New YouTube series: Islamicize me

JoChris

Superstar
I am surprised not to see any mention of this series. It has caused controversy amongst Christian apologists. IMO old school versus internet generation. Polite debate versus South Park style material.

Summary: scenario is that 3 young Christian men decide to take up the challenge to follow the words of Islam's founder. Over 30 days they obey commandments literally. They become more and more fanatical as a result. I give it an A+ grade.

There is a real story behind it as well unfortunately. Watching the group's long desconstruction discussions is worth the effort if people have the time. E.g. on exercise equipment.

Thunderian

Superstar
I just watched episode one and found it a bit tasteless, but the concept intrigues me and I'm going to watch at least a couple more.

I am also now wondering if Muslim men sit down to pee, but I am afraid to ask one.

JoChris

Superstar
I just watched episode one and found it a bit tasteless, but the concept intrigues me and I'm going to watch at least a couple more.

I am also now wondering if Muslim men sit down to pee, but I am afraid to ask one.
That is why I mentioned South Park above video. If you are offended by South Park you might get offended by several videos e.g. breastfeeding one half way through series.

Thunderian

Superstar
I didn't mean it was bad tasteless. :)

South Park is the funniest show of all time.

JoChris

Superstar
I didn't mean it was bad tasteless. :)

South Park is the funniest show of all time.
Then you will like the series too. An interesting way for evangelists to approach Islam's teachings by looking at their "prophet" Muhammad himself + teachings, not defending the bible as usual.

If Muhammad truly supplied the inspired word of Allah then he/ the Q'uran should survive scrutiny by non-Muslims.

Bacsi

Star
I am surprised not to see any mention of this series. It has caused controversy amongst Christian apologists. IMO old school versus internet generation. Polite debate versus South Park style material.

Summary: scenario is that 3 young Christian men decide to take up the challenge to follow the words of Islam's founder. Over 30 days they obey commandments literally. They become more and more fanatical as a result. I give it an A+ grade.

There is a real story behind it as well unfortunately. Watching the group's long desconstruction discussions is worth the effort if people have the time. E.g. on exercise equipment.
This is not effective. Not many views, and the contents is so-so. The view presented in the videos is a caricature, not addressing the reality today. It's focused on a very primitive and incorrect picture of the religion. Distorted, taken out of context etc. The same way about Christianity, they can make a video laughing at the commandment to cut off woman's arm if she snatches husband's private parts during a street fight, or advice to drink wine in case of digestive issues. Things of that sort. It's not serving any real purpose.

Thunderian

Superstar
This is not effective. Not many views, and the contents is so-so. The view presented in the videos is a caricature, not addressing the reality today. It's focused on a very primitive and incorrect picture of the religion. Distorted, taken out of context etc. The same way about Christianity, they can make a video laughing at the commandment to cut off woman's arm if she snatches husband's private parts during a street fight, or advice to drink wine in case of digestive issues. Things of that sort. It's not serving any real purpose.
I have to confess, I have a lot of questions about some of the verses in these videos. If you ask a Christian about verses in the Bible that may seem strange, you will probably learn about the verse and where it fits into Christian faith today. We know that not every verse in the Bible is applicable for everyone and at every time, but I don't know that the Quran is the same way.

So I wonder if Muslims would take some time to address the verses in the videos and tell us how applicable they are to today's followers of Islam.

Serveto

Star
I know the videos are stupid, but I would enjoy hearing the Muslim side of things.
Not all of Mrs. Betty Bowers's videos are stupid. Some of them are actually rather funny (and I think it's a Canadian poking fun at Christian fundamentalists). But I am cautious with religious parody, because, even though I am not a doctrinal Christian, I don't want to be found "sitting in the seat of the scornful." In fact, I quit even watching Saturday Night Live because, at times, I found it too full of scorn, presented as comedy. I also saw South Park mocking Jesus Christ, or seeming to, and permanently unplugged my t.v. years ago. Call me sensitive, sometimes, and believe it or not.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
On the contraire. I doubt very much if you have watched the whole series in such a short time either.

