LGBTQ activists block Tel Aviv Pride March: 'There is no pride in occupation'

Bacsi

Star
LGBTQ activists block Tel Aviv Pride March: 'There is no pride in occupation'
The activists were protesting what they called the Israeli government’s cynical exploitation of the LGBTQ community to appear liberal and progressive and cover up its violation of Palestinians’ human rights in Gaza and the West Bank.
View attachment 9139
Several hundred LGBTQ activists briefly blocked the path of the Pride Parade in Tel Aviv on Friday. The activists said they were protesting the Israeli government’s use of the LGBTQ community to cover up its discriminatory and racist policies and the maintenance of the occupation of the West Bank and siege of Gaza.

The activists voluntarily dispersed when police declared it an illegal demonstration.

The demonstrators claimed that the Israeli government is exploiting the LGBTQ community to present itself as liberal while violating the rights of Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza. The anti-pinkwashing activists said they wanted to remind the Pride Parade participants that while they were celebrating and demonstrating in Tel Aviv, those demonstrating in Gaza at the same time were risking their lives.

“We came here to protest against the cynical exploitation of the LGBTQ struggle for the good of the Israeli government’s crimes, which is why we came with a fence,” said Tamar Ben David, one of the demonstrators. “While we’re demonstrating here, just a few kilometers away [Israeli soldiers] are shooting people exercising the right to protest.”

“Our struggle as LGBTQ people is not disconnected from the struggle for the rights of others,” Yuli Novak said. “In every struggle that celebrates freedom and liberation, we will be here to [protest] the crimes committed in our names.”

Below is the full text of a flyer activists handed out to participants during the march.
We don’t want to bring down the mood, we swear. We are queers who want to celebrate our amazing identities and struggle for our rights together. But not at the expense of the rights of others.​

The Israel government is exploiting us to appear liberal and progressive, while violating the rights of Palestinians on a regular basis — this is called pinkwashing. The government markets Tel Aviv as a city of freedom, and yet 70 kilometers away from here there are two million Palestinians jailed in Gaza. The army says its gay friendly, but it uses intelligence information gathered about Palestinians’ sexual orientation as blackmail.​

Rights are for everyone. We are speaking about the right to marry, while the government prevents family unification between Israeli citizens and Palestinians who live in the West Bank or Gaza. We are struggling for the right to be registered as the parents of our children and raise them in our houses while hundreds of Palestinian children sit in Israeli jails.​

Political protest is the heart of the Pride March. Pride Month is celebrated in June to commemorate the Stonewall Riots when LGBTQ people protested against the oppression and persecution of the community. They were not civil, they were not polite, they rose up.​

Palestinians also have the right to protest, but since the beginning of the Great Return March in Gaza, more than 100 demonstrators have been killed. As members of a community that is still fighting for full rights and equality, we will not be silent in the face of human rights violations and repression of the freedom to protest. We will stand in solidarity with the Palestinians living under occupation and under siege. We oppose pinkwashing. We are proud of who we are, and we are shouting — there is no pride in occupation.​

https://972mag.com/lgbtq-activists-block-tel-aviv-pride-march-there-is-no-pride-in-occupation/136066/
Good for these people to speak up for the oppressed. They are true heroes.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Can you guys stop derailing my thread please?

This is about Israel's hypocrisy, not about which countries or religions murder gay people.
You're right and I apologize. I sometimes get carried away when people make false allegations against my religion.

mecca

Superstar
What Israel is doing is similar to when the Nazis allowed gay people in their army (for a short period of time before killing them all) in order to appear less fascist. Basically using gay people as propaganda.

Gay parades in Israel don't excuse Israel's treatment of Palestinians and it doesn't make them progressive. They can't claim to care about minorities rights while simultaneously oppressing Palestinian people in a fascistic manner.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
What Israel is doing is similar to when the Nazis allowed gay people in their army (for a short period of time before killing them all) in order to appear less fascist. Basically using gay people as propaganda.

Gay parades in Israel don't excuse Israel's treatment of Palestinians and it doesn't make them progressive. They can't claim to care about minorities rights while simultaneously oppressing Palestinian people in a fascistic manner.
Not to derail the discussion further, but the Nazis only tolerated gay, high ranking party members and their partners long enough for them to be useful during their rise to power, and even then they had to keep it from public knowledge. Once they no longer needed Rohm and the Brownshirts, it was the Night of Long Knives for them.

elsbet

Superstar
Can you guys stop derailing my thread please?

This is about Israel's hypocrisy, not about which countries or religions murder gay people.
I think they support it. I don't think they're trying to be cool like the article says. And it's kind of unfortunate. It would be sufficient to be neutral, unlike the people they are defending who kill LGBT people for being LGBT.

elsbet

Superstar
... but yet you can't provide me one on homosexuality? You have 1400 years of Islam. It should be very easy for you.

Give me the link for the Aljazeera nonsense you posted.
The link for the article on ...

a.) Imprisoned homosexual people, and​
b.) The reporters who were convicted of "publicly discussing homosexuality..."​

No wonder there is so little information in 1400 years-- it is illegal to discuss homosexuality. Again.. very clever.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Hmm... I think you overlooked these:

As it suits.
Still waiting for the sources where Muslim governments punish people for simply being a homosexual. I'm never surprised at how many claims you make about Islam but yet never able to back it up. But that's to be expected from Zionist liars.

DesertRose

Superstar
As it suits.
I believe that he means some ancient pre-Islamic Arab and Asian cultures.
Or that most societies do not persecute innocents regarding this issue. Which was brought up in this thread.
Nothing can be suited to what people want. Islam is not the religion for the expedient.

Take note how she was not able to produce one case in the last 1400 years where a Muslim government punished someone for simply being a homosexual.
Noted. Later akhi.

Apologies sister @mecca for my contribution to this thread's derailment.

Last edited:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
For everyone decrying the Islamic worlds treatment of homosexuals while portraying Israel as a bastion of same-sex tolerance..... unfortunately, Indonesia puts Israel to shame.

elsbet

Superstar
Still waiting for the sources where Muslim governments punish people for simply being a homosexual. I'm never surprised at how many claims you make about Islam but yet never able to back it up. But that's to be expected from Zionist liars.
No, you're not.

I already linked exactly what you requested in the last response-- even after you changed the Terms of your Demands and didn't deserve the courtesy.

Now, you're avoiding it. :rolleyes:

It being the linked article about the journalists who were penalized for interviewing the men jailed for homosexuality because it's against the law to talk about it. :rolleyes:

Your dishonesty is unbelievable.

Kung Fu

Superstar
No, you're not.

I already linked exactly what you requested in the last response-- even after you changed the Terms of your Demands and didn't deserve the courtesy.

Now, you're avoiding it. :rolleyes:

It being the linked article about the journalists who were penalized for interviewing the men jailed for homosexuality because it's against the law to talk about it. :rolleyes:

Your dishonesty is unbelievable.
Sorry for asking for the primary source in which the cases are being dealt with because you know I was being too rational and coherent. The article you linked doesn't reference anything so how am I supposed to know it's telling the truth? It doesn't reference the court case or any of the laws prohibiting speech about homosexuality. Also, these journalists are supposedly being jailed for discussing homosexuality and not being arrested for being homosexuals. Those are two very different things.

Show me the Yemeni law that prohibits speech regarding homosexuality?

Thus far you have not been able to provide me one primary source or secondary source from any Islamic government within the last 1400 years of them punishing a person for the simple fact of them being gay. You have posted an Aljizeera article which isn't even about people being punished for being homosexuals and yet you claim you provided a rebuttal and or source. The article has no references where you can trace it back. No mention no nothing about the Yemeni laws they broke no nothing. That's not considered evidence or a source by any stretch of the means within the academic world.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Sorry for derailing the thread again, Mecca but it can't be helped considering we have a Zionist on here who pretends like they have a case but yet haven't given me one piece of evidence regarding an Islamic government punishing someone for simply being gay.

Plasticity

Rookie
It's ironic how some Christians are presenting this negative stereotype of Muslims and their governments regarding their relationships the LGBT community when the very same case can be against Christians themselves.

KF, as I can see does have a point seeing as the articles people have posted in this thread have been crimes of r*pe, sexual assault, and supposed lack of free speech. They have been anything but the punishment of people for solely being gay. It's crystal clear that the West wants to portray Islam as this gay killing machine but fail to actually produce any kind of real academic evidence or court procedures of people being punished for being gay.

elsbet

Superstar
Sorry for asking for the primary source in which the cases are being dealt with because you know I was being too rational and coherent. The article you linked doesn't reference anything so how am I supposed to know it's telling the truth? It doesn't reference the court case or any of the laws prohibiting speech about homosexuality. Also, these journalists are supposedly being jailed for discussing homosexuality and not being arrested for being homosexuals. Those are two very different things.

Show me the Yemeni law that prohibits speech regarding homosexuality?

Thus far you have not been able to provide me one primary source or secondary source from any Islamic government within the last 1400 years of them punishing a person for the simple fact of them being gay. You have posted an Aljizeera article which isn't even about people being punished for being homosexuals and yet you claim you provided a rebuttal and or source. The article has no references where you can trace it back. No mention no nothing about the Yemeni laws they broke no nothing. That's not considered evidence or a source by any stretch of the means within the academic world.
The laws are cited in the link and the previous citation.

You're just shady. :cool: