Media Bias - From The Left

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
A lot of the media which gets called-out, debunked, discredited and downright decimated in these forums comes from sources many would deem "conservative".... if those sources are being honest, many of them would admit that the public perception of these outlets is not only correct, these reputations are cultivated intentionally. Conservative/neo-con, right wing/alt-right, Nationalist and etc. are secular titles/movements/ideologies which have aligned to present themselves as simultaneously both tried-and-true-traditionalists & the purveys of fresh ideas..... the alternative & the solution....... in-short, "Im not just the president, Im also a client"........ but they need a method and means to get out the good word. Media. Yet their message continues to fall flat with most of America, so they are left with a devoted, albeit minority, base with which maintain their present position while harboring hopes of bringing in future members. They need a quality media campaign, point blank.

However their hypocritical, morally compromised to the extreme political performance and results, combined with naked corruption, have resulted in a sloth of effort concerning public outreach. Their political machine has become so dysfunctional that it apparently no longer sees the value in maintaining a veneer of actual competency & honor. There is little effort made to offer rational excuses or denials as ham-fisted, short-on-facts rhetoric dominates conservative media outlets. The few platforms which manage to successfully sustain their operations, by-and-large, adopt a Fox news strategy of ignoring/evading coverage of serious issues in favor of fluff content and, increasingly, outraged opinion pieces. When there is breaking news or stories too big to ignore, the heavy slant ensures that what is presented for consumption is convenient and hollow, agenda-driven propaganda so lacking in substance that it cannot withstand even in-house scrutiny.... thus the great effort made in controlling the image and narrative (everything from the model/actor "newscasters" to the manufactured "studios" and the manicured "on-the-spot/ground" reporting), as opposed to presenting the facts, eye-witness account & expert analysis news is supposed to be responsible for. In summary, its such a compromised product that its hard to take serious outside of the context that it still presents a serious threat due to its legions of "true-believers" whom tune in to knowingly consume the lies & red-meat rhetoric.

But what about the left? A hallmark claim of leftist or progressive journalism was that not only would it tell the truth regarding the "other side", but was also pledged to hold to account its own ranks as well. The "left" was never intended to operate as a voting block and fundraising extension of the Democratic party and certainly not as a progressive cred-granting bellwether. It was indeed a strength of these progressive and liberal movements that they held themselves to the same, rigid standards of honesty which they demanded of their opposition.

Unfortunately, much of what passes for "progressive" journalism today is little more than partisan & ideology driven narrative-speak of its own. Many progressive sources no longer exist while mega-corporations such as MSNBC, the Huffington Post and others muscle true progressive outfits off the landscape, presenting themselves as the alternative to "conservative" media. If they are such an alternative, why is their playbook so similar?
Why are they so willing to outright lie on the air & print?
Why have they become so blatant with their agenda pushing?
Why are they now so selective regarding targets of investigation and reporting?
Why are they pushing hard for that which they were recently opposed to I.E. corporatism, financial austerity, military conflict & etc?

I will give a few examples both general and specific and hope that we can have some honest discussion about the subject:
Democracy Now - For years DN has been a standard-setter for progressive journalism. At one point they were probably the most successful, or at least most widely recognized, progressive news alternative in America if not the entire English speaking world. Amy Goodman & co. have enjoyed an almost carte-blanch status among the left as their coverage has been accepted without question. However they have a deep lgbt/abortion agenda bias which permeates most any coverage they offer on those topics. They have presented segments as factual regarding both topics which are so extremely slanted that their objectivity is voided on these issues. They have intentionally aired propaganda that was either untruthful or outright false in promotion of these agendas and it has compromised their integrity. Their wavering on the Sanders/Clinton primary scandal and promotion of conflict & American authoritarianism as a counter-strategy to Trump is also problematic. They still do a lot of excellent reporting, which is another reason its such a bummer that they compromise themselves.

MSNBC - No outlet is pushing harder for all-out war with Russia and Iran & continued involvement with Syria. None. The breakneck pace Chris Hays and Rachel Maddow have ramped up their hysterical anti-Putin/Russia rhetoric has reached a point that its clearly not just an anti-Trump bias, because initially it was just a cheap distraction for why Hillary Clinton lost the election and the voluminous scandals associated with Kill/Shill/Billaries courtiers of cretins which were percolating with the public. At this juncture the MSNBC talking heads are, very obviously and intentionally, serving their masters agenda via the daily propaganda campaign they blitz the airwaves with. Both have been so outstandingly wrong with so much of what they provide as "news" to the public. Both have outright lied in order to call for war with Russia ,and Iran via proxy. Both howl for more blood and treasure to spill in Syria while blaming the democratically elected leader of that nation for all manner of heinous war crimes.... no matter if the evidence leads back to D.C. (Obama AND Trump regimes) or not. Both were beyond complicit in the 2016 Democratic party rigged primaries. Both were involved in the primaries rigging itself and then in the subsequent cover-up. Both were among the most active of the press corp in discrediting the pizzagate story & the Clinton crews involvement with Jeffery Epstein and other vile actors. These are the "progressives" who rally around traitors and war criminals such as "Mad Dog" Mattis & Flynn because it seems momentarily advantageous in their anti-Trump campaign and advise/terrorize their viewers to support such legal charlatans Mueller & Comey and the rest of the FBI/CIA.

