new Poppy video

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
She's probably been created as the next Lady Gaga, same target audience, same intentions, same methods.
True, but just as B. Spears paved the way for C. Aguilera who paved the way for the Cheetah Girls who paved the way for H. Duff who paved the way for Gomez and etc...... Its just societal conditioning via a farm method similar to Major League baseball. There is a seemingly endless supply of talent whom are brought up through a specific system as prospects. Once they are fully immersed and proven in the children's side of the Hollywood/entertainment industry machine, they are called up to the Majors to be used in succession as battering rams purposed to destroy not only children and their childhoods, but also how adults view and interact children. This process is extremely difficult to endure which leads to a short shelf life of careers. Thats fine with their masters because it explains in-part the constant, voracious enlargement of the talent/victim pool in order to replace defective models.

The culmination of this process thus far has been the "career" of M. Cyrus. She has been used in a very specific agenda to push for very specific responses from her underaged fanbase and the adults who view her material as well. M. Cyrus/Poppy/B. Elish and etc. are products, plain and simple. Their agenda isnt exactly hidden at this point either so its difficult to defend this media with any other excuse than "Well I can recognize that its wrong and negative, but for whatever reasons of my own Im going to be a part of it."

They are not artists producing art, they are products whom emit controlled, agenda compliant packages for mass consumption.

mecca

Superstar
I just don't see the average 12 year old girl seeing the irony of it to be honest Yes it's over the top but at the same time it also allows morally corrupt characters to be influencing one hell of a large audience.

Would you be happy letting your young teenage daughter be a fan of that? I don't see any type of positive role model here at all.
Who said this was for 12 year olds? I don't think this song was made for that demographic, but 12 year olds are not stupid... young people are easily capable of seeing humor in the video because of the obviously conflicting imagery and music. You know children think everything is funny, especially randomness like this video.

Since when was Poppy supposed to be a role model? Poppy is an exaggerated characterization of a pop star, her music and videos are for entertainment, not emulation or glorification. I don't know who would see her as a role model... she's not even a real person, she's a character... a funny YouTube phenomenon. And I don't think anyone is taking away any moral lessons, positive or negative, from this video.

If I had a young teenage child (girl or boy) and they saw the video and thought it was funny, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it... because the video is a joke... it's not serious and no one should take it seriously. I would trust my child to know that Poppy is obviously just a character. If they found that character amusing, that's fine with me. They are not being corrupted by laughing at a stupid video for a few minutes.

Awoken2

Superstar
Who said this was for 12 year olds? I don't think this song was made for that demographic,
I did, she is aimed at a demographic of between 8 to 18, hence the.appearance. Are you suggesting that this is marketed at an audience of astute adults with a sick sense of humour? In that case, and if her viewing figures are to be believed, then society is well and truly f*cked.

but 12 year olds are not stupid... young people are easily capable of seeing humor in the video because of the obviously conflicting imagery and music. You know children think everything is funny, especially randomness like this video.
The "funny" charachter she plays in the video is quite clearly based on the film Carrie, that film is 41 years old so the chances are the vast majority of her fans would never even have seen the film, so there's no reference point to make the humorous connection is there? Or are you suggesting that the video is aimed at people in their 50's who have watched the film Carrie?

Since when was Poppy supposed to be a role model? Poppy is an exaggerated characterization of a pop star, her music and videos are for entertainment, not emulation or glorification. I don't know who would see her as a role model... she's not even a real person, she's a character... a funny YouTube phenomenon. And I don't think anyone is taking away any moral lessons, positive or negative, from this video.
Her main objective is not to entertain but to try and shock and your argument is that all fans of her output are able to discern that it's all a bit of a joke. It's the same as having a known p*dophile stood outside your local school gates every morning with his c*ck hanging out of his trousers...but he's decorated his c*ck as a cute little mouse.... Imagine the laughs eh?

Trenton

Veteran
I did, she is aimed at a demographic of between 8 to 18, hence the.appearance. Are you suggesting that this is marketed at an audience of astute adults with a sick sense of humour? In that case, and if her viewing figures are to be believed, then society is well and truly f*cked.

The "funny" charachter she plays in the video is quite clearly based on the film Carrie, that film is 41 years old so the chances are the vast majority of her fans would never even have seen the film, so there's no reference point to make the humorous connection is there? Or are you suggesting that the video is aimed at people in their 50's who have watched the film Carrie?

