Monogamy?

Moreaboutyou

Established
What do you think about monogamy? Is it natural? Is it the best choice in regard to dating and relationships?

Anyone have experience in a polyamorous relationship? Asking for a friend...

Lisa

Superstar
What do you think about monogamy? Is it natural? Is it the best choice in regard to dating and relationships?

Monogamy is what God wants for us. Its the best choice for woman and men to have one person they love, leaves out the jealousy over someone else in the relationship, you feel more secure that they aren’t with someone else, adultery is bad so why would polyamory be good?

I also think that kids would be confused by polyamory and it would end up being like step families..step families are so hard and tragic. I think kids are better grounded with one mom and dad, and I think they think that that is natural. Not two moms, two dads or a combination of those things.

Moreaboutyou

Established
Monogamy is what God wants for us. Its the best choice for woman and men to have one person they love, leaves out the jealousy over someone else in the relationship, you feel more secure that they aren’t with someone else, adultery is bad so why would polyamory be good?

I also think that kids would be confused by polyamory and it would end up being like step families..step families are so hard and tragic. I think kids are better grounded with one mom and dad, and I think they think that that is natural. Not two moms, two dads or a combination of those things.
I completely agree. I think that monogamy between a man and a woman is what kids need. I deal with jealousy, so I could not imagine sharing a spouse. Seems outlandish to me.

I have family members who practice this and it seems to work for them.

polymoog

Superstar

monogamy is natural and the way to go, in my opinion. in an ideal scenario, one goes on dates and settles down in their late 20s/early 30s when theyve found someone.

polyamourous relationships might work for some of the mormons, but they are a special exception. theres a documentary on it somewhere... in it, a man was married to at least 7 women (i cant recall the number) and had many children with them. he worked it out that he would share a bed with different one each night. the women were not jealous of each other, but they had a unique religious mindset about it.

unless your friend is a mormon, forget it. it is doomed to fail. anyone with a modicum of self-worth should never split their time with their loved one.

Moreaboutyou

Established
monogamy is natural and the way to go, in my opinion. in an ideal scenario, one goes on dates and settles down in their late 20s/early 30s when theyve found someone.

polyamourous relationships might work for some of the mormons, but they are a special exception. theres a documentary on it somewhere... in it, a man was married to at least 7 women (i cant recall the number) and had many children with them. he worked it out that he would share a bed with different one each night. the women were not jealous of each other, but they had a unique religious mindset about it.

unless your friend is a mormon, forget it. it is doomed to fail. anyone with a modicum of self-worth should never split their time with their loved one.
I wish that I could like this one million times. I could not imagine sharing my partner. Or even having a partner that is willing to let me be shared.

Ploy relationships seem to be very in right now. Signals to me the decaying of this place we call home.

Robin

Veteran

Personal opinion -monogamy is very much natural and the best choice when it comes to relationships. It takes a lot to maintain a relationship in a way that allows it to last a lifetime, and I honestly don't think it's possible to be truly in love with more than one person and achieve the same amount of maturity and growth with all of them. Other people might have different experiences but I would not consider a relationship in which any party is shared (whether emotionally, physically or both) to be a "real" relationship. And nope, as you might HAVE guessed I have never been in a poly relationship even though there are many people nowadays who seem to think it's a fantastic idea.

Moreaboutyou

Established
Personal opinion -monogamy is very much natural and the best choice when it comes to relationships. It takes a lot to maintain a relationship in a way that allows it to last a lifetime, and I honestly don't think it's possible to be truly in love with more than one person and achieve the same amount of maturity and growth with all of them. Other people might have different experiences but I would not consider a relationship in which any party is shared (whether emotionally, physically or both) to be a "real" relationship. And nope, as you might HAVE guessed I have never been in a poly relationship even though there are many people nowadays who seem to think it's a fantastic idea.
I agree. Of course I don't mind others doing so, but I could never be in a poly relationship either. It does not seem pleasing to me at all. I find it interesting that you brought up emotionally sharing a partner. I never think about it in that sense.

Dalit

Star
I agree. Of course I don't mind others doing so, but I could never be in a poly relationship either. It does not seem pleasing to me at all. I find it interesting that you brought up emotionally sharing a partner. I never think about it in that sense.
Emotions are not to be ignored. Soul ties can be formed with just constant communication whether or not two people engage physically. Of course, sex is like super glue and once you've had it, you can't go back from it and be like "I'm sorry, my bad, that person meant nothing to me." I personally can attest to emotional soul ties being horrible. Thr dissolution of relationships has left me very angry that I wasted time, emotions, and my best self on those who didn't give like I did. They gave to get something. I gave because I stupidly loved or thought I did or thought I could.

Moreaboutyou

Established
Emotions are not to be ignored. Soul ties can be formed with just constant communication whether or not two people engage physically. Of course, sex is like super glue and once you've had it, you can't go back from it and be like "I'm sorry, my bad, that person meant nothing to me." I personally can attest to emotional soul ties being horrible. Thr dissolution of relationships has left me very angry that I wasted time, emotions, and my best self on those who didn't give like I did. They gave to get something. I gave because I stupidly loved or thought I did or thought I could.
Soul ties are the worst. I find it hard to leave when I know that I should. I keep thinking that the person will come around.

Camidria

Veteran
Soul ties are the worst. I find it hard to leave when I know that I should. I keep thinking that the person will come around.
It's better to tear yourself away, I have done it before and it hurts, but looking back now on a amazing marriage with the right guy I have had so many incredible years of happiness, I would have been a shell of a person if I stayed with the other guy. Pray with someone and break the soul tie and don't look back, if you know you must go you should go

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
It's better to tear yourself away, I have done it before and it hurts, but looking back now on a amazing marriage with the right guy I have had so many incredible years of happiness, I would have been a shell of a person if I stayed with the other guy. Pray with someone and break the soul tie and don't look back, if you know you must go you should go
Yes... :)

It will be liberating to shed that WEIGHT you've been carrying for far too long. ♡

Moreaboutyou

Established
Wow, thanks for that info. It helps knowing that people have gone through to same. I am in a relationship now with someone who I love dearly. We are engaged to be married. He has a lot of ways that need to change, but he is putting in the effort to do so. I am prayerful that he will stick with it.