My personal belief and exegesis of the Sheep's and the Goats Parable

Lyfe

Star
My personal belief and exegesis of the Sheep's and the Goats Parable

The Goats

Jude 1:1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, [and] called:
Jude 1:2 Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.
Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Jude 1:5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Jude 1:8 Likewise also these [filthy] dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
Jude 1:10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
Jude 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
Jude 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds [they are] without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
Jude 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jude 1:15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard [speeches] which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Jude 1:16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling [words], having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.
Jude 1:17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Jude 1:18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
Jude 1:19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Jude 1:21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Jude 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling [them] out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
Jude 1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, [be] glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

The Sheep

Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

I really believe the distinction is between the regenerate person(sheep) and the unregenerate person(goats). Those born again indwelt with the holy spirit and those still sensual having not the spirit. It really comes down to all the individuals who profess to be Christian, but are false converts on the premise that they have never been born again or regenerated by the holy spirit. These are the goats which sad to say is most who profess to be Christian. Unfortunately being a Christian nowadays is something someone will just commonly affiliate with since their early years, but there is no definitive moment where the majority hear the true gospel and give their life to Christ.

If someone is truly indwelt by the spirit of God, regenerated, and become a new creature then how can they continue to live in such a way that Jude describes with the person and nature of a holy God in them(the holy ghost)? They may get lost and quench and grieve the holy spirit for a season, but eventually they come back through the conviction of the holy ghost or even Gods chastisement as he promises to do to all his covenant people. When I came to Christ I was grieved and hated the pleasures and sins I once loved. It wasn't really my flesh per say that was grieved, I was grieving the holy spirit and it became unbearable to live like that as I had began to miss walking with the lord and his presence. My heart and disposition toward the very things I loved had changed completely. The goats or unregenerate people are not convicted by their sin and love as they do, because they are still in their Adamic nature predisposed to loving sin. God does not go after them as he did the one sheep. God does not chastise them for their sin... Its not even that they are disobedient Christians. Its not that they need to be rebuked for their carnal lifestyle or told to obey. Its that they aren't Christian at all. They flatout need salvation and to be born again.

Lyfe

Star
In fact I am of the personal belief that those who fall away were never saved or born again to begin with...

1John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
1John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
1John 2:21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

John is making the distinction that the difference between the ones who left and the ones that stayed is in this unction. What or who is this unction? The holy spirit! Jesus told his disciples that he shall send the comforter(the holy spirit) to lead us and guide us into all truth. The passage implies that the holy spirit somehow bares witness to the spirit of man the truth in the testimony of Christ that natural man is unable to grasp. The distinction is made between those who dont believe(without the unction), and those who do believe(with the unction).

I personally believe that those who fall away were never sealed with the holy spirit which means they never truly believed. Why did many of the original disciples walk away and why did the twelve stay?

John 6:60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard [this], said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
John 6:61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
John 6:62 [What] and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.
John 6:64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
John 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
John 6:66 From that [time] many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
John 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
John 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
John 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Those who went away did not believe. Those who remained did believe. The scriptures suggest that those who remain do so on the premise of their the unction(the holy spirit) that separates them from those who walk away(revealed and distinguished to be without the unction). The Bible says that he that overcomes shall be saved...

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Who overcomes?
1John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith.

The distinction is made again of the unregenerate person and the one born of God via the holy spirit. Those who fall away and shrink back will do so and scripture suggests this is ultimately due to their unbelief and no true conversion of the soul, but whoever is born of God overcomes and perseveres in faith.

Tidal

Star
In fact I am of the personal belief that those who fall away were never saved or born again to begin with...

Right, abandoning Jesus is as crazy as if people were to say "I don't like Elvis any more".
Obviously they never really liked him or Jesus in the first place or they wouldn't abandon them later on, right Elv?

Lisa

Superstar
Yet the Bible has this to say...

‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭4:1-2‬ ‭‬‬
But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron.

Hebrews‬ ‭3:12-14‬ ‭
Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end.

Hebrews‬ ‭6:4-6‬ ‭
For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

In Hebrews 3:14..sounds like being saved...

Last edited:

Lyfe

Star
I am familiar with Hebrews, but also believe the context has to be considered.

What does regeneration mean to you? What does it mean to be a new creature in Christ? What does the holy spirit do in someone and would you say most people who claim to be Christian have been born again or have the holy spirit?

Lisa

Superstar
I am familiar with Hebrews, but also believe the context has to be considered.

What does regeneration mean to you? What does it mean to be a new creature in Christ? What does the holy spirit do in someone and would you say most people who claim to be Christian have been born again or have the holy spirit?
What context do you think I haven’t considered in Hebrews?

