Luxottica who owns Ray-ban has been chipping all Ray-ban products with RFID chip

catalenaah

Rookie
Hello guys, I was at a meeting last night with a designer from Luxottica (I work in optical) when they announced the RFID chip inside frames (which they couldn't tell us where it's being placed). This is on their website:
Luxottica is constantly searching for new ways to make more effective the fight against counterfeiting and counter the expansion of the parallel market that diverts goods to unauthorized sales channels. The phenomenon threatens the companies' identity - expressed through the strength of the brands and the quality of products - the solidity of the official markets (particularly eyewear), the health of consumers who buy poor and unsecured products.
In this context, Luxottica has developed GLOW (Guaranteed Luxottica Origin Worldwide), an innovative traceability system based on RFID technology which allows to verify the authenticity of the products as well as suitability of resellers through a sensor (RFID TAG) embedded in the frame. The device contains key information to identify unambiguously each pair of glasses, from production to sales destination. It is passive (emits no radio waves) so it is safe for health and does not record personal data but only delivers information about the products.
GLOW allows the Group to intensify controls throughout the supply chain, taking the necessary corrective measures to protect our brands as well as our clients and end consumers who rely on our company for the high quality of products and services.
GLOW is a global project available for the best-selling models of our house brands and still under development. Reports of possible violations shall be sent by the authorized retailers to Luxottica through email or dedicated app.
The implementation of this energetic anti-counterfeiting program enables Luxottica to send a strong message both to infringers and to its authorized distribution network. Exercising its rights against retailers of counterfeit eyewear, their wholesalers and manufacturers, meanwhile Luxottica highlights its authorized distributors the great value given to its intellectual property and that it constantly works to protect it.

I went up to the rep and asked him if our customers should be aware of the product they are buying has a RFID chip, he said "No, they don't have to know" I told him it makes me uncomfortable as a customer I would never buy Ray-ban due to it being tracked and not letting the customers know, he said there's no need to let them know that I better not say anything (he is aware it is a violation of privacy) For those of you who might say that our cellphones track us etc YES however we all get a agreement of use which we all scroll down and accept and with these glasses there's no acknowledgment upfront etc. He also mentioned they've been inserting the RFID chip for the past year and a half

polymoog

Superstar
we can deactivate it by microwaving the glasses, right? ive fried the ones that were implanted in my <wont say publicly on a forum> and that worked great. 10 seconds and its zapped.

i appreciate the heads up. luxxotica, i understand, owns almost everything in the glasses biz (save for walmart/sams club and the small fraction of eyeglass labs and stores still left).

catalenaah

Rookie
we can deactivate it by microwaving the glasses, right? ive fried the ones that were implanted in my <wont say publicly on a forum> and that worked great. 10 seconds and its zapped.

i appreciate the heads up. luxxotica, i understand, owns almost everything in the glasses biz (save for walmart/sams club and the small fraction of eyeglass labs and stores still left).
They really do, LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, dolce and gabbana, Versace, Ralph Lauren, Tiffany, and many many more they are the wealthiest optical business. FYI most ray ban products are manufactured in China too, not worth the price. Thanks i didn’t know how to remove them but one thing is for sure I will never buy Luxottica again. Thankfully I don’t work for them