Movies And Trauma

Devine

Star
I stopped watching movies several years ago. one reason (which some say is it's own 'conspiracy') is that i found 98% of them to be just bad. not funny, creative, interesting, nothing.
i didn't like the way they made me feel too. what's with all the mood making? the highs the lows the laugh the cry. it's just too much. seems unhealthy.
and the action films make me sick mostly because all i can see as stuff is blowing up is money burning away billions of billions dollars we spend to entertain ourselves in this way when people around the world are starving.
but the main reason i don't watch is because of something a professor told me at university. he was some kinda brain science guy and he said that when you watch something on a screen, your brain reacts as if it were happening to you. watch someone get murdered on screen? your brain is reacting, chemicals pumping and connections flying, as if it were happening in front of you for real.
that's when i cut out watching anything scary or gross for sure. that just doesn't sound healthy. that was years ago.
recently thinking about mk ultra etc. got me thinking again about movies and other entertainment. if really intense trauma can make the brain split into multiples and become very suggestible, could mild trauma make one a little more suggestible? would some of our entertainment choices be actually traumatizing us into a mild mind control?

Aero

Superstar
Who says it's mild trauma? The movie doesn't have to be some gore filled slaughter fest, but it helps in some cases. That's why the "Wizard of Oz" gets referenced so much. I guess the wicked witch is kind of scary, but we don't know what's going on in someones brain. That movie fucked a lot of people up.

If you think about it that movie created the dumbest alter egos possible. They weren't shooting to make super soldiers. They just wanted to make people really stupid and weak.

Fl-Fr-Fa

Established
Yes, Devin.

Or even just "entertainment and trauma" or "politics and trauma", you get my drift;)

As I read your post, I thought of the "if it were happening to you" aspect, and then the question came up: feeling things for real/legitimate reasons . . . or artificial reasons, i.e. much of the entertainment industry - which we all know has been created as a nice escape (thanks, elites) from the trauma(s) of existence here. I have to believe there is still a difference between the artificial, especially with bad intentions, and the real and therefore appreciate the latter wherever we can find it.

Can't remember the last movie I went to . . .

lamb

Established
our brains go into alpha state when watching tv/movies so it's more vulnerable and easily to manipulate. that's probably why the brain thinks it's happening to us, because it's in a state where it's not fully awake but not fully asleep either and probably can't differentiate fiction from reality. it's all subliminal. there have been some videos on it, i can't find the specific one i watched recently but i found this one
there is so much psychology involved in marketing and commercials and the movie industry isn't any different

there are some brainwashing techniques like flashing/repetition and i think flashing is a common one in movies. it's definitely in action movies. i also saw it used in a music video not too long ago.
brainwashing at 2:36
if that's not convincing a girl makes horns with baphomet hand signs with one eye at 0:33, one eye at 0:40 followed by silent symbolism

here's a more convincing, blatantly satanic mtv commercial with brainwashing techniques in plain sight

also what @polymoog said, it's mostly desensitization. watched a video where there have been thousands of studies on it and almost all (almost meaning only 18 disagreed out of thousands) agreed that violent movies makes people more aggressive and can mess with your ethics/thinking. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201309/violence-the-media-and-your-brain could also be false idolatry with the superheroes and celebrities

the human brain is very fragile

I know this may sound a bit over the top but the movie 'the passion of the Christ' really traumataized me as a 16 year old. I felt sick for days, could barely eat during those. I also had recurring nightmares about it for several years. Now it's been over two years since it haunted my sleep but it really deeply impacted me.

I can remember being scared easily by cartoons if it got a little dark and edgy, and whenever something unfair went by without further notice to some of the characters, it could really get to me and make me cry as a child. I am hypersensitive tho so I learned to be carefull what I watch, I don't watch much television anyway... (I'm talking Belgian television here, everything is getting so gory, not only in big shows but also smaller soaps

Devine

Star
our brains go into alpha state when watching tv/movies so it's more vulnerable and easily to manipulate. that's probably why the brain thinks it's happening to us, because it's in a state where it's not fully awake but not fully asleep either and probably can't differentiate fiction from reality. it's all subliminal. there have been some videos on it, i can't find the specific one i watched recently but i found this one
there is so much psychology involved in marketing and commercials and the movie industry isn't any different

there are some brainwashing techniques like flashing/repetition and i think flashing is a common one in movies. it's definitely in action movies. i also saw it used in a music video not too long ago.
if that's not convincing a girl makes horns with baphomet hand signs with one eye at 0:33, one eye at 0:40 followed by silent symbolism

here's a more convincing, blatantly satanic mtv commercial with brainwashing techniques in plain sight

also what @polymoog said, it's mostly desensitization. watched a video where there have been thousands of studies on it and almost all (almost meaning only 18 disagreed out of thousands) agreed that violent movies makes people more aggressive and can mess with your ethics/thinking. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201309/violence-the-media-and-your-brain could also be false idolatry with the superheroes and celebrities

wow this commercial is CRAZY! i see hypnotic looking sutff like this in all the awards shows on mtv too. and something about the set of dancing with the stars if i pass it on a screen somewhere catches my eye as something being off :)

