Merry Christmas

FilthPig

Veteran
Uh we are no longer allowed to celebrate Christmas because the all knowing ones have declared it to be a pagan holiday.
Winter solstice have had many meanings for different peoples in history and they used different symbols/archetypes to tell their version about it.
Largely winter solstice symbolizes lights victory over darkness, (days start to get longer again). Light ofcourse is also an symbol for wisdom,divinity etc . So in a way its also a time to celebrate the universal goodnes/light dominating over evil/darkness which in a way starts from individuals victory over darkness inside them ,a time to "lighten up" your soul by being/doing good.
"In these dire circumstances, may light and wisdom of the inner life prevail over the outer, material life , in order that love and compassion defeat ignorance, arrogance and pride."

I dont celebrate christmas or any other holiday or astrological event but i do like when others celebrate it. It is pleasant to have people around you in high spirits and in joyful mood but it is sad that they are doing it "on a schedule" and largely just because everyone else are doing it.
Also materialistic people love it because they will get more stuff which they associate with happyness..
Gifts should be meaningful and useful and they shouldnt be done "on a schedule ". Much more fun when you receive something unexpectedly and when you surprise someone with unexpected gift.
That sort of gift has an extra meaning as it shows a person devouted some time and thought for another person (unselfish act,for atleast a moment they were not thinking about themself or doing something for themself).Which ofcourse isnt the case when the gift is done for wrong reasons (to make someone like you more or expecting them to give you something back,the gift is a form of bribe etc).

DavidSon

Star
Winter solstice have had many meanings for different peoples in history and they used different symbols/archetypes to tell their version about it.
Largely winter solstice symbolizes lights victory over darkness, (days start to get longer again). Light ofcourse is also an symbol for wisdom,divinity etc . So in a way its also a time to celebrate the universal goodnes/light dominating over evil/darkness which in a way starts from individuals victory over darkness inside them ,a time to "lighten up" your soul by being/doing good.
"In these dire circumstances, may light and wisdom of the inner life prevail over the outer, material life , in order that love and compassion defeat ignorance, arrogance and pride."
It's funny I still hear small references to burning "the Yultide log", which I think has a relation to these pre-Christian beliefs you're describing. The name Yule always creeps me out (pobably my Christian upbringing) but interesting to know how many Northern/European cultures have kept the tradition alive.

Daze

Superstar
Whatever you do this Christmas, try to forget the fact that Bethlehem (the place where Jesus was born) has cancelled it due to Israeli aggression.

Also, try to ignore the fact that Palestinian Christians are nearly wiped out. As this might put a damper on your festivities.
Do what @e-Enoch and @Red Sky at Morning do and cheer it on!

Unpopular opinion: even though i dont celebrate this, i'd rather have this kind of music playing in public than the usual crude and lewd earworms that we're subjected to when trying to exist in public. I could be wrong, but as far as i know most of these songs dont have profanity and are reminiscent of a (slightly) less degenerate time...

Hey... is that why some people like them?