashians family. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/27/corset-regrettable-return-mothercare-waist-training

It is a good article and got me wondering when did this back to the corset devolution occur.
Was it already happening before Kardashian family made the corset "essential" or did that family recreate this terrible fad all by themselves?
In an interview, Jessica Alba said that she uses a corset after giving birth but your OP reminded me of this:
The Business of Big Bottoms

“Everyone wants to look like Kim Kardashian, not Kate Moss. Curves, not bones.” Which sounded like a positive development, a move away from disordered eating and dangerous attempts at control, until they pointed out that it also requires a tiny waist. You can starve yourself bony, but “the sexy body is much more unattainable”.

JoChris

Superstar
In an interview, Jessica Alba said that she uses a corset after giving birth but your OP reminded me of this:
The Business of Big Bottoms

“Everyone wants to look like Kim Kardashian, not Kate Moss. Curves, not bones.” Which sounded like a positive development, a move away from disordered eating and dangerous attempts at control, until they pointed out that it also requires a tiny waist. You can starve yourself bony, but “the sexy body is much more unattainable”.
I am sure a loose fitting corset might help some women to lose weight post-childbirth because they would be less likely to overeat (very easy to do when sleep-deprived!!). Improved posture could help some women to appear slimmer in the waist as well.

The Kardashians all look unnatural. They all look like brunette version of barbie doll figures and faces.
No-one without a huge amount of $$$ and time for physical trainers could ever hope to achieve that type of look - not even the Kardashians.

They have to be the best women out there for first developing/ modelling a "must-have" beauty trend to young women and then selling the product they claim to have invented. I have to admit grudging admiration for their business saviness.

Scars512

Established
The song was good but some of the images really made me think we have gone backwards in time if women are willing to literally suffer physical pain to appeal to men again.
I honestly don't think women do it to appeal to men. These days it is much more about likes and followers, etc. And, in truth, women have always dressed and styled themselves more for other women. And I don't mean in a lesbian way. I mean they do it to be envied by other women. Men rarely notice clothing or particular hairstyles or make up. They know if they find you attractive, but they don't pay attention to the details -- like accessories or shoes. Other women do. It is part of this weird competitive thing that women do. Maybe part of it is our inherent biology -- preening to attract the best mate, but most of it is a social construct that has us trying to outdo one another and to be the one that others emulate. Men do this more with money and possessions rather than their bodies. Of course, this is a generalization and not true of every man and woman -- but just what I've noticed is the norm over the course of my lifetime, nearly half a century now.

manama

Star
Many women have been wearing corsets before it hit the mainstream anyway. Its not even about men, some just find it attractive.