"Lovecraft Country" on NETFLIX is Satanic p***philia at its WORST

Lleo Oneiro

Yuggoth - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Yuggoth Yuggoth (or Iukkoth) is a fictional planet in the Cthulhu Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft. It is deemed to be located at the very edge of the Solar System.

Typhonian Order - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Typhonian_Order ... like the Cthulhu Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft. Crowley's depiction of Lam does indeed presage descriptions and representations of extraterrestrial entities which ...

peridot

Established
I have not seen "Lovecraft Country" on Netflix, so I can't speak specifically to that. (Although most on this site have had our shady suspect opinions of Netflix for awhile)

I HAVE seen the HBO version via DVD, so I will comment on that one. (maybe this is the same as what you are thinking, @
Lleo Oneiro)

"Unfortunately" I did see the whole "first season" of it, and hopefully, there will NOT be anymore of that series, which is why I comment on it.
Pros, it was VERY well done, and very creative on the makers part.
But it is also one of the most perverse shows that did not involve outright satanism I've seen in a long time. No messing with kids, though that was one of the small positives.

peridot

Established
I don't have to be subtle today, so my next few posts are ALL SPOILERS: you've been warned.

Quick summary: This is a horror series which showcases a recently returned American Korean War veteran dealing with family revelations.

What is extraordinary about this plot is that when he discovers he is a direct descendant of the powerful head of a group of witches, he has to plot a way to prevent the rest of the coven(s) from destroying him and his family in their quest for power.

Atticus, called "Tic, because Atticus is a mouthful,” is a young man that returns to Chicago after his engagement in the Korean war. The first few scenes of the show involve him dozing while reading a sci-fi book on a bus as it leaves Kentucky. VERY quickly you realize that because this guy is black, and this is the 1950s, things will NOT progress as you would normally expect.

peridot

Established
This racial aspect makes this series a fascinatingly insidious tale. Listening to the featurettes after the story showed that the creators deliberately infused this element to show people of color in prominent positions where they are decidedly excluded, or nominally included for immediate disposal. One of the producers specifically mentions this being a fantasy blend of Harry Potter and sci-fi tales where black kids can see representation. Plus they throw in interesting references to the 1912 Tulsa riots, and travel guides so those of African ancestry could travel safely while driving through 1950s USA.

Having watched it, i would definitely include Indiana Jones, Disney, Star Trek, Star Wars, and the Percy Jackson series, so on that level, it exceeded expectations. Plus, as I said earlier, both the story and presentation was extremely well done. In addition, and probably to cover all their “representation bases,” the show also gives prominent parts to those of African, Asian, and European ancestry, as well as interracial and alternative sexual relationships, and includes pre-teens through senior aged individuals in other major roles.

The PROBLEM is that the whole theme of the series is literally extolling the glories of black folks teaming up with monsters and magic to defeat evil people. This is neither accidental or incidental. Yes, there are actual monsters, creatures as well as humans, and the magic is not the cutsey Disney variety. Blood, gore, and coitus are plainly displayed, and use to accomplish incantations successfully, as well as ending in complete destruction if performed incorrectly.. English explanations are given, and ritual language is used for multiple minutes. Several characters are very familiar with orthodox Christianity, and have deliberately combined it with or rejected it in favor of undisguised occult magic to accomplish goals they see unmet in Jesus. The series ends with Atticus’ success (at least the part of it I saw -- I don't know if there is a Part 2).

peridot

Established
I have seen a lot of the Disney type fantasy in my life. But not until my adult years have I observed how “types” are displayed. I am not an occultist, so I am sure some one with more knowledge can elucidate further. But I have seen these typs of magic:

“Born that way:” unicorns, “special people/creatures,” talking/gifted aninmals, pegasus minus the Zeus connection, the Heros and/or X-men series.

This kind of magic is “just ‘cause” the being appear in that universe with that ability. Humans were born the ability of speech, the “specials” were born with the ability to teleport, end of story. The key is that the individual is a "fairly" normal earth creature (human or otherwise) that just happens to have a special ability because it is innate to them for no reason (at least provided by the story).

“Oopsie-cadabra”: some event/accident happened, and a creature has enhanced ability, a la radioactive spider in Spiderman, or a lightining strike imparting telekinesis. Sometimes it happens because the individual just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and stuff happened.

“Worked/Earned it”: The individual specifically practices to develop a skill in magic. This is usually a point that said story takes pains to show who are the “good” practicers and the “bad” practicers.

"I am Magic:" These are deities, self-professed or otherwise, spirits, demons, angels, aliens, and the like. Unlike the "Born That Way Crowd," these entities are neither human or earth produced. They are deliberately supernatural, not bound to normal earth physics, and disdain to be. For the sake of argument, I'm including fairies, imps, trolls, elves, gnomes, etc in this group as well. Like the "Worked/Earned It" crowd, story makers often take great pains to show who is "good" or "bad."

At least they did.

I’m sure it started earlier than Harry Potter, but that’s when I noticed, at least for children stories, there was a distinct blurring of when the magic was supposed to be “good” vs “bad” . I remember when folks were arguing the merits of Harry Potter by saying Harry and his friends always worked for the good. But they fail to mention the times they used their magic to deliberately break rules ostensibly established for their good. Furthermore, the makers of said rules, while mad at first, soon give their complicit agreement with the infractions. This happens multiple times, and in itself demonstrates an occultic principle: “Rules are for the uninitiated.” As long as you know what you’re doing you can “do what thou wilt.”

The Lovecraft County series dumps innocents into a harrowing battle of occult power grabs. The innocents at first latch onto occult power just survive the onslaught. Who would blame them, right? (I am certain that is the story's justification) They are normal humans pitted in a path of Worked it/Earned It "bad" guys.

But as the series progress, these individuals deliberately chose occult power. it is still touted as “protection,” almost as if they need audience buy-in to why this is still ok. But the characters start to witness and experience that this “power” can do more than protect. As one character flatly states “with magic, you can do anything you want.”
The innocents become Worked it/Earned It folks. The series ends at the point they can still (mostly) be considered "good." But it's that "mostly" part that shows this might not last long.

peridot

Established
I used "insidious" for a reason.

Like I said earlier, this movie can be summarized "black folks side with monster to fight bad guys."
But this idea is introduced with intention:
Other choices are presented
The occultic choice is recognized as evil according to orthodox Christianity, which is presented as a viable standard of good,
at least for a hot second.
The other choices are rejected in favor of the occult.
The occult is chosen because it is presented at the viable option with the least disadvantages.

Sure, you can die, and horribly if you do it wrong, but as long as you're careful....

So that "if you're careful" statement is flatly FALSE on so many levels, but the premise makes for good movie watching. Especially in the face of literal monsters, and killing, cursing, conniving racists tormenting innocent people minding their own business.
The whole show is designed to lull you into the sense that the protagonists have made the best and most satisfying choice. And the added benefit? If you're black, Asian, or otherwise sex-ated, you now have at least one effective solution for your tormentors.