Natural Health Methods for Depression, Anxiety and Dementia

Dalit

Star
Good article! It is the food industry that markets hyper-palatable processed foods or foods high in sugar, salt and fat.

"The elephant in the room is the global food industry. 'Big Food has completely altered the food environment so that unhealthy foods are the cheapest, most ubiquitous, heavily marketed, [most] difficult to resist and socially acceptable – as a result, the [world’s] health has gone down the toilet.'"

I've gotten to where I just walk around the periphery of the grocery store--go straight to produce, vegetables especially, and get the bulk of my food there. Yet they place sugar and bread right by the baskets and carts at the front of the store. Also sugar is along every aisle and display table even by dairy and meat! I just ignore it. It's not my food.

It's also a good opportunity to speed walk the store. And, from eating more healthy, I've actually saved money, unless I go to Whole Foods. There it really is "whole check" :) I can't get out of Whole Foods without spending at least $50, which is why I hardly go there even though I love it so. Got some great stir fry beef there once and veggies, of course.

Maes17

Superstar
That sounds terrible. No wonder the US has such terrible problems with narcotic abuse. I have seen that on some Australian news websites.

We have had very strict rules recently put on use of drug with opioids. If you want Panadeine you have to get a prescription. Too bad if it is only wanted for short term use like getting serious dental work done, then they wonder why the GP offices suddenly have a huge amount of people wanting visits.

Do you have any natural methods you use?
I found foods with high levels of natural fat like avocados, tuna and cheese really helped my mood stabilise. If I eat a lot of processed foods my moods get worse for the next day or so. They are probably very low in vitamins like Vitamin B.
If I eat a lot of pasta a night prior I get pretty moody.

A lot of fatty foods like avocado, peanut butter(prefer valenicia peanuts less toxis), and fish stabilize me too. I think the healthy fats, omega 3's balance out hormones.

Even after hard workout days, I'm very moody.

Stuff like opiods really funk out the brain chemistry and hormones.

Dalit

Star
If I eat a lot of pasta a night prior I get pretty moody.

A lot of fatty foods like avocado, peanut butter(prefer valenicia peanuts less toxis), and fish stabilize me too. I think the healthy fats, omega 3's balance out hormones.

Even after hard workout days, I'm very moody.

Stuff like opiods really funk out the brain chemistry and hormones.
Be careful with gluten and white carbs. There's proof they may ferment in the gut, too. Saw that in Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's (M.D.) Gut and Psychology Syndrome. I'm off flour and sugar except when I cheated twice and had a piece of challah bread on Friday nights. I felt the effect of it right away, feeling good temporarily and then sick to my stomach.

http://www.gaps.me/dr-campbell-mcbride.php
http://www.gaps.me/gut-and-physiology-syndrome.php

Last edited:

Maes17

Superstar
Be careful with gluten and white carbs. There's proof they may ferment in the gut, too. Saw that in Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's Gut and Psychology Syndrome. I'm off flour and sugar except when I cheated twice and had a piece of challah bread on Friday nights. I felt the affect of it right away, feeling good temporarily and then sick to my stomach.
We only buy organic bread.
Pasta is different. Usually plain store bought pasta.

I love potatoes too.
Rice intake is organic brown.

We're pretty watchful of what we eat here. A lot of my family(granny, a few aunties) have been having some health issues. They don't take care of themselves and very stubborn.

The wife and I value our health though.
That's good that you take the time. Cheating once in awhile is fine. I indulge here as well

Dalit

Star
Okay, here's an update on episodes 5-9 (currently watching #9) of Jonathan (and Lori) Otto's Depression, Anxiety and Dementia Secrets.

In episodes 8 and 9, Jonathan's wife Lori joins him and their testimonies of nutritional intervention and functional medicine are very moving. They are Christians. They went from chronic health and marriage trouble, including possible infertility (implied, not stated) to feeling much better and now are a family of three. That was really neat and I'm glad they got a little bit personal yet still are private people. They researched this stuff and have benefited from it.

Here's one of the practitioners recommended. I've not looked into his website very much, yet he seems intelligent.

https://drjaydavidson.com/about/

Edited: Actually, he's one of those coffee enema guys. More power to him, but why not just eat more fiber, drink a lot of water, exercise and take some Magnesium Citrate?