Her main objective is not to entertain but to try and shock and your argument is that all fans of her output are able to discern that it's all a bit of a joke. It's the same as having a known p*dophile stood outside your local school gates every morning with his c*ck hanging out of his trousers...but he's decorated his c*ck as a cute little mouse.... Imagine the laughs eh?
Lmfao Carrie is a cult classic most people have seen it or get the reference. Not just old people. I don't know any highschoolers right now who haven't been exposed to a Carrie reference before in their life.

Everyone rips off Carrie. Also there was a remake just a few years ago?? It did really well (and imo was really good)

Awoken2

Superstar
Lmfao Carrie is a cult classic most people have seen it or get the reference. Not just old people. I don't know any highschoolers right now who haven't been exposed to a Carrie reference before in their life.

Everyone rips off Carrie. Also there was a remake just a few years ago?? It did really well (and imo was really good)

Just the fact that you find a young girl drenched in blood singing a crass song entertaining kind of reiterates my point of how a generation of kids is slowly becoming morally debased, your silly cartoon even more so.

So your standpoint is basically....

...."well officer the reason why I was stroking it was because it really did look like a mouse"

Awoken2

Superstar
I'm sure all the relatives of the victims of the latest mass shooting (If there were any) will be loving this song.

Perfect timing for California.

"I wanna love everyone
Empty every bullet out of every gun"

...All a bit of harmless fun eh?

Trenton

Veteran
Just the fact that you find a young girl drenched in blood singing a crass song entertaining kind of reiterates my point of how a generation of kids is slowly becoming morally debased, your silly cartoon even more so.

So your standpoint is basically....

...."well officer the reason why I was stroking it was because it really did look like a mouse"
I'm here for a good time not a long time.

mecca

Superstar
I did, she is aimed at a demographic of between 8 to 18, hence the.appearance.
Poppy's content is definitely not for 8 year olds. What she looks like doesn't factor in. Poppy is for anyone who understands the music industry and conspiracy theories... mostly adults and teens.
The "funny" charachter she plays in the video is quite clearly based on the film Carrie, that film is 41 years old so the chances are the vast majority of her fans would never even have seen the film, so there's no reference point to make the humorous connection is there?
The video can be seen as humorous without having seen Carrie. Just the random contrasting music and video alone are funny to most people. People will laugh at an extreme metal song that suddenly turns into a happy pop song, it's amusing.
Her main objective is not to entertain but to try and shock
She entertains through shock value as well as humor and satire, and just general randomness... the shocking nature of some of her content is meant to be entertaining.
It's the same as having a known p*dophile stood outside your local school gates every morning with his c*ck hanging out of his trousers...but he's decorated his c*ck as a cute little mouse.... Imagine the laughs eh?
Um... wtf. That is in no way reflective of Poppy. Poppy pretends to be a robot and acts weird in YouTube videos, no one thinks she is a real person. Poppy is literally a meme and a funny internet joke, no one takes her seriously.

Awoken2

Superstar
Poppy's content is definitely not for 8 year olds. What she looks like doesn't factor in. Poppy is for anyone who understands the music industry and conspiracy theories... mostly adults and teens.

The video can be seen as humorous without having seen Carrie. Just the random contrasting music and video alone are funny to most people. People will laugh at an extreme metal song that suddenly turns into a happy pop song, it's amusing.

She entertains through shock value as well as humor and satire, and just general randomness... the shocking nature of some of her content is meant to be entertaining.

Um... wtf. That is in no way reflective of Poppy. Poppy pretends to be a robot and acts weird in YouTube videos, no one thinks she is a real person. Poppy is literally a meme and a funny internet joke, no one takes her seriously.
I'm not gonna waste my time trying to convince somebody that a blood drenched singer who sings "you can get down on your knees if you're naughty" is not a good thing to expose kids to.

If you read through the comments section of her Lowlife video it is not full of informed adults laughing at her expense it's full of kids saying how great the tune is. Does that not tell you something?

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Who said this was for 12 year olds? I don't think this song was made for that demographic, but 12 year olds are not stupid... young people are easily capable of seeing humor in the video because of the obviously conflicting imagery and music. You know children think everything is funny, especially randomness like this video.

