Moderators

Trenton

Veteran
We've been down this road, I don't think Vig really wants mods. Best we can do in the meantime is report the accounts and he usually cleans it up when he checks.

I've never blocked anyone before but will that hide the spammers threads too?

rainerann

Star
We've been down this road, I don't think Vig really wants mods. Best we can do in the meantime is report the accounts and he usually cleans it up when he checks.

I've never blocked anyone before but will that hide the spammers threads too?
Yes it would

TruthSucker

Established
I think this forum is doing pretty well without mods. I had the same idea but mods mostly cut off real good conversations and then it's finished. There's no insulting, very less spamming, where's the problem?
We are all mods. That's how I see it and that's how it should be handled on a forum like this.

Or are you really asking for someone who is watching over all of us? A big brother? Maybe two?

Thunderian

Superstar
Or are you really asking for someone who is watching over all of us? A big brother? Maybe two?
More like a caretaker.

I don't think the conversations need to be moderated -- other than for obvious infractions of the rules.

It's the spam, and the odd outbreak of drama that I'm more interested in having moderated. Someone who could boot the bots and ban the odd IP address or two.

Etagloc

Superstar
I think this forum is doing pretty well without mods. I had the same idea but mods mostly cut off real good conversations and then it's finished. There's no insulting, very less spamming, where's the problem?
We are all mods. That's how I see it and that's how it should be handled on a forum like this.

Implementing the suggestion would lead to making the forum a more repressive place. I'm sure some interest would benefit but not the interest of free speech

elsbet

Superstar
I've been on sites with mods and they've always ended up being biased, censuring posters who had different opinions or faiths. What an unnecessary mess.

I hear you though about spammers or people who flood forums. It's really annoying. I'm not afraid of the Report button though. :D

Carolyn

Star
I think for the most part the forum does really well as it is without moderators, its built up a few good regular users who are welcoming and respectful enough of others opinions even if we don't all agree its fine, in a way this regular user base is like a form of moderation, we recognise spam and are aware of certain people who do try and ruin the forum and we all know to just report and ignore, maybe warn other users if we have to, it doesn't seem to deter new users from signing up or using the forum which is ok, not all users who are real new users will sign up and then even stay to read or post and some will, now and then we will gain more new regular users.

I think its pretty organic in a way and it seems to be going ok so its all good. It would be good if maybe one or two of the long term less biased members could have some permissions even just to sticky posts or stuff like that, not necesarrily needing permissions to ban or anything although the ability to be able to temporarily suspend or freeze an account for later deletion by VC for the really bad spambots.

Not me though cause even though I try not to be I can be biased as I am very anti religion tbh which is why I steer clear of that forum lol and I can be a snippy bitch at times especially if somebody rubs me up the wrong way. I got no patience for stupid shit like that I mean who the hell does but yeah am trying to not be but some people meh, they need a bit of a tongue lashing sometimes, not that it makes any difference. I like this forum though. Ive been and gone a few times but Ive stuck around this time cause I feel a bit more comfortable now here and I dunno its the first time Ive enjoyed being on and participating in a forum for a long time, its nice that its not facebook lol or anything like facebook and forums just seem to have been overtaken by social media so to have a forum thats doing well these days is a good thing, too many people favour the social media giants these days, dont get me wrong I hate that the only way I can really stay in reguar contact with a lot of people is through facebook.

I wonder if facebook will ever become a thing of the past and if so when? It surely cant last forever, something bigger and better has to come along and when I say better I only mean technologically cause whatever steps we gain after facebook in internet technology will probably rob us of something else because of it like we have with facebook, twitter, instagram. So depressing that this shit is so fucking popular, its breeding more narcissism!!! I get so fucking irritated when all people do is post photos of themselves all the bloody time like all fucking day every day I mean why???? Who even cares about this shit!? Go live a real life if you can!! bloody internet pros and cons eh!

rainerann

Star
^^ is this really happening right now?

CL try acting a little more “new.”

I mean seriously, you’ve technically only been here for like a week and yet you have five people picked out as moderators. One of which isnt even here that often, but somehow you seem to know him so well...

