Momentary Blue Flash in Films

I keep noticing a brief blue flash in recent films - a bright blue line going across the screen, like a laser trace.
It happened towards the end of the new Mary Poppins film.

I have seen it in many other films now - often in action films where you might think it was part of the goings-on, but also in other genres of film.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

TruthSucker

Established
I have no idea, in what other movies did you notice it?
Is there a video somewhere or a picture so that we know what it looks like?

I will have a look and see if I can find an example on YouTube.
I have seen it quite a lot in the past couple of years.

You can see the effect here, around 20 seconds in:-

In this case it looks like an artefact of the light from a star, but that same shade of blue crops up as a line, often apparently without cause, every now and again in many films. It would not be there if the makers didn't want it. When it is CGI, it is intentional.

I was astonished to see it in the Mary Poppins film, as there seemed to be no cause or pupose to it at all. It just came across the screen .

TruthSucker

Established
Looks like a normal flare from a star to me. Any other examples?
That Mary Poppins thing sounds more interesting to me as I expect it to be no science fiction movie.

Yes - I was showing you that as an example of what it looks like, rather than the exact thing I was talking about. For example that one was static - a still straight line held for a second or so. These others move across the screen, and can be gone before you know it

All the same, I have never seen a star do that. You might get that kind of thing on a greasy lens, but not just "out in space."
And not a different colour from the star.

I don't want to "spoil" the Mary Poppins example, beacuse it happens just as something special occurs in the narrative.

It is difficult to pin down another example, because I have noticed them while watching a film, rather than looking for them and noting it down. Really, I was wondering whether anyone else had noticed them, or had an Idea as to what they are.

Qedr

Rookie
You can see the effect here, around 20 seconds in:-

In this case it looks like an artefact of the light from a star, but that same shade of blue crops up as a line, often apparently without cause, every now and again in many films. It would not be there if the makers didn't want it. When it is CGI, it is intentional.

I was astonished to see it in the Mary Poppins film, as there seemed to be no cause or pupose to it at all. It just came across the screen .
It looks like the artifact when filming or making a photo of a bright light source in the dark, similar to this

Only difference is that what you're telling about is a horizontal line, my example shows vertical.
In the video you posted it is a CGI flare added for aesthetics, I suppose :p it would be good if you added a few more examples.
Do we have any photographer/filmmaker onboard? :D

Last edited:
Yes, there's a few in that trailer.

Great articles, thank you, unbelievable truth.

So, in a way, it signifies that we are watching the action via a camera, rather than "being there", and is a symbol that this is a fiction, a work of art, and is the product of the film-maker.

That really does help.

Mr.Anderson

Established
Yes, there's a few in that trailer.

Great articles, thank you, unbelievable truth.

So, in a way, it signifies that we are watching the action via a camera, rather than "being there", and is a symbol that this is a fiction, a work of art, and is the product of the film-maker.

That really does help.
There was a change in movie storytelling after a particular movie i'm too lazy to search right now. Before the movie the directors would do anything to avoid the movie resembling a movie, after that the directors would freely use cues, soundtracks, lettering and everything else to make the audience perceive it a movie and work of art

I've seen this lens flare in the opening of netflix series "you" and immediately tought of this thread. let's keep an eye and see what happens next