Multivitamins before sleep

Axl888

Established
I take my multivitamins at night before I sleep, I do this especially if I am staying awake very late at night. Surprisingly, I go straight to sleep after taking my vitamins and wake up feeling refreshed the next morning.

Am I doing this the right way? I would love to hear your opinion about this.

Dalit

Star
I take my multivitamins at night before I sleep, I do this especially if I am staying awake very late at night. Surprisingly, I go straight to sleep after taking my vitamins and wake up feeling refreshed the next morning.

Am I doing this the right way? I would love to hear your opinion about this.
I do the same. Can't say I always feel refreshed though. I tend to get less sleep than I need.

Stina

Rookie
All the doctors and pharmacists here advise to take vitamins in the first part of the day, or at least during daytime, but never in the evening/nighttime. It's even on the back of some vitamin bottles.
Oh, and another thing they like to stress is to avoid taking them during the hot season.

polymoog

Superstar
i prefer the morning.
like stina says, read the labels.

the only one i would take before bed would be melatonin, for obvious reasons.

Dalit

Star
i prefer the morning.
like stina says, read the labels.

the only one i would take before bed would be melatonin, for obvious reasons.
I just take them at night because that's when I take things and it's just habit and routine. Plus I can taste the spirulina in the vegan vitamins and immediately brush my teeth after. Really don't like spirulina but endure it because, well, health.

polymoog

Superstar
I just take them at night because that's when I take things and it's just habit and routine. Plus I can taste the spirulina in the vegan vitamins and immediately brush my teeth after. Really don't like spirulina but endure it because, well, health.
if the taste that horrible, (i like it!) you can put it into a capsule and take it with water. you can buy it in capsule form or encapsulate it yourself and save money, if you have the time.

Mark

Rookie
Hi,

I have always considered it best to take them in the day, preferably the morning when you can take on water throughout the day to help process them. Since multivitamins are quite concentrated, I think that taking them and not keeping hydrated afterwards could potentially put unnecessary strain on the liver and kidneys.

If for whatever reason you have gone to bed already somewhat dehydrated (which is easily done), taking a concentrated dose of vitamins will place additional strain on the organs.

Just my view, happy to listen to others in the know if you think my science is skewed!

Axl888

Established
A little bit of google and I found this article which is quite fascinating

https://www.verywellfit.com/when-is-the-best-time-to-take-vitamins-4173024

The article says that there are certain vitamins that are good to take in the morning and in the evening, for the multivitamins however it says "There's no "best" time to take your multivitamin, although many people take a multivitamin in the morning, especially if they have other morning medications to take. You definitely should take your multivitamin with food, though, since some of the vitamins in it most likely are fat-soluble. Some larger multivitamin supplements can cause stomach upset if taken on an empty stomach, as well."