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
Overall, I don’t think we need a moderator. Sometimes, I wish someone could get banned sooner when they won’t stop posting toxic crap about seeking the devil, but for the most part, this is still one of the most mellow forums on the internet I think.

If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

Daciple

Star
No Mods, been on this site since day one, and every time Mods get in power, Drama ensues, cliques form, people try and jockey for positions to get into the "Mods" power structure there is constant narcing and complaining that narcing isnt working. Then Mods are accused of this and that, some Mods do let the power go to their heads and ugh its annoying. I have yet to see any reason why a Mod needs to be present on the forum, I do not see people going HAM in disrespect towards one another and the few issues Ive seen with 1 or 2 posters who were over the top and full of drama were taken care of by VC himself.

I appreciate the nom, but like I said years ago when the 1st Mods were being drafted, Ill never be a Mod because I would be a terrible Mod in the aspect that Im not ever gonna say or issue warnings to anyone for any reason. I personally believe in Free Speech, dont believe Hate Speech exists, so I would let everything go, even people who want to cuss me out, have at it. Worse comes to worse, put someone on ignore, which is something I have never done and dont ever plan on doing.

Again everything seems fine here, the first forum was insanity before Mods, people went crazy, but it has been and probably will be the best iteration of these Forums. Never did I see so much information flow so quickly and continuously, yeah there were some trolls and people even went as far as to cuss out and threaten some of the members, but it was by far the best, deepest and most intense exchange of information and ideas I've seen here. Mods came and then Drama over that nonsense started and took over more precedent than actual information. No Mods...

The Zone

Star
^^ is this really happening right now?

CL try acting a little more “new.”

I mean seriously, you’ve technically only been here for like a week and yet you have five people picked out as moderators. One of which isnt even here that often, but somehow you seem to know him so well...
Have you not figured it out yet? Personality #33? LOL

Also, with concern to mods, VC has said time and time again he will handle it. Maybe I missed some drama or something for I have been busy elsewhere. But it took like ten seconds to spot a certain persons return once I returned. It is not like they are hiding it and seem to get off on being discovered. I just turn a blind eye to her for the most part but their goal is to split and disrupt. So, maybe not mods, but a nut meter, or something;)

But with all due respect Disciple, I do think it is necessary to have some control and that some posters need to be reigned in. Cesspools of people cursing one another out is hardly my idea of getting good information and I choose not to wade through forums like that.

Those forums generally attract just zealous types who are not willing to discuss things but instead just rant in my experience. Any board is a reflection of the owner as well, so that comes into play. The bottom line is forums are a difficult thing in handling of issues, but in time some lines have to be drawn. I have, however, heard that mods here in the past did not work out well but I do remember one being as objective as possible in the not so distant past. I think the board can survive the occasional 24 hour meltdown before VC can remedy the situation and he seems pretty objective when doing so,

Last edited:

skycoaster

Rookie
In my personal opinion, we only need at least one moderator to ensure that trolls don't cause problems, in other words, it's doing just fine.

Haich

Superstar
I wasn't on the old boards but judging by my time on here so far, I think we've done a pretty good job of moderating the boards ourselves.

When trolls or past members resurface and cause trouble, we report it and warn eachother. I think we all have an idea of the regular members and there are a few members which come and go too. It's quite easy to spot certain drama queens and The Zone has kindly opened a thread so we can warn eachother about troublemakers.

There's that guy who keeps posting links and numbers for anyone who wants butt or boob jobs or fake documents but other than that, I'm not sure we need moderators. The issues we have on the forum we usually solve ourselves or report it.

VigilantCitizen

Administrator
Hello,
You're all doing a great job at reporting trolls and spam so I don't currently see the need for moderators. The way I see it, people here don't like being policed too much and I don't like policing too much so I will keep taking moderation actions only when absolutely necessary. Thanks for the input.

llleopard

Established
The Zone has kindly opened a thread so we can warn eachother about troublemakers.
Where is that please? I must have missed it. Someone posted a really horrible image on a thread I was reading a while back and it still creeps me out if I think about it. Would like a warning place in case something like that happens again.