The videos have had many views for its genre. The oldest one is only been on there for approx 5 weeks. Christian apologetics YouTube videos will only have a tiny fraction of "Gangnam style" variety videos.
Christians do know the difference between Old Testament and New Testament, history and commandments.

BACK ON TOPIC. Can **Muslims** and/ orsupporters of Muslims demonstrate the same ability with Islam's holy texts, showing if the words of Muhammad are infallible or not?

JoChris

Superstar
Not all of Mrs. Betty Bowers's videos are stupid. Some of them are actually rather funny (and I think it's a Canadian poking fun at Christian fundamentalists). But I am cautious with religious parody, because, even though I am not a doctrinal Christian, I don't want to be found "sitting in the seat of the scornful." In fact, I quit even watching Saturday Night Live because, at times, I found it too full of scorn, presented as comedy. I also saw South Park mocking Jesus Christ, or seeming to, and permanently unplugged my t.v. years ago. Call me sensitive, sometimes, and believe it or not.
Fear of offending people (and therefore preventing them from coming to Christ) is what Dr. James White (Alpha and Omega Ministries) and Dr. Wood (one wearing glasses in team) are in disagreement about online. In last episodes Dr. White's videos are quoted a little.

Dr. White shares your concerns. He does very polite debates with Muslim scholars and so he doesn't want to offend them, be uninvited to their mosques etc. Dr Wood and Co. deal with the average, young generation Muslim on the street who dismiss christian teachings reflexively. IMO their method is right for their own demographics.

Serveto

Star
Fear of offending people (and therefore preventing them from coming to Christ) is what Dr. James White (Alpha and Omega Ministries) and Dr. Wood (one wearing glasses in team) are in disagreement about online. In last episodes Dr. White's videos are quoted a little.

Dr. White shares your concerns. He does very polite debates with Muslim scholars and so he doesn't want to offend them, be uninvited to their mosques etc. Dr Wood and Co. deal with the average, young generation Muslim on the street who dismiss christian teachings reflexively. IMO their method is right for their own demographics.
I only watched the video you posted above. I thought it was silly; the guy who played the Muslim had a bad accent; and there was really very little within it to engage productive discussion. If you want to recommend another one, considered generally more reflective of the type of acceptable, even hard-hitting (I'm not squeamish) Christian apologetics you prefer, I would watch and maybe comment. Welcome back, by the way.

JoChris

Superstar
I only watched the video you posted above. I thought it was silly; the guy who played the Muslim had a bad accent; and there was really very little within it to engage productive discussion. If you want to recommend another one, considered generally more reflective of the type of acceptable, even hard-hitting (I'm not squeamish) Christian apologetics you prefer, I would watch and maybe comment. Welcome back, by the way.
If you were a Muslim, via the words you type I wouldn't give these video links to you first. You communicate like a thinker. These semi-comedy videos are for Muslims who mindlessly believe Islam and Muhammad. Mocking people can be an effective way to wake them up IF done well.

Last edited:

Bacsi

Star
On the contraire. I doubt very much if you have watched the whole series in such a short time either.

The videos have had many views for its genre. The oldest one is only been on there for approx 5 weeks. Christian apologetics YouTube videos will only have a tiny fraction of "Gangnam style" variety videos.
Christians do know the difference between Old Testament and New Testament, history and commandments.

BACK ON TOPIC. Can **Muslims** and/ orsupporters of Muslims demonstrate the same ability with Islam's holy texts, showing if the words of Muhammad are infallible or not?
You overrate the videos and their views and underestimate my ability to scroll through short vids and get the idea :) They really make them long and boring. Couple clicks and I know exactly what they're mocking in each vid.

They think it's funny, but in fact they're not smart, because they distort or misrepresent everything.