Mixed Race Marriages in the South

polymoog

Superstar
My girlfriend is of a different race and from a different continent to me. We probably both assimilate a little bit of the other's culture to some extent but I certainly don't feel like either of us are losing our identity.
perhaps you wont but your kids will.

shankara

Star
perhaps you wont but your kids will.
I'd honestly be a lot more concerned about exposing kids to the brainwash of popular culture than exposing them to two different cultural backgrounds. As a European there are some things I love about Europe (Beethoven) and things I'm not such a big fan of (colonialism). Hopefully if I do end up having kids with this lady they'll be exposed to the better parts of both of our cultures and have a wider perspective on things.

Generally I feel that it's healthier to identify as "human being" than as "European", "African", "American" etc.

shankara

Star
In other words globalism. While you may not agree, I’d hope you at least see why people are against this type of thinking. I mean on this type of website and all.
Well I do think that it is important to preserve the positive aspects of national cultures. For example I really love folk music. But I think that the major threat is the uprooted and empty (mostly American) pop culture and the remedy has more to do with learning to appreciate the beauty and wisdom of our ancestors art, philosophy etc than trying to preserve some so-called racial purity or whatever.

Here there is a lot of noise made about immigration. Personally I think it's just a distraction.

Just posting this again should anyone be interested in listening to this lecture. It's by public intellectual and founder of the academic field of colonial studies, the late Edward Said. In the lecture he stated the following as he addressed Professor, Samuel P. Huntington’s essay, “The Clash of Cultures and Civilizations” :

“The weakest part of “The Clash of Cultures and Civilizations” thesis is the rigid separation assumed between them, despite the overwhelming evidence that today’s world is in fact a world of mixtures, of migrations and of crossings over of boundaries traversed. One of the major crises affecting countries like France, Britain and the US has been brought about by the realization now dawning everywhere, no culture, or society is purely one thing. Sizable minorities, North Africans in France, the African, Caribbean and Indian populations in Britain, Asian and African elements in this country (the US), dispute the idea that civilization that prided themselves on being homogeneous can continue to do so. There are no insulated cultures or civilizations. Any attempt made to separate them into the water-tight compartments alleged by Huntington and ilk does damage to their variety, their diversity and their sheer complexity of their elements, their radical hybridity. The more insistent we are on the separation of cultures, the more inaccurate we are about ourselves and about others.” (source)

Vixy

Star
Sorry but I just had this vision when I saw the headline of the following scene (Imagine it with a heavy carolina accent)

-Hey maaa! I found this here negro I liiked an' we 'bout ta git married!

*Awkward silence*

Devine

Star
I need more time to read through this thread but i'm leaving this here

All I have to say at the moment is I DARE you to watch regular TV and find ANY commercial that does not feature an interracial couple, currently. I literally dare you.

Yellowbunzz tasty

Established
The late Southafrican jazz musician, Hugh Masekela, said that kids are slowly forgetting their native tongues.

And when a culture loses its language, it dies. Similar stories are coming out of India and China because the global marketplace demands english. If you want to stop it, you have to stop globalization or selling the idea that all things western are the best there are and that other cultures are savage/primitive (obviously, never going to happen). European culture was directly tied to Christianity but now that it is post-Christian, there is a loss of identity/ culture and the ensuing grappling about.
true...my zulu has become quite broken due to speaking English all the time.

Yellowbunzz tasty

Established
It seems to me that mix racing is promoted more towards the African American community. For one it’s used as a tool to prevent generational wealth among African Americans example celebrities. It’s also used as a form of self-hate. Mixing is a way to wash away some of your blackness ( Michael Jackson) and also promoted as a way to climb the social ladder.

Celebrity black men with black women are rarely promoted in the media. Celebrity men in IR relationships are rewarded and held to a higher standard. All these things are done intentionally.

Love who you want. However there is a war on black love. It’s all about the erasure of blackness, to prevent generational wealth, to further devalue blackness etc etc......

Imo it’s rarely ever done for the right reason. In a lot of cultures, for example Asian women are raised to date white men. They think they will have a better life. Same in different African cultures, like Nigeria for example. They are taught to seek out white men. Some may deny it, but it’s true.

Anyway. It seems to always be an ulterior motive outside of love. Not for all but most.
I always found that weird and it almost seems like a requirement for rappers or black male entertainers. There was even this interview with one of the B2K members, I think Raz-B who spoke on how one of the producers made fun of his black girlfriend forcing him to date out while also constantly molesting them.

Vmort

Star
DIFFERENT RACES HAVE BIOLOGICAL DIFFERENCES
Organs didn't connect. While Aryans have their own government it was forbidden beacuse kids didn't survive -- having autism and the rest. Hivites pushed it while they forbid it for their own race.
HIVITES FORBID THE OTHER RACES TO KNOW THIER GENEPOOL
Becasue they want to live and for 90 of you they want to extinct.
HIVITES FORBID THE OTHER RACES TO KNOW THIER GENEPOOL
Becasue they want to live and for 90 of you they want to extinct.