The Young Turks - TYT have established themselves as probably the premier brand of progressive/alternative media. They haven't replaced/eclipsed Democracy Now, however they do offer a much larger and more accessible platform along with multiple-program content. TYT has secured its own channel on the youtubeTV streaming service which places them alongside such industry heavyweights as MSNBC, Fox, CNN, HLN and etc. Although their style lends to a more informal rapport and connection with their audience and they are more open with their opinions regarding the news presented, their fact checking is usually outstanding and they have had an excellent reputation for scrupulous, honest fact and cite/sourcing. As noted, their opinion bias is at times strong, however its not hidden and some care is usually given to providing an alternate perspective, if not an outright voice or guest. Recently they seem to have reached a crossroads as their content has become more opinion-driven, at times admitting that they dont care whats actually "right or "wrong". Perhaps their most popular contributor, Jimmy Dore, engaged in very heated exchanges with other TYT personalities regarding the corruption of the Democratic party and its subsequent pushes for military conflicts, the primary rigging, the outcome of "All Blue" voting strategies and etc. while acquiescing to any demand issued forth by the Republican party, irregardless of public mandate. They seem to have learned some from these interactions and Dore's popularity as they have become more willing to admit/call out Democratic party shenanigans. However, they just cant seem to call it down the line, and thats a shame... here is a recent example I noticed.......
In this piece I was expecting for host Ana Kasparian, one of the two main TYT anchors, to offer forth typical, Maddow-esque, garbled garbage which would avoid what credible reports (some of them from posters right here on the VC forums!) have clearly stated.... that these protests are a spontaneous reaction, comprised of various groups and individuals from sometimes disparate backgrounds but whom have all had enough and are subordinating their agendas to a degree that allows for them to ally in defiance of injustice. It might not be a perfect union (none exists), there might be actors there considered unsavory or even diametrically opposed to each other.... but they all wish for common decency, liberty and the right to exist without living as serfs and slaves. So I was happy to learn of Kasparian's generally comprehensive perspective on the situation there..... right up until 7:37 where she couldn't help but simplify & vilify the immigration reform contingent of the protesters. It was a cheap shot that causes me to question what else she would attempt such a dishonest tactic in regards to........
Here is the afore mentioned Jimmy Dore calling out the establishment media's anti-Trump/pro-misery bias.......

The Huffington Post is such a compromised wreck that its not really worth savaging here. Its agendas are pushed open & obviously while the site serves as an important vehicle for Democratic party and neo-liberal talking points dissemination to the masses.

I would like to leave the good posters of the fine VC Forums with a bit of truth from perhaps an unlikely source. And Id also like to offer for thought the notion that what he says does not just apply to the MSM, but is applicable to any and all media whom presents itself as a news & information source.

Last edited:

Helioform

Star
TYT is probably the only real progressive channel out there, with over 4M subscribers so they have a lot of influence.

One problem though is that they seem to suffer from "Trump Derangement Syndrome", as they call it, since it seems that 90% of their videos is about Trump or something related to him. CNN and MSNBC are guilty of that also. Trump misspells a word (something that he does often) in a tweet, and they all make a video about it.

Another problem is that sometimes they become the left's equivalent of Alex Jones, with video titles such as "Cenk DESTROYS (insert leftist opponent here)" and blatant displays of anger, complete with fist poundings on the counter and foul language. Don't know if it's just acting as well, but clearly they try to be provocative and become sensationalists.

Overall, I would say that they are more entertainers than actual journalists. They don't try to make themselves look like a news channel too much anyway since a lot of their content is opinion based.

As for the other "news sources" you have mentionned, they are all corporate whores who are only looking for good ratings and are not real leftists, obviously. I don't know why you even brought up MSNBC...

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
TYT is probably the only real progressive channel out there, with over 4M subscribers so they have a lot of influence.

One problem though is that they seem to suffer from "Trump Derangement Syndrome", as they call it, since it seems that 90% of their videos is about Trump or something related to him. CNN and MSNBC are guilty of that also. Trump misspells a word (something that he does often) in a tweet, and they all make a video about it.

Another problem is that sometimes they become the left's equivalent of Alex Jones, with video titles such as "Cenk DESTROYS (insert leftist opponent here)" and blatant displays of anger, complete with fist poundings on the counter and foul language. Don't know if it's just acting as well, but clearly they try to be provocative and become sensationalists.

Overall, I would say that they are more entertainers than actual journalists. They don't try to make themselves look like a news channel too much anyway since a lot of their content is opinion based.

As for the other "news sources" you have mentionned, they are all corporate whores who are only looking for good ratings and are not real leftists, obviously. I don't know why you even brought up MSNBC...
TYT is usually impeccable when it comes to the facts they present. I rarely catch them airing something factually incorrect and when there has been an issue, they seem fairly decent about issuing retractions/updates to clarify the mistake. My main problem is that their fine factual reporting is drenched in personal opinions and politics. Which I imagine is a big draw for many of their viewers, but Imo that can compromise their reliability rating just because TYTs content is so heavily saddled with opinion and yes, some vulgarity as well.

I brought MSNBC up because they are presented by the establishment media (and accepted by many "progressives") as the liberal-voice in news media. Its a blatant lie and deserves to be addressed imo.

Aero

Superstar
A news channel that tries to make people think is like opening a steakhouse in the Vegan capital of America. So it's not a mystery that the news media is offering a niche product. And it's not a mystery why they stay in their specific lanes. Therefore it's up to us as consumers to change our behavior.

I like to think, but people don't. That's why I also equate an individual person to a niche product. Everyone is just doing whatever they can to survive while typically staying in their own lanes. This is fine because I think it keeps people psychologically balanced. But it's a problem when the lines of the lanes get blurred.

Maybe it's just me and this is my take on my own personal knowledge. But it just seems like a long time ago people figured out how much idolization screws people up. And they went all in on it. Plus entire industries thrive off idolization. So who is actually going to go against all of that?