MGMT on privacy

A.J.

Star
Interesting read from synth pop band MGMT, Im not sure what to make of them ... ( they seem to poke fun of Illuminati in vids & pics )

BG: Andrew writes the lyrics, but I can say that things are approaching the point of becoming completely ridiculous in terms of some of what America is doing. It’s getting to the point where I really can’t say that I trust the government to do what’s best for me at all. But at the same time it doesn’t have anything to do with political parties. I just don’t feel safe at this point. I don’t have complete confidence that people in this country can just take their freedom for granted the way they have been for a long time.
In what sense?
BG: There are some basic freedoms that people should have that are being systematically violated, and that’s scary. But a lot of overtly political music annoys me. Music is a higher art and not just about topical songs. For me, it’s about sound and having a transcendental experience through sound, and I think words can sometimes get in the way of that if they’re too literal…
AVW: You know, our music isn’t topical in the sense of having an obvious connection to any political movement or current event. The music is more addressing the feelings we get when we ask ourselves if and how we want to address that stuff. It’s more connecting to a current consciousness or feeling that, having played shows all over the world and meeting lots of people, seems common everywhere. Like Ben said, it’s way bigger than political parties, but it’s also very hard to define or talk about it. However, I know it exists. I think of it as a sensation where everything appears OK but with an underlying sense that it’s all wrong. It’s hard to say why and even when you try to say why it’s like that, something cuts you off. I’m not good at describing or defining it. It’s fear. Without being totally aware of it, I’ve been living my life since high school assuming that everything I type or write or every website I go to, somebody else is seeing it. I think a lot of other people feel the same way, but it wasn’t until more recently that most people stopped thinking just casually about it and started thinking that it was fucked up. Ben and I stay pretty up to date with the news, but we never really want to put it in our music unless it’s in an encrypted manner. I don’t know if that’s about a fear of directly addressing it, but if someone were to come out and go full Bob Dylan, I don’t know if it would even fit in this day and age.

Interesting comments, but the music industry is the psychological weapon of the very forces he speaks of that are listening to and reading everything he posts online. I also am familiar with this band and have 3 or 4 albums. Time to Pretend was straight outa Tavistock music. Also the photos of the two main guys always look like standard Hollywood Illuminati shots- you know hide one eye, make a triangle with your fingers, 666 sign, etc.

A.J.

Star
Interesting comments, but the music industry is the psychological weapon of the very forces he speaks of that are listening to and reading everything he posts online. I also am familiar with this band and have 3 or 4 albums. Time to Pretend was straight outa Tavistock music. Also the photos of the two main guys always look like standard Hollywood Illuminati shots- you know hide one eye, make a triangle with your fingers, 666 sign, etc.
Yeah, strange dudes for sure. I guess it doesn’t take much to $ell your $oul.