Devine

Star
I know this may sound a bit over the top but the movie 'the passion of the Christ' really traumataized me as a 16 year old. I felt sick for days, could barely eat during those. I also had recurring nightmares about it for several years. Now it's been over two years since it haunted my sleep but it really deeply impacted me.

I can remember being scared easily by cartoons if it got a little dark and edgy, and whenever something unfair went by without further notice to some of the characters, it could really get to me and make me cry as a child. I am hypersensitive tho so I learned to be carefull what I watch, I don't watch much television anyway... (I'm talking Belgian television here, everything is getting so gory, not only in big shows but also smaller soaps
i believe it! my mom accidentally took me to see dances with wolves at 9 and i puked just from the emotional intensity of the film. see i do not think you are hyper sensitive, just not numbed out like others!!!

Devine

Star

wow i peeked through my hand at that commercial that is really something! UGH

Devine

Star

that's what people are starting to wake up to: the fact that it's NOT normal to enjoy this stuff, it is not entertainment, it is not art, it does not make you grow as a person in any way. it is torture and brainwashing as it is intended to be

tanayahenry

Rookie
I know this may sound a bit over the top but the movie 'the passion of the Christ' really traumataized me as a 16 year old. I felt sick for days
Weird. I watched that when I was like 15 (maybe a bit younger), I threw up three times toward the end of the movie. I was so confused because usually you get a feeling where you want to throw up, but there was nothing, I just threw up. I felt sad for some unknown reason and had weird dreams for a bit after too. But I never made that connection until you just mentioned that, or really brought it up to anyone.

BumbleBee

Rookie
The MTV advert is crazy blatant. As for the hares (jumping out of each other's mouths), it reminded me of a cathedral window feature I once saw in Paderborn (Germany). Quite an ancient (fertility?) symbol, I think, from China originally and appearing in a number of weird and wonderful and often arcane areas. It seems an odd place for it to pop up (or not, if you understand why, I suppose).

Devine

Star
Weird. I watched that when I was like 15 (maybe a bit younger), I threw up three times toward the end of the movie. I was so confused because usually you get a feeling where you want to throw up, but there was nothing, I just threw up. I felt sad for some unknown reason and had weird dreams for a bit after too. But I never made that connection until you just mentioned that, or really brought it up to anyone.
could have had more in the film than you guys even knew!
with all the stuff we know about mind control i think we would all be pretty naive to think it NOT being used on us via TV movie radio phone

Devine

Star
The MTV advert is crazy blatant. As for the hares (jumping out of each other's mouths), it reminded me of a cathedral window feature I once saw in Paderborn (Germany). Quite an ancient (fertility?) symbol, I think, from China originally and appearing in a number of weird and wonderful and often arcane areas. It seems an odd place for it to pop up (or not, if you understand why, I suppose).
its like all this stuff we see until you know whats behind it its kinda like huh, thats artsy, guess i dont really get it but right on.
then when you find out and look around its like hey wait a second this isnt random innocent art lol

Leviathan

Established
I've seen hundreds and hundreds of horror films and there aren't many that have upset me. One of the only ones I can remember that did is "Megan Is Missing". Although it looks extremely cheap, and a lot of the dialogue and acting (with the exception of Megan and her best friend) is just plain awful, there's something about it which disturbed me and made me feel dark inside. I think it was the fact of knowing things like that have happened many times. They never caught the perpetrator either and don't say who he is. He could've been anybody, even who you thought of as the nicest person in the world. The fact that it's a "found footage" movie may play a part as well. It felt very real at times.

Other than that, movies don't upset me all that much because I can recognize they're fake. Reading about real life tragedies is what upsets me a lot. Sometimes I can feel the pain of the victims and their families as though I'm actually a part of it. I become obsessed and feel deeply connected to the victims, which leaves me feeling sad for days. Real life suffering is what gets to me more than movie and TV characters.

mecca

Superstar
Other than that, movies don't upset me all that much because I can recognize they're fake. Reading about real life tragedies is what upsets me a lot.
Real life suffering is what gets to me more than movie and TV characters.
Same for me.