I get that people want to believe that the Holy Spirit seals you..but He is just the Helper..He doesn’t actually seal your salvation. You are being saved by God every day..and He won’t stop saving you..but if you don’t believe the truth then are you still on the road to salvation? Perhaps you let a little leaven in...and through your itchy ears..you find for yourself a pastor that talks what you want to hear? We do have a choice whether to heed the Holy Spirts warnings or not. God didn’t take away free will from us..nor did he take the sin nature from us. What made it possible to be saved is the correct belief in Jesus..don’t fall away from it.

Why do you think we are warned about false teachers and prophets? Why warn people who are osas? Why does it matter? Anyone could believe anything at that point..couldn’t they? Or do you have to stay in the faith to be saved..and if you aren’t then you are said to be fallen away?

Lyfe

Star
What context do you think I haven’t considered in Hebrews?

I get that people want to believe that the Holy Spirit seals you..but He is just the Helper..He doesn’t actually seal your salvation. You are being saved by God every day..and He won’t stop saving you..but if you don’t believe the truth then are you still on the road to salvation? Perhaps you let a little leaven in...and through your itchy ears..you find for yourself a pastor that talks what you want to hear? We do have a choice whether to heed the Holy Spirts warnings or not. God didn’t take away free will from us..nor did he take the sin nature from us. What made it possible to be saved is the correct belief in Jesus..don’t fall away from it.

Why do you think we are warned about false teachers and prophets? Why warn people who are osas? Why does it matter? Anyone could believe anything at that point..couldn’t they? Or do you have to stay in the faith to be saved..and if you aren’t then you are said to be fallen away?
Scripture says that we are sealed.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

So you contend the holy spirit is only a helper and that God hasnt changed our nature?

Lisa

Superstar
Scripture says that we are sealed.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

So you contend the holy spirit is only a helper and that God hasnt changed our nature?
With the promise that you would be saved..not that we are saved...we are being saved.

Yes, I contend that the Holy Spirit is our helper...
John‬ ‭14:26‬ ‭
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Do you still sin? God is working on our nature..but He hasn’t taken it from us totally...

A Freeman

Superstar
John 10:1-18
10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
10:2 But he that entereth in by the door (tells the Truth) is the Shepherd of the sheep.
10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice
(Rev. 1:15).
10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
10:6
This parable spoke Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spoke unto them.
10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them (but the goats did).
10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have Life, and that they might have [it] more abundantly.
10:11 I am the Good Shepherd: the Good Shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
10:12 But he that is an hireling, and not the Shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
10:13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
10:14 I am the Good Shepherd, and know my [sheep], and am known by mine.
10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
10:16 And other sheep I have (the "House of Israel"), which are not of this fold (the "House of Judah"): them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one Shepherd (Eze 37:22 and Genesis 49:10).
10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Lyfe

Star
John 10:1-18
10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
10:2 But he that entereth in by the door (tells the Truth) is the Shepherd of the sheep.
10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice
(Rev. 1:15).
10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
10:6
This parable spoke Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spoke unto them.
10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them (but the goats did).
10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have Life, and that they might have [it] more abundantly.
10:11 I am the Good Shepherd: the Good Shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
10:12 But he that is an hireling, and not the Shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
10:13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
10:14 I am the Good Shepherd, and know my [sheep], and am known by mine.
10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
10:16 And other sheep I have (the "House of Israel"), which are not of this fold (the "House of Judah"): them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one Shepherd (Eze 37:22 and Genesis 49:10).
10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
That's right. They do hear his voice. Not Mohammad's. The holy spirit wil only bare witness to the ministry, words, and work of Jesus. Nobody else....

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Anyone following Mohammad does not hear his voice...

A Freeman

Superstar
That's right. They do hear his voice. Not Mohammad's. The holy spirit wil only bare witness to the ministry, words, and work of Jesus. Nobody else....

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Anyone who has read the Quran knows that Jesus is the most mentioned figure in it, being mentioned directly and indirectly over 187 times. Mohammad, by contrast, is only mentioned 4 times, and none of those references tell anyone to follow Mohammad.

The Quran does however tell its readers to read the Gospel and follow Christ-Jesus, and that those who follow Him (His sheep) are SUPERIOR to those who reject faith (the goats).

