"Lord"

Jslim

Rookie
"Lord" is a European term for someone in favor of the king, by and under him, who is granted land and a title. To suggest that God the All-Mighty is a "lord" is also blasphemous.

Dalit

Star
Yet because I now know that in Hebrew the word for lord is baal or ba'al and Ba'al was the false god/idol of the pagans, I feel a bit uncomfortable with calling Yah/God "Lord" so I don't usually. Alpha and Omega, Aleph and the Tav communicates the same thing yet in less potentially inflammatory language.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Words shift in meaning through the centuries. What a word initially denoted may shift through time and use, as the example of the word "treacle" illustrates:-

"The long history of "treacle" begins in ancient Greece. The Greek word thēriakos, meaning "of a wild animal," came from "thērion" ("wild animal"). Since wild animals are often known to bite, these words gave rise to thēriakē,meaning "antidote against a poisonous bite." Latin borrowed thēriakē as "theriaca," and the word eventually entered Anglo-French - and then Middle English - as "triacle." The senses of "treacle" that refer to molasses developed from the earlier "antidote" sense. The "molasses" sense, in turn, was extended to give us a word for things excessively sweet or sentimental."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/treacle#note-1

Now, I might feel uncomfortable putting a wild animal into my baking but if I were to relax into the modern meaning, I would be able to do so without my conscience troubling me!