Merciful Servant sees Muhammad in Isaiah 42, but was there a smudge in his Bible?

OK, were there other scriptures categorically mentioned in the Koran that supposedly came from God other than the Torah, Injeel, Zaboor and the Koran itself?
The Scrolls of Abraham (aṣ-Ṣuḥufu ’l-Ūlā), the Book of John the Baptist (Kitāb Yaḥyā), the Books of Divine Wisdom (az-Zubur) and the Book of Enlightenment (Kitābu ’l-Munīr) are all other ones mentioned, but none of them are the four supreme Revelations (Torah, Zaboor, Injeel and Qur'an) of which are the 'patriarchal' Books of Revelation.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
My own views on that book are complex, I've read a lot of scholarship on it (both religious by Jews and Christians, as well as secular) and I am of two minds about it.
There is clear Prophetic revelation there in it and it is one of the most Islamic books in the entire Bible with a lot of connections but at the same time it's clearly undergone massive additions since the historical Isaiah (who is not doubtfully a real person), which sheds issues with taking it at face value.
My own concerns are more about it's actual authenticity rather than whether it prophecies Muhammad or not, when it clearly has some kind of overshadowing (even hypothetically if it wasn't really to Muhammad), in a much more unabashed way than if we were to apply the same alleged passages to Jesus.
What would be the implications for your world view if you believed it to be authentic?

And therefore, likewise the Book of Isaiah (according to the Koran)?
It isn't mentioned. But remember what I said about the word "Torah" itself in the Jewish context. Whilst Isaiah is cited very often in the New Testament, it's even more heavily cited in Judaism (it's recited in synagogue services by-tradition, for instance), it's exulted far above the other Nevi'im. Nothing else has the same level of importance in Judaism than Pentateuch, Talmud and Isaiah. Just important to keep in mind there.

What would be the implications for your world view if you believed it to be authentic?
Well I already stated above didn't I? it's just a Prophetic (in the 2nd-hand) text that predicted Muhammad. We still have various other contexts to keep in consideration, as people in general, to how we would respond to such a thing. If not, there is no baring on me either way because I'm opposed to proselytizing, so I wouldn't shove it down your throat if it was the case.

Textually it deals with several different kinds of things at different levels towards different prophetic aims.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It isn't mentioned. But remember what I said about the word "Torah" itself in the Jewish context. Whilst Isaiah is cited very often in the New Testament, it's even more heavily cited in Judaism (it's recited in synagogue services by-tradition, for instance), it's exulted far above the other Nevi'im. Nothing else has the same level of importance in Judaism than Pentateuch, Talmud and Isaiah. Just important to keep in mind there.
I find it interesting that it has 66 chapters, correlating either by coincidence or design to the 66 books in the Bible...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I'm opposed to proselytizing, so I wouldn't shove it down your throat if it was the case.
Put another way, if there was a great restaurant in town and you are my friend who only knows about the transport cafe next to your road, should I tell you or keep it to myself?

I hope you realise that this in the only kind of proselytising I believe in!

Axl888

Established
The Scrolls of Abraham (aṣ-Ṣuḥufu ’l-Ūlā), the Book of John the Baptist (Kitāb Yaḥyā), the Books of Divine Wisdom (az-Zubur) and the Book of Enlightenment (Kitābu ’l-Munīr)
Except for The Scrolls of Abraham (supposedly Sefer Yetzirah), are there actual texts/manuscripts or proof that these other "scriptures" mentioned in the Koran really existed?

Except for The Scrolls of Abraham (supposedly Sefer Yetzirah), are there actual texts/manuscripts or proof that these other "scriptures" mentioned in the Koran really existed?
Sefer Yetzirah? lmfao, that is a 10th century text.

As the the latter question, not anymore or less than there is evidence of Abraham himself even being a historical person. That's just me being frank there. Either way we have to refer to texts (Genesis/Bereshit and the Qur'an) which appeared in history up to, what, say, 30,000 years after Abraham lived.

The Book of John the Baptist may have connection with the GInza Rba though but I'm not going to claim that.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
To a wider question, that of inspiration, given the level of culture and learning at the time of writing the various books of the Bible, other than by the prompting of God, how would the writers have known such a diverse range of facts that would later be verified by science?