What really has benefited me is realizing that gluten is a culprit for me. I feel bad when I eat bread, even communion or challah bread. As weird as this sounds, I feel a little intoxicated by it. I've been tested and do not have celiac disease. Most traditional doctors don't seem to understand that there is such a thing as gluten sensitivity. Even just having a little once a week can keep the cycle of leaky gut going and even affect one's mood! I've had intestinal issues throughout my life, nothing major just annoying as all get out. I could probably take some pills for it, but choose not to. Natural solutions such as diet, water, exercise, and taking Magnesium Citrate work much better. So I really can't afford to cheat and have a bit of bread because I really don't like feeling bad afterward. Episode 9 talks a lot about this, about how dietary interventions have helped many people. One young man gave his testimony of how quitting gluten, and he's gluten sensitive without celiac disease, made all the difference in his life.

CBD oil is recommended by these documentaries, too. I've tried some before and couldn't see a big difference with it, but then didn't keep it up. It was peppermint flavored so it tastes like oily peppermint.

One thing that interested me yet seems suspect is "Dr." John Gray (the Mars and Venus books guy), who recommended Lithium Orotate and other orotates for daily use. This man is not a medical doctor (has Ph.D maybe; that is suspect, too).

https://www.marsvenus.com/p/ar500-lithium-orotate

So I would not be going out and buying supplements based on what this man says.

Anyway, it's been an interesting docuseries. If I had to rate it, I would say 3 stars. As I kept watching/listening to it, I've noticed that the interviews with John Gray, Dr. Jay Davidson and Dr. Ben Johnson have been used in more than one episode and all of them covered the exact same material previously covered. In other words, the information is padded and repetitive.

Last edited:

Simka

Established
I read many posts about the benefits of cannabis. People who suffer fro depression, anxiety and various disorders say it really helps them. Personally I find it to be great as it allows people not to take a ton of pills. But also there are discussions about the risk of abuse. So, I guess, it would be better if marijuana users were informed about weed measurements and possible risks.

Last edited:

Cintra

Star
Walking!
I know that sounds stupid, but it does help a bit.

Especially walking somewhere nice, like a park or green space.
Apart from anything it wears your body out a bit, so you get less of that lying awake chewing over your problems in the dark.

It sounds stupid, and when I got told I just sneered, but its true. Walking helps anxiety and depression.

Tidal

Star
Best treatment for depression is to adopt a healthy Christian mindset.
Christians are not immune to depression, but they know how to roll with the punch to drastically reduce its impact..:)
They also know our life on earth counts for zilch in the grand scheme of things and is not to be taken seriously, which is why they're cool, calm and relaxed.-
"We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Cor 4:18 )
That's why Christians don't let themselves get bogged down in the cares and worries of the world.

"My Christian faith has been such a backbone through so many difficult times. For me Christianity is about being strengthened"- Bear Grylls

Cintra

Star
Best treatment for depression is to adopt a healthy Christian mindset.
Christians are not immune to depression, but they know how to roll with the punch to drastically reduce its impact..:)
They also know our life on earth counts for zilch in the grand scheme of things and is not to be taken seriously, which is why they're cool, calm and relaxed.-
"We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Cor 4:18 )
That's why Christians don't let themselves get bogged down in the cares and worries of the world.

"My Christian faith has been such a backbone through so many difficult times. For me Christianity is about being strengthened"- Bear Grylls
He drinks piss.
He wouldn't be allowed in doomsday hall...

Tidal

Star
He drinks piss.
He wouldn't be allowed in doomsday hall...

Grylls must take this verse a bit too literally..:)
God said "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything" (Genesis 9:3)

lucidity

I'm a holistic nutritionist, and I still take pharmaceuticals to help my CPTSD, depression, and anxiety. They have given me a life I didnt imagine was possible before and I am so grateful.

There is a whole holistic world to delve into to treat and help the symptoms of anything unbalanced. Food, supplementation, and lifestyle adjustments. Be mindful and check for contraindications with medications before self treating - super important to do the due diligence.

Nobodybuthere

Established
Hi, maybe you know how to win obsessive compulsive contamination disorder by natural ways?
Is there any chance to get rid of it without doctors by yourself, not letting anybody to dig in your mind?

Maes17

Superstar
Hi, maybe you know how to win obsessive compulsive contamination disorder by natural ways?
Is there any chance to get rid of it without doctors by yourself, not letting anybody to dig in your mind?
Cbd

Learn to relax. Find yourself a hobby that enriches you and gives YOU purpose.

I don’t think there’s any real cure. I kinda get obsessive compulsive here. Best remedy I found is working out. It’s a personal, timely progressive get away for my mind