Media Defense of Biden and the End of Free Speech

Thunderian

Superstar
Today Glenn Greenwald resigned from The Intercept, which he helped found, because the editors demanded he remove anything critical of Joe Biden before they’d publish his work.

Greenwald won a Pulitzer for his work about Edward Snowden, and has done extensive and important reporting on human rights and government surveillance. I don’t agree with him politically but I respect his work and his principles.

His resignation on principle is shockingly and sadly rare these days. The media, as biased and slanted as it has always been, used to at least attempt to seek the truth, and most of them were honest enough in reporting facts and letting the chips fall where they may.

What we’ve seen from the media, not only just recently, but certainly more aggressively and openly lately, in regards to covering up the unsavoury things about their preferred candidate, while spreading outright lies about his opponent, is downright horrifying. There is no version of a free and healthy media that includes the suppression of facts.

I’m afraid that Greenwald will be one of the few who take this kind of stand, and by the time more join him, it will be too late. We’ve seen that social media can’t be relied on, and it doesn’t take too much imagination to see how quickly our sources of information can be controlled by the people who can’t abide free speech.

The fact that the media is working with social media to prevent evidence of Joe Biden’s corruption from getting to American voters should put a chill in the heart of every person who cherishes free speech. We’ve seen canceling, deplatforming, and other forms of denial of free speech in the last few years, but never has it been so nakedly apparent. And never has it been welcomed, or at least tolerated, by so much of the population.

It’s not a political statement, but a plain statement of fact, that if Biden is elected this kind of censorship will only get worse. If you don’t believe me, look at the people who are doing the censoring now, and imagine them with the political power to start silencing everyone who disagrees with them.

Freedom of speech is how we secure all the other ones. Giving power over free speech to people who can’t be trusted with it, or really, any people at all, is the biggest mistake a people can make.