Sura 3:45-55
3:45. Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! God giveth thee glad tidings of The Word (John 1:1-5) from Him: he will be called Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to God.
3:46. He shall speak to the people in childhood (Luke 2:40-47) and in maturity. And he shall be (of the company) of the righteous."
3:47. She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: God createth what He willeth: when He hath decreed a plan, He only saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!
3:48. And God will teach him The Book (Old Covenant) and Wisdom, The Law (The Torah) and The Gospel,
3:49. And (appoint him) an Apostle to the Children of Israel, (with this message): "'I have come to you (Matt. 15:24), with a Sign from your Lord, in that I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God's leave: and I heal those born blind (John 9:1-3), and the lepers, and I enliven the dead, by God's leave and I declare to you what ye eat, and what ye store in your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe;
3:50. (I have come to you), to affirm The Law which was before me (John 7:16-17). And to make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear God, and obey me.
3:51. It is God Who is my Lord and your Lord then worship Him. This is The Way that is Straight (Matt. 7:13-14).
3:52. When Jesus found Unbelief on their part he said: "Who will be MY helpers to (the work of) God." Said the disciples: "We are God's helpers: we believe in God, and do thou bear witness that we are "True in Faith".
3:53. Our Lord! we believe in what Thou hast revealed, and we follow the Messenger; then write us down among those who bear witness."
3:54. And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and God too planned, and the best of planners is God.
3:55. Behold! God said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee SUPERIOR to those who reject faith, to The Day of Resurrection: then shall ye all return unto Me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.

You seem to harbor a hateful attitude toward the Muslims, based upon your ignorance of the Quran, which will only serve Satan to drive them away from Christ. If instead, you could actually hear the Voice of The Master (Christ), don't you think He would be Commanding you today to love your (perceived) enemies into being Christ-like?

Don't you think Christ loves every Muslim as much as He loves every Christian, and is calling them to Him through the Quran?

Or has your hatred blinded you to that truth?

Lyfe

Star
Anyone who has read the Quran knows that Jesus is the most mentioned figure in it, being mentioned directly and indirectly over 187 times. Mohammad, by contrast, is only mentioned 4 times, and none of those references tell anyone to follow Mohammad.

The Quran does however tell its readers to read the Gospel and follow Christ-Jesus, and that those who follow Him (His sheep) are SUPERIOR to those who reject faith (the goats).

Sura 3:45-55
3:45. Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! God giveth thee glad tidings of The Word (John 1:1-5) from Him: he will be called Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to God.
3:46. He shall speak to the people in childhood (Luke 2:40-47) and in maturity. And he shall be (of the company) of the righteous."
3:47. She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: God createth what He willeth: when He hath decreed a plan, He only saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!
3:48. And God will teach him The Book (Old Covenant) and Wisdom, The Law (The Torah) and The Gospel,
3:49. And (appoint him) an Apostle to the Children of Israel, (with this message): "'I have come to you (Matt. 15:24), with a Sign from your Lord, in that I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God's leave: and I heal those born blind (John 9:1-3), and the lepers, and I enliven the dead, by God's leave and I declare to you what ye eat, and what ye store in your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe;
3:50. (I have come to you), to affirm The Law which was before me (John 7:16-17). And to make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear God, and obey me.
3:51. It is God Who is my Lord and your Lord then worship Him. This is The Way that is Straight (Matt. 7:13-14).
3:52. When Jesus found Unbelief on their part he said: "Who will be MY helpers to (the work of) God." Said the disciples: "We are God's helpers: we believe in God, and do thou bear witness that we are "True in Faith".
3:53. Our Lord! we believe in what Thou hast revealed, and we follow the Messenger; then write us down among those who bear witness."
3:54. And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and God too planned, and the best of planners is God.
3:55. Behold! God said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee SUPERIOR to those who reject faith, to The Day of Resurrection: then shall ye all return unto Me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.

You seem to harbor a hateful attitude toward the Muslims, based upon your ignorance of the Quran, which will only serve Satan to drive them away from Christ. If instead, you could actually hear the Voice of The Master (Christ), don't you think He would be Commanding you today to love your (perceived) enemies into being Christ-like?

Don't you think Christ loves every Muslim as much as He loves every Christian, and is calling them to Him through the Quran?

Or has your hatred blinded you to that truth?
I dont hate Muslims. In fact my truck stopped working not that long ago and my friend Davina(who is a Muslim) drove me to the store the other day. I thanked her and we even shared a few laughs. I have told her the same thing I would tell any Muslim... I told her that she needs Christ and that he is her only hope of salvation.

DevaWolf

Veteran

But if they do hear Mo's voice it's 'demons' right? Because only Christians hearing voices have the holy spirit, the rest is just demons.

Lyfe

Star
Im bumping this thread, because iron sharpens iron and there has been discussion in other threads pertaining to doctrines on salvation.