If I had a young teenage child (girl or boy) and they saw the video and thought it was funny, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it... because the video is a joke... it's not serious and no one should take it seriously. I would trust my child to know that Poppy is obviously just a character. If they found that character amusing, that's fine with me. They are not being corrupted by laughing at a stupid video for a few minutes.
Poppy and Eilish and etc. appear on Ellen and co....... so its obviously being aimed and children 12 years old and younger.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
I'm not gonna waste my time trying to convince somebody that a blood drenched singer who sings "you can get down on your knees if you're naughty" is not a good thing to expose kids to.

If you read through the comments section of her Lowlife video it is not full of informed adults laughing at her expense it's full of kids saying how great the tune is. Does that not tell you something?
This is one area where I disagree w/Mecca.... I think the agenda that these tools are pushing is pretty obvious and I think Mecca knows it too.... but we all have our guilty media pleasures.

mecca

Superstar
I did not say that kids should watch it. I specifically stated that Poppy is not for young children. That’s why I said her videos are not for 8 year olds. Her content is more aimed towards teens and adults. You were the one who said her videos are for a young audience, I disagreed with you on that.

You literally quoted my comment where I said “Poppy is definitely not for 8 year olds” and you’re trying to respond to me like I said her content is good for kids. Lol I just said the exact opposite.

Her content is not made for children, but sometimes young children still come across it. That’s the parents fault for not monitoring what their child does on the internet.

Last edited:

mecca

Superstar
Poppy and Eilish and etc. appear on Ellen and co....... so its obviously being aimed and children 12 years old and younger.
Dude children 12 years old and younger don’t watch Ellen. Adults watch talk shows like Ellen, children watch SpongeBob.

Billie Eilish is a real person, she’s not a joke or character like Poppy. Billie Eilish’s music can be listened to and enjoyed by anyone, she’s a regular singer and she’s young herself so she does also appeal to people around her age. Poppy’s videos are satirizing aspects of the music industry and conspiracy theories, young kids don’t know about that. Poppy is definitely not created for young people.

Last edited:

mecca

Superstar
This is one area where I disagree w/Mecca.... I think the agenda that these tools are pushing is pretty obvious and I think Mecca knows it too.... but we all have our guilty media pleasures.
The funny thing is, I never said this content was for young children. I am not a fan of Poppy. I just said this video was funny and anyone can find it mildly humorous. Poppy is a meme, she’s not serious and she cannot harm you with her videos. It does not have to be made into a bigger deal than it is.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
12 year olds don’t watch Ellen. Adults watch talk shows like Ellen, children watch spongebob.

Billie Eilish is a real person, she’s not a satirical character like poppy. Billie Eilish’s music can be listened to and enjoyed by anyone, she’s a regular singer and she’s young herself so she does also appeal to people around her age. Poppy’s videos are satirizing aspects of the music industry and conspiracy theories, young kids don’t know about that.
"12 year olds don’t watch Ellen. Adults watch talk shows like Ellen, children watch spongebob."
Come on, you are too intelligent for this. If you wish to like it just say so and I will drop it w/you, but dont lie/play stupid to defend it.

As for the rest, You said you couldn't see anything wrong with the drastic and sudden altering of Poppys appearance in the thread regarding her, or even any change at all for that matter. Dont know/care why you are defending this stuff, but its clear that you feel a certain way about it.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
The funny thing is, I never said this content was for young children. I am not a fan of Poppy. I just said this video was funny and anyone can find it mildly humorous. Poppy is a meme, she’s not serious and she cannot harm you with her videos. It does not have to be made into a bigger deal than it is.
Poppy and the team behind her are receiving a MASSIVE mainstream push, everything from MTV to NPR....... That doesnt happen out of nowhere.

mecca

Superstar
Come on, you are too intelligent for this. If you wish to like it just say so and I will drop it w/you, but dont lie/play stupid to defend it.
Um... what I said is true. The Ellen Show’s target demographic is 25-54 year old women.

If I wish to like what?
As for the rest, You said you couldn't see anything wrong with the drastic and sudden altering of Poppys appearance in the thread regarding her, or even any change at all for that matter. Dont know/care why you are defending this stuff, but its clear that you feel a certain way about it.
I don’t know what you’re talking about. I did not say anything about that. All I did was point out why the video is funny. I’m not defending anything and I don’t even care about Poppy. You guys are making a big deal out of the smallest things.
Poppy and the team behind her are receiving a MASSIVE mainstream push, everything from MTV to NPR....... That doesnt happen out of nowhere.
What does that have to do with what I said? Poppy is still a meme and satirical